It seems non-audiophiles never tire of proving that everything sounds the same.

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Lee H said:
fr0g said:
You see how I used the word "believe"? If I had been absolutist, I would have said "You can't" rather than "I don't believe you can".

In fariness, you can see how it could have been read the other way. Not taking sides, just saying

Possibly, but I then offered the challenge and the promise of glory :). I was trying to get him to rise to it, but it obviously didn't work :)

A

Anonymous

Ah yes, BUT...to a blind person, all sheep look the same :rofl:

In fact there are no black sheep, nor white sheep, only grey sheep. And in that context all sheep ARE the same. You'd have to perform an ABX test to prove otherwise ;)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Portions of this thread remind me of this 'joke' I read recently in Simon Singh's Fermat's Theorum (hey, it's a book about maths, there's not much humour...)

An engineer, physicist and a mathematician were on a train heading north, and had just crossed the border into Scotland.

The engineer looked out of the window and said "Look! Scottish sheep are black!"

The physicist said, "No, no. Some Scottish sheep are black."

The mathematician looked irritated. "There is at least one field, containing at least one sheep, of which at least one side is black."

And if they had two more travel companions in this gag, they'd add:

The statistician : "It's not significant. We only know there's one black sheep"

The computer scientist : "Oh, no! A special case!"

It's pretty unlikely that any sheep were black (#000000)

-

I'll get my coat.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Portions of this thread remind me of this 'joke' I read recently in Simon Singh's Fermat's Theorum (hey, it's a book about maths, there's not much humour...)

An engineer, physicist and a mathematician were on a train heading north, and had just crossed the border into Scotland.

The engineer looked out of the window and said "Look! Scottish sheep are black!"

The physicist said, "No, no. Some Scottish sheep are black."

The mathematician looked irritated. "There is at least one field, containing at least one sheep, of which at least one side is black."

And if they had two more travel companions in this gag, they'd add:

The statistician : "It's not significant. We only know there's one black sheep"

The computer scientist : "Oh, no! A special case!"

yeah but...

hang on, how do you KNOW the sheep was Scottish, it might have been one that came across the border through a broken fence and just APPEARED to be Scottish.

My coat was on anyway

manicm

fr0g said:
manicm said:
So you can't believe yourself? I quote you word for word:

I believe most people cannot tell them apart at high bit rates, yes. Again, I've seen the results of quite a few ABX tests and so far I've not seen a positive result. That doesn't mean nobody can tell them apart, I never claimed that. However I don't believe you ('you' was in italics and clearly pointed to me where the rest was in normal font) can. And it's easy to prove me wrong. And if you do, then I'll congratulate you on your remarkable hearing.

So if some claim I was being vitriolic here, it was only in response to the same.

Over and out...

I'm glad you quoted me. Now please go and look up the word "vitriolic".

And if you read the entire quote back to yourself, calmly, you'll see that I believe there is a chance you can.

You see how I used the word "believe"? If I had been absolutist, I would have said "You can't" rather than "I don't believe you can".

I do not personally believe there is a human-audible difference because I have a) tested it myself, scientifically, for my own benefit, and b) never seen a positive result posted. That doesn't mean to say that I am right.

Frog, this was your exact quote:

'However I don't believe you can' - and what gives you the right to believe I can't? To believe that, you'd have to know me. And you simply don't, frog. You just don't like none of us really know each other on these forums.

That was an insult to me plain and simple.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
hammill said:
John Duncan said:
Maths and sheep. There's my entire life right there.
Well don't keep us in suspense. Given your celtic origins, are Scottish sheep black or not?

And are they in favour of a fully devolved field system or merely the transfer of more powers from the centralised farm house?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Lee H said:
hammill said:
John Duncan said:
Maths and sheep. There's my entire life right there.
Well don't keep us in suspense. Given your celtic origins, are Scottish sheep black or not?

And are they in favour of a fully devolved field system or merely the transfer of more powers from the centralised farm house?
When Alex Salmond used to talk about the Celtic Tiger economies, the sheep were very worried.......

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
Frog, this was your exact quote:

'However I don't believe you can' - and what gives you the right to believe I can't? To believe that, you'd have to know me. And you simply don't, frog. You just don't like none of us really know each other on these forums.

That was an insult to me plain and simple.

No manicin, I don't know you. But I "beleive" you are a male. I "believe" you are about 5ft tall, I "believe" you are about 30 years old, I "believe" you cannot tell the difference between 320 MP3 and WAV.

You see? On all accounts I could be wrong. But for the moment that is what "I believe". I could be proved wrong on the 1st 3 counts by simply seeing you. On the last I can't be proved wrong unless you display that you can.

Either way, it wasn't an insult. I'm sorry if you misunderstood the intended meaning (and challenge).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts