Just broken my Cyrus DAC-X

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
After seeing the testimonials of the Silver High Breed
cables recently I decided to give them a go (Synergy 2i). However, beware the RCA plugs on these
interconnects are very tight fitting (on my kit at least). I was trying to do a bit of an interconnect
test this afternoon which involved pushing them on and off very carefully a
couple of times on the DAC & pre-amp.

After pushing them on the 3rd time I noticed distortion
through the right speaker and after trying different interconnects and inputs
on the amp, etc. tracked it down to the
right output of the DAC. It seems I’ve
damaged the phono sockets (or something internal) on the DAC, somehow resulting
in distortion on the right output of the DAC
emotion-9.gif

Unfortunately, the DAC-X is out now of warranty, but
hopefully the Cyrus bods will be able to fix it without too large a bill.

On the plus side the wife has been at me for a while about
the number of boxes under the telly, so she should be happy. The other plus point is how good the MF V-DAC
sounds that I’ve stolen from my computer/headphone setup.

Wish me luck with Cyrus!

Rob.

A

Anonymous

Hi ROB,

I've bought a pair of SHB S2i's a few days ago (still in their burning-in process) and loved the RCA plug's perfectfly snugged fiiting. However, you should be aware about the HIFI's Rule Of Thumb: NEVER fiddle with any preamp, CDP or DAC's rear connections with your power amp "ON" or you could either damage your speakers or your amp. Unfortunately, in your case your DAC got damaged.

Out of the box the SHB S2i sounds awesome but I noticed that the sound gets better the longer you use them. I will report again after the recommended "burn-in" period BUT having dabbled and wasted money with loads of expensive ICs like Chord, Nordost, Black Rhodium etc...I have to admit that the SHB S2i's blew all of them away to dust for just less than £30 inclusive. I'm talking about the S2i's not reaching their required burn-in period. Just try to imagine how will they sound like after 60 hours of playing.

Wishing you all the best in having your DAC repaired.

jhoffman

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, I had assumed the damage was physical due to the extremely tight fitting plugs, however the DAC was in standby mode, not properly turned off, so maybe it's what you suggest. I hope not, as I think electrical damage sounds more expensive to fix!

When Cyrus get back to me I'll update this post.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts