I've booked a demo.....

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
What you're saying about them pretty much reminds me of what I get with my speakers, the Triangle Titus EZ. And what I remember about the Argon 1 at the Bristol show is similar to the sound I get with the Titus, albeit I'm sure these put out a smaller sound than the Argon 1 as they are an even smaller box. As far as lower volumes is concerned, I think my speakers sound ok at lower volumes, but I have nothing to compare them against. Small combo acoustic music sounds particularly good at low volumes where you don't really miss the power. Driving, electrically amped rock sounds less convincing at low volumes, but I'm guessing this would be the case with many speakers.

The Argon 1s sound like they're right in my wheel house and I bet they sound great with your Leema amp. You've got a tough decision to make. Do you think you will do an AB comparison with the Dali Rubicon 2?
I would love to have a home demo of the Dali Rubis but there's a long delivery time. In fact Richer Sounds couldn't give a lead time.

The fact remains that the other demos have been shop based. The Rubis, though, sounded very impressive.

Yup, Leema/Amphions are a very good combo.

Reactions: Al ears
Smaller speakers in general tend to need a bit of driving for them to sound their best, usually due to their lower efficiency compared to larger models. With smaller speakers, you can’t have good sensitivity, a nice impedance curve, and bass extension - one has to be compromised. How a speaker is voiced depends whether they’re still detailed at lower volumes - drawback is, if they are, they’re usually a bit forward/bright/harsh sounding when the wick is turned up. Same with speakers that have good bass at lower volumes - it usually tends to be overbearing at higher volumes. This was usually counteracted by the loudness button on older amplifiers.

With Amphion’s background of studio monitors, their speakers will be very detailed, will keep their composure at higher volumes (with a suitable amplifier, of course), and won’t be kind to lesser quality recordings. Their domestic models are pretty much ideantical to their pro models except that the pro models use a 100Hz lower crossover point, at 1500Hz instead of 1600Hz.
I understand what you are saying, I'm mainly trying establish the ideal compromise.

Different. The PMCs have a little extra texture to the lower frequencies, which is understandable given the size of the mid/bass driver. But the gap isn't huge and the Argons sound much bigger than their diminutive size.
To my mind the Amphions were hardly a fair comparison with your existing PMCs. In a price relate comparison you should have been auditioning the Argon 3S at the very least....

To my mind the Amphions were hardly a fair comparison with your existing PMCs. In a price relate comparison you should have been auditioning the Argon 3S at the very least....
Correct. The whole point of this is to establish what comes close or betters the PMCs below the 2k.

Those Dalis really got my juices flowing but it was at Richer Sounds and a relatively short demo. I need to hear these Argons side by side with the Dali Rubis. No idea how I can do this....yet😋

I'll find a way.
(Photos will prove this)😁
Took me a long time to determine that no speakers I had heard came close to beating the American Acoustics Zens that I now own, for the same money.
But back then actually finding a pair to audition against was near impossible, at some point you get to a situation where you say this is it and I am happy with it.
I was lucky enough to hear other members speakers including one nearby that had Sonus Fabre Grand Piano at the time which made up my mind that I would have to spend a whole lot more to better what I already had.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano

doifeellucky

I'll find a way.
(Photos will prove this)😁
From the other comments in this post I’m guessing you’re somewhere west of London and you mentioned being prepared to drive 90 minutes. On that basis I would recommend trying Premiumsound. I had a demo there before Christmas and they were able to source Lumina II in 3 days when no one else locally had stock. They stock Amphion (had the Argon 1 in store) and Dali and Triangle and lots of others brands. In fact I’d say they have the broadest range I’ve seen, with the exception of a few British brands. Very nice shop (almost too nice) and demo room, and coffee. I only had an hour in there after work but they typically offer a 3 hour demo and home trials. They just setup whatever you need and leave you to it, with coffee, and only come back (you press a button) when you want to swap gear around. If you really want to AB the Rubicon 2, Argon 1 and your own gear they might be the best option. I must get back there as the Argon 1 are on my list as well as the Menuet SE and those Comete 40th.

Last edited:
From the other comments in this post I’m guessing you’re somewhere west of London and you mentioned being prepared to drive 90 minutes. On that basis I would recommend trying Premiumsound. I had a demo there before Christmas and they were able to source Lumina II in 3 days when no one else locally had stock. They stock Amphion (had the Argon 1 in store) and Dali and Triangle and lots of others brands. In fact I’d say they have the broadest range I’ve seen, with the exception of a few British brands. Very nice shop (almost too nice) and demo room, and coffee. I only had an hour in there after work but they typically offer a 3 hour demo and home trials. They just setup whatever you need and leave you to it, with coffee, and only come back (you press a button) when you want to swap gear around. If you really want to AB the Rubicon 2, Argon 1 and your own gear they might be the best option. I must get back there as the Argon 1 are on my list as well as the Menuet SE and those Comete 40th.
No. They are miles away from me in W8. I live near Guildford. The traffic and parking around that part of London is a nightmare.

Thanks for the suggestion.

My daughter and Mrs. P like these Argons. But it would need a sub. Even though they have really good bass depth for their size, the key words is "for their size". Also my daughter hates metal stands, so have to replace them with wooden ones. No idea how they sound.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
My daughter and Mrs. P like these Argons. But it would need a sub. Even though they have really good bass depth for their size, the key words is "for their size". Also my daughter hates metal stands, so have to replace them with wooden ones. No idea how they sound.
How do they stack up against the Neat sx2 that you liked? Also, Audio Chic do some great wooden stands, worth checking out. I've enjoyed reading your quest, thanks.

How do they stack up against the Neat sx2 that you liked? Also, Audio Chic do some great wooden stands, worth checking out. I've enjoyed reading your quest, thanks.
Should be me thanking you guys.

As with the other speakers I've shop demoed, it's tricky to make any accurate comparisons.

From what I heard on a relative short demo, the Neat SX are very good, and I guess are slow burners. One thing that struck me since having the Amphions on home trial is the midrange of the SXs sound a little cluttered. The Argons midrange is actually very good. But don't quote me on this because if I could blag a home trial of Neats my answer could be very different.

So far the stand outs are the Argons and the Dalis.

Well, having demoed these Argons over the whole weekend they are a pleasure to listen to. Lovely tonal qualities, dynamics and definition.

I was thinking back to when I had the Harbeth P3s for 7 days. They were gorgeous in many respects, but a little too staid for me to live with. By contrast, the Argon 1s have many of the P3 sonic traits with a bit more verve. But the fact remains the Argons are over half the price of the P3s, it's a no brainer.

Do the Argons do enough to topple the PMCs? No. Just slightly fall short but I have to factor in the size difference, which I'll need at some point to add a sub for film and TV enjoyment.

Perhaps, as David suggested, the Argon 3s are a lot closer to the PMCs....but until I see them in the flesh, can't tell if the 3s are workable in terms of positioning.

It's tough as I still want to hear the Dali Rubis alongside the Argons.

Been a great journey regardless of the brand I end up with.

Well, having demoed these Argons over the whole weekend they are a pleasure to listen to. Lovely tonal qualities, dynamics and definition.

I was thinking back to when I had the Harbeth P3s for 7 days. They were gorgeous in many respects, but a little too staid for me to live with. By contrast, the Argon 1s have many of the P3 sonic traits with a bit more verve. But the fact remains the Argons are over half the price of the P3s, it's a no brainer.

Do the Argons do enough to topple the PMCs? No. Just slightly fall short but I have to factor in the size difference, which I'll need at some point to add a sub for film and TV enjoyment.

Perhaps, as David suggested, the Argon 3s are a lot closer to the PMCs....but until I see them in the flesh, can't tell if the 3s are workable in terms of positioning.

It's tough as I still want to hear the Dali Rubis alongside the Argons.

Been a great journey regardless of the brand I end up with.
Who suggested the 3S ?? :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts