iTunes Help Request

rhamilto

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
Hello everyone. New member here.

About four years ago, I downloaded iTunes onto my desktop to store and manage my music, as I acquired my first iPod.

About two years ago, I procured a laptop and an external hard drive; and copied my music library and data across to the laptop – so I could manage my iTunes and iPod on EITHER the desktop or the laptop.

The two libraries became a little out of sync, as I ended up favouring the laptop.

This wasn’t an issue because I managed the music using the external harddrive.

This then crashed and I lost the data, including a few albums that I had downloaded from iTunes straight onto the external harddrive; which are now lost.

ANYWAY.

I now have a new laptop. I have downloaded iTunes and copied my music library onto a NEW external harddrive.

Inside the new external harddrive, I have a “Back-Up Copies” folder that is most likely those files that I have on both the OLD laptop and the OLD desktop.

THE PROBLEM:

The new iTunes on the NEW laptop has automatically synched and read both the normal album data, and the ‘Back-Up Copies’ folder – creating duplicates.

I have since gone into the NEW laptop harddrive and moved the ‘Back-Up Copies’ folder OUT of the iTunes music folder.

I now have around 4,000 duplicates, where one track name is correct, and in the right place, and can be played from iTunes; and the other “cannot be found” (b because I moved the ‘Back-Up Copies’ folder out of iTunes Music).

I can see all the duplicates by using the “Show Duplicates” function in iTunes.

Is there a quicker, more convenient way of deleting the duplicates rather than double clicking EACH AND EVERY song to identify whether it’s the right one, or the one that “cannot be found” anymore (and indicated by the exclamation mark)?

A

Anonymous

Unplug your external drive. Open Itunes and delete everything. Reconnect your external drive and sync again

A

Anonymous

ianmcg:Unplug your external drive.ÿ Open Itunes and delete everything.ÿ Reconnect your external drive and sync again

Will work but alot of hassle! I've posted a link on OP's other thread to an Applescript which allows you to do this easily if you're on a mac Ian.ÿ

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
The perils of multiple posting. Differing advice on differing threads. It's not a lot of hassle at all. It'll take seconds to disconnect the drive, a few more to select all in iTunes, another second or two to press delete.

Once that's done use Add To Library to add your top level music directory then go and make your souffle while it loads up.

A

Anonymous

ianandyr:
Once that's done use Add To Library to add your top level music directory then go and make your souffle while it loads up.

Depends how big your library is I suppose - I wouldn't want to have to unnecessarily load mine if I didn't need to.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Thanks Octopo but I am a PC user and had this problem myself a few years back. It was relatively paiinless doing it the way I described. I had about 7500 songs to sync and just left it running overnight. Ipod fully charged and fully loaded when I awoke.

Don't know if there is anything like Applescript for a pc but it would be good to know for future reference if us PC users ever have this problem again

A

Anonymous

You silly silly bi.ch.

I TOLD you to buy the Saisho but you ignored me, as usual. Well, don't come crying to me when your library synchronisation issues become too much for you.

Good luck though x

TRENDING THREADS