It's all about system matching - I found out too late...

gongli

Nov 1, 2021
Visit site
I foolishly spent as much as a luxury car on my main system and I just changed the speakers on my 2nd system from the Paradigm Studio to the Monitor Audio Bronze and I am enjoying the dark and warm British sound so much that I started wondering why I spent so much on my main...

I had it mated to Outlaw receiver which is not a warm sounding power, and it didn't go well with another gear ( Paradigm Studio speakers) that had similar sound character, but when I switched to the Monitor Audio Bronze floor model, all clicked and I am enjoying music beyond my expectations, and as you all know, the Paradigm Studio costs many times over the Monitor Audio Bronze.

So, it's not how much you spend but how smartly you match the system I just found out - I wish I had known this a long ago, and it would have saved me much mullah and time and effort in this exciting hobby of sonic nirvanah...

If I had to do it all over again, I would stop at mid-fi and get something like Cambridge Audio amp mated with Monitor Audio silver and call it a day, all for less than $1000 US Dollar.

Anyone else found this to be true? What are your favorite system matching gears?

My advice to the newcomers is not to spend outlandish amount of mullah before you learn to system matching, since quite a bit of enjoyment can be had for little money these days - especially thanks to British offerings...

Monitor Audio speakers and Cambridge Audio amp were positively reviewed here on What HIFI, so let's keep reading it to save money and enjoy music more.

Gray

....I am enjoying the dark and warm British sound
:unsure: Dark and warm is the opposite of the sound that I prefer (I'm English).
I've always set strict budget limits and never just bought anything that took my fancy - and that's worked out OK.
I've spent more on music than any single item of gear (and much of it combined).
Ultimately, it's all about the music after all.
These days there are some real bargains and no need for anyone to overspend.
Glad you're happy with your sound (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: gongli

rainsoothe

I foolishly spent as much as a luxury car on my main system and I just changed the speakers on my 2nd system from the Paradigm Studio to the Monitor Audio Bronze and I am enjoying the dark and warm British sound so much that I started wondering why I spent so much on my main...

I had it mated to Outlaw receiver which is not a warm sounding power, and it didn't go well with another gear ( Paradigm Studio speakers) that had similar sound character, but when I switched to the Monitor Audio Bronze floor model, all clicked and I am enjoying music beyond my expectations, and as you all know, the Paradigm Studio costs many times over the Monitor Audio Bronze.

So, it's not how much you spend but how smartly you match the system I just found out - I wish I had known this a long ago, and it would have saved me much mullah and time and effort in this exciting hobby of sonic nirvanah...

If I had to do it all over again, I would stop at mid-fi and get something like Cambridge Audio amp mated with Monitor Audio silver and call it a day, all for less than $1000 US Dollar.

Anyone else found this to be true? What are your favorite system matching gears?

My advice to the newcomers is not to spend outlandish amount of mullah before you learn to system matching, since quite a bit of enjoyment can be had for little money these days - especially thanks to British offerings...

Monitor Audio speakers and Cambridge Audio amp were positively reviewed here on What HIFI, so let's keep reading it to save money and enjoy music more.
Hi. I agree with what you're saying, but be careful with generalizations - not all Monitor Audio speakers sound warm, actually most of their models are or used to be known for their brightness. Everyone should audition, and yes, sinergy is the most important.

Something I have learnt over the years is that it is possible to find a reviewer that seems to have hearing very similar to my own and I then read with interest what that particular reviewer has to say. Other reviewers, I have found, seem to be on a completely different planet when they review the same item.
Even when you find a reviewer that agrees with what you perceive when you yourself audition an item things can change over the years.
I have noticed a slight loss of treble perception, due solely to my age, so that some speakers I might have considered overly bright years ago now sound just about right... :)
As a result I no longer have preconceived ideas as to a speakers presentation and have to audition for myself.

Hi. I agree with what you're saying, but be careful with generalizations - not all Monitor Audio speakers sound warm, actually most of their models are or used to be known for their brightness. Everyone should audition, and yes, sinergy is the most important.
I still own the RS6s. They're not bright but are lively in a good way. They really do rock with the Leema.

I've said for years that synergy is everything.

For me it's always been - in general terms - matching light with dark (smooth and lively). Generally speaking, depending on room acoustics, if you match light with light it can sound bright or sterile, and on the flipside matching dark with dark it can sound like sonic soup -- lifeless or too safe sounding. The trick is to find that happy medium which isn't easy, especially if it's a mix and match set-up. Or as I often say you need to find the yin and yang.

Reactions: Al ears

gongli

Nov 1, 2021
Visit site
Thanks penguin for your wisdom! I never knew that - it makes sense what you are saying.
Today I found another synergy with Nad receiver and PSB speakers. I heard that they are the same company - perhaps they are made to compliment each other. They sure sound good and are very reasonably priced for what they do ( I have the older 7020 model NAD which has 3020 amp section - some people think that’s the best NAD has done - except their upper level gears ).

I am a happy camper now, with this synergy stuff...

Rainsooth, I also have Monitor Audio silver speakers and yes they are brighter than their bronze...thanks for pointing that out - Yes over generalizing should be avoided I suppose...

For me it's always been - in general terms - matching light with dark (smooth and lively). Generally speaking, depending on room acoustics, if you match light with light it can sound bright or sterile, and on the flipside matching dark with dark it can sound like sonic soup -- lifeless or too safe sounding. The trick is to find that happy medium which isn't easy, especially if it's a mix and match set-up. Or as I often say you need to find the yin and yang.
The problem being it is often a very long road before you find your yin and yang. :)

Reactions: nopiano
FWIW, I’m less persuaded these days by ‘synergy’ because I think it’s one of those things you believe or you don’t. A bit like whether audiophile mains cables can improve the sound, or whether gold plated Ethernet cables sound better.

Now I’d say straight away that nobody would likely want a notably bright pair of speakers with a bright sounding amp, unless very bright was their preference. But since high fidelity is essentially about accuracy, I’d personally try to mix mostly accurate sounding gear, rather than trying to compensate for flaws with an opposing trait. (Synergy is different when matching cartridge compliance to arm mass, but that’s not relevant here)

However, there are some pairings that in my experience are fairly dependable, such as:-

* Naim with Neat speakers
* Rotel with B&W speakers
* Valve amps with ProAcs

So, rather than the OP’s system lacking the mysterious ‘synergy’ it simply doesn’t seem to have been chosen properly, with any real understanding or listening (no offence). Any decent dealer would have demonstrated it, offered take it back, or have installed it to the customer’s satisfaction.

You can’t choose paint or wallpaper over the phone, and you shouldn’t choose hifi without listening. :)

FWIW, I’m less persuaded these days by ‘synergy’ because I think it’s one of those things you believe or you don’t. A bit like whether audiophile mains cables can improve the sound, or whether gold plated Ethernet cables sound better.

Now I’d say straight away that nobody would likely want a notably bright pair of speakers with a bright sounding amp, unless very bright was their preference. But since high fidelity is essentially about accuracy, I’d personally try to mix mostly accurate sounding gear, rather than trying to compensate for flaws with an opposing trait. (Synergy is different when matching cartridge compliance to arm mass, but that’s not relevant here)

However, there are some pairings that in my experience are fairly dependable, such as:-

* Naim with Neat speakers
* Rotel with B&W speakers
* Valve amps with ProAcs

So, rather than the OP’s system lacking the mysterious ‘synergy’ it simply doesn’t seem to have been chosen properly, with any real understanding or listening (no offence). Any decent dealer would have demonstrated it, offered take it back, or have installed it to the customer’s satisfaction.

You can’t choose paint or wallpaper over the phone, and you shouldn’t choose hifi without listening. :)
Synergy certainly isn't a myth or a personal opinion, but it's down to degree. Whether it's bright speakers with smoother amp or t'other way round. In all fairness I did say "generally speaking" and "it can" as room acoustics is one of the biggest influences on tonal quality. Then you have to factor in the those flappy things sticking out the side of your head. We all know that hi-fi isn't an exact science.

For me, every component has a bearing on tonal quality, even you mix 'light/dark'. Your amp is a Primare (fairly neutral) with ATC (neutral) with smoother digital sources (Marantz, Oppo). Newer Marantz stuff may not be as warm or smooth as their older siblings, hence why I said it's down to degree. That light and dark or yin and yang has always been my basic rule of
thumb.
For example I wouldn't match MA Silvers with a Cyrus amp and digital source if my living room had the acoustic properties of a barn

TRENDING THREADS