Just done a stupid thing

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Upgraded my jriver version 20 to the new 64bit version 23

Been having a few problems lately ripping discs(convinced it's pirate Amazon fakes)

Anyway due to all the talk about wave/flac lately I just deleted all my mucic from my hard drive to start again.

Now I've done it I fell like I've been a bit of an idiot
All that ripping again

This time I'm going to rip to wave to see as I can always convert it to flac after if I wish.

OHHH NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

what a horrible nightmare .lol

I'm sure it was ripped just fine in the first place.see what doubt can bring,I'm ripping my discs to uncompressed flac files not that it makes a difference,but it'll make me sleep easy at night.

And wav is even better still apparently or not .........maybe....it just depends on who is listening.lol.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
OHHH NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I'm sure it was ripped just fine in the first place.see what doubt can bring,I'm ripping my discs to uncompressed flac files not that it makes a difference,but it'll make me sleep easy at night.

And wav is even better still apparently or not .........maybe....it just depends on who is listening.lol.

Can I compliment you on being a right royal idiot. ;-)

Perhaps you should have bought a second hard drive for your new rips..... which aren't going to sound any different to the originals anyway...

I'll get my coat....

P.S.: Is that new version of JRiver any better? My last upgrade stopped doing things like ejecting disc after ripping that I was used to. An upgrade that deletes all of your usual settings is not an upgrade in my mind. ;-)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
OHHH NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Can I compliment you on being a right royal idiot.  ;-) 

Perhaps you should have bought a second hard drive for your new rips..... which aren't going to sound any different to the originals anyway...

I'll get my coat....

P.S.: Is that new version of JRiver any better? My last upgrade stopped doing things like ejecting disc after ripping that I was used to. An upgrade that deletes all of your usual settings is not an upgrade in my mind.  ;-)

I haven't tested the new software yet but what I liked was the new 64bit software that's claimed upto 15percent faster and also can put up to 16gig into memory for playback(if that's any advantage I'm not sure)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Why not just convert FLAC to WAV? Could've been done in software and would save you a lot of hassle.

Yes I did this but it only would convert to wavpack and not uncompressed wave
So was not sure.

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
Why not just convert FLAC to WAV? Could've been done in software and would save you a lot of hassle.

So was not sure.
I don't follow, sorry Andrew. Was this software limitation? Please explain.

My understanding is FLAC contains the same data as WAV as both are lossless. You can convert it either way however many times you want and achieve the same file as the original.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:

So was not sure.
I don't follow, sorry Andrew. Was this software limitation? Please explain.

My understanding is FLAC contains the same data as WAV as both are lossless. You can convert it either way however many times you want and achieve the same file as the original.

That is also my understanding but when I tried to do it the option in jriver only gave me wavpack
And I never researched what it was.

I've just started ripping now
Much quicker to rip to wave than flac on my pc using jriver

Also not getting the cd sticking as was on same disc ripping to flac so now I'm not sure what caused this.
We just blame all of this to ellisdj for giving me the paronia of hifi

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Ellisdj is not the only person who mentioned this. I've heard it from a mate of mine who decided to convert his FLAC library to WAV. The explanation given wasn't at all convincing.

Haha
I actually am enjoying this
Maybe it's good for me

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
ellisdj said:
Nothing stupid about that wavs all the way.
Why do you say that? Why would they sound any different? Genuinely curious

Once I'm up and running with a few CDs I'll keep some wave and also make copies of same cd in flac. Listen for a few weeks then decide if there are differences.
My head says no but still I do it.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I did my own testing and thought wav sounded better. I wouldnt compress the flac even if I ripped to flac so its pointless to rip to flac in my opinion.

I am only about 500gb used on a 1tb ssd so not worried about storage

insider9

ellisdj said:
I did my own testing and thought wav sounded better. I wouldnt compress the flac even if I ripped to flac so its pointless to rip to flac in my opinion.

I am only about 500gb used on a 1tb ssd so not worried about storage
Ok, thanks. Interesting

Agree storage is not an issue. But SSD are not the cheapest. Still no need for fast access so something like WD Green should suffice.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Its all about the noise my man - ssd sound better, did my own testing on that as well but not tried different ones, Just bought Samsung Evo.

You can pick them up cheaper on ebay

insider9

ellisdj said:
Its all about the noise my man - ssd sound better, did my own testing on that as well but not tried different ones, Just bought Samsung Evo.

If you mean noise as in actually hearing the HDD spin you won't unless you put an ear to WD Green 5200rpm. When I first got it I wasn't sure it was on. It is slow though but definitely fast enough for music playback or backup.

I've put together most our desktops and absolutely detest anything that emits noise (drives, fans, power supplies).

I'm running Samsung Evo and SanDisk Extreme Pro as well as other slower SSDs and their pricing is acceptable at 250GB but the larger drives just cost silly money when compared to HDD.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:

I'd also go SSD as no moving parts and silent

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts