I've booked a demo.....

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Davidf of The Little Audio Company suggested in size and price (or the price my TB2s would be if still made) the 3s are closer than the 1s.
I think the TB2i would likely be nearer the £2k mark nowadays, if they were still in production, but size wise, a fairer comparison. Plus, a passive radiator, which works over w wider range than a conventional port, will have more in common with a transmission line port.

Yes, very interesting.

Those Amphions are fabulous speakers, and listened for a around half an hour, tweaking the position of the speakers every now and then to find the sweet spot.

Thanks to @amormusic for flagging up these small speakers. For their size, they punch well beyond their small size.

However, switch to Dali Rubicon 2 and the difference is immediately noticeable: some respects they sound warmer, and even though they are 4 ohms we had more volume compared to 8 ohm Argons. Truth is the Rubis give a much bigger sound; better balanced, more natural, especially in vocals -- just more precision. They really are stunning all-rounders.

My daughter came with me, just for confirmation. Her ears are better than mine. My findings were the same as hers. The improvement is very audible.

The Dalis are a sweet sounding standmount, and although a little bigger than the Argons, they're not as tall or wide or deep as the PMCs.

Dalis for me. The only snag is delivery time. I've asked RS to keep me updated on lead time. It could be anywhere between 1 and 6 months.

They are a wicked sounding speaker.

EDIT

Took a couple of pics

Attachments

• 20220407_111907.jpg
    20220407_111907.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220407_113524.jpg
    20220407_113524.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220407_115030.jpg
    20220407_115030.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 27
Yes, very interesting.

Those Amphions are fabulous speakers, and listened for a around half an hour, tweaking the position of the speakers every now and then to find the sweet spot.

Thanks to @amormusic for flagging up these small speakers. For their size, they punch well beyond their small size.

However, switch to Dali Rubicon 2 and the difference is immediately noticeable: some respects they sound warmer, and even though they are 4 ohms we had more volume compared to 8 ohm Argons. Truth is the Rubis give a much bigger sound; better balanced, more natural, especially in vocals -- just more precision. They really are stunning all-rounders.

My daughter came with me, just for confirmation. Her ears are better than mine. My findings were the same as hers. The improvement is very audible.

The Dalis are a sweet sounding standmount, and although a little bigger than the Argons, they're not as tall or wide or deep as the PMCs.

Dalis for me. The only snag is delivery time. I've asked RS to keep me updated on lead time. It could be anywhere between 1 and 6 months.

They are a wicked sounding speaker.
when you said update is I thought you mean on the quality big the pub lunch.... :)
Interesting to note your opinion on the Amphions.
Perhaps if they had been the Argon 3's the results might have been different, they are a tad more expensive though.

Reactions: davidf
when you said update is I thought you mean on the quality big the pub lunch.... :)
Interesting to note your opinion on the Amphions.
Perhaps if they had been the Argon 3's the results might have been different, they are a tad more expensive though.
Nah. The pub lunch was gooood.

That's the dilemma: Argon 3s or the Rubis. The Dalis are cheaper. They look nice and they sound lovely.

RS are going to update me as and when Dali come back with a lead time.

What's £300 when you're after your ideal speakers..... :cool:
Surprised at the lead time on those Dalis, does no other dealer have them in stock?
In this day and age, with rising inflation, £300 is a lot.

Plus I've done so much demoing over the last 3 weeks, the Dalis are clearly better than the rest. I can't be bothered to do anymore.

Sure there is other dealers, but whether the lead time is any better or not is debatable. RS are a major chain, unlikely any indepenent dealer will be quicker.

RS can supply black or white, but those colours show up too much muck: dust, finger marks etc etc

D

Deleted member 160668

Those Dali's are great then! Cool! I'll need to get my ears around a set at some point.

Glad you are pleased with the result. Shame about the very long wait though to get a set.

Reactions: Al ears

Plus I've done so much demoing over the last 3 weeks, the Dalis are clearly better than the rest. I can't be bothered to do anymore.

Sure there is other dealers, but whether the lead time is any better or not is debatable. RS are a major chain, unlikely any indepenent dealer will be quicker.

RS can supply black or white, but those colours show up too much muck: dust, finger marks etc etc
Roger that. Just thought some dealers might actually hold stock of them rather than just having one demo pair, Fanthorpes claim to have them in and they do part ex if you are getting rid of the PMCs

Reactions: michael hoy
Roger that. Just thought some dealers might actually hold stock of them rather than just having one demo pair, Fanthorpes claim to have them in and they do part ex if you are getting rid of the PMCs
The other way to look at it is those Argon 1s I would have to add a sub further down the line. With the Dalis, not needed. They sound almost as big as a compact floorstander. But they're not a one trick pony. They are fab.

Think I'll RS the chance to source the stock first. They've been very good.

Those Dali's are great then! Cool! I'll need to get my ears around a set at some point.

Glad you are pleased with the result. Shame about the very long wait though to get a set.
I'm sure you would be impressed. The Leema and Dalis are fab combo, pretty sure your Suggy will extend them further.

Those little Argons are quite amazing for their size and money, but there's a pretty large gulf between them and the Dalis.

Cheers.

Can I just add (not knocking What Hi-fi review teams) but I came across a review they did of the Argon 1s. They said they lacked timing and dynamics. To my ears they were very adept in those areas.

Also with the Dalis they said not the best at low volumes. When I tried them at idling levels, they are as good as the TB2s.

Reactions: davidf and Al ears
Can I just add (not knocking What Hi-fi review teams) but I came across a review they did of the Argon 1s. They said they lacked timing and dynamics. To my ears they were very adept in those areas.

Also with the Dalis they said not the best at low volumes. When I tried them at idling levels, they are as good as the TB2s.
Quite often reviews by WHF are at odds with other publications and my own personal opinions....... Ho hum!

My only regret in this quest is I wanted to hear ATC and ProAc. But I've listened to a diverse amount of speakers. I can't be bothered to lug the stuff any further.

The first time I heard those Dalis, albeit an initial short listen, something in their sound spiked my interest. Comparing the smaller Argons, which are fabulous (really enjoyed having these for the last week). Great to live with and just a joy. But the Dalis take it to a different level.

Shame, Argon 3S can be had in about 7-10 days from Finland, and I’ve have loaned you mine to try out, as they’d certainly be a more direct comparison :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts