Isolation under turntable

Loverobot

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
I'm upgrading from my Planar 2 to a Planar 8 and I thought I had best look at vibration isolation properly. I've currently got the turntable setup on a hi-fi stand which is a combination of a metal frame with glass which is then suspended on each frame with rubber discs. Effectively therefore the 2 is currently sat on a solid piece of glass which itself is sat on little rubber discs which are supported by the metal frame.

Because it's stood on a wooden floor I've started to think about perhaps putting some kind of isolation either an isolation board or even some sort of extra feet to go underneath the 3 feet on the P8. I don't want to spend a lot of money unnecessarily and there do seem to be some excessively expensive pieces of wood under the guise of isolation!

I wondered about just using some sorbothane pads cut to shape underneath the feet and also making sure that the stand itself is sat on similar pads. I also looked at potentially like the Auralex platform but I would definitely have to do something about the purple writing!

What can anybody recommend? Any advice you can pass on?

I'm upgrading from my Planar 2 to a Planar 8 and I thought I had best look at vibration isolation properly. I've currently got the turntable setup on a hi-fi stand which is a combination of a metal frame with glass which is then suspended on each frame with rubber discs. Effectively therefore the 2 is currently sat on a solid piece of glass which itself is sat on little rubber discs which are supported by the metal frame.

Because it's stood on a wooden floor I've started to think about perhaps putting some kind of isolation either an isolation board or even some sort of extra feet to go underneath the 3 feet on the P8. I don't want to spend a lot of money unnecessarily and there do seem to be some excessively expensive pieces of wood under the guise of isolation!

I wondered about just using some sorbothane pads cut to shape underneath the feet and also making sure that the stand itself is sat on similar pads. I also looked at potentially like the Auralex platform but I would definitely have to do something about the purple writing!

What can anybody recommend? Any advice you can pass on?
the best isolation you can get is a wall mounted platform.
otherwise no point in going over the top of little bits of sorbothane etc. The P8 has decent feet so shouldn't need anything else underneath unless you really want to spend big.
How are your speakers mounted / isolated

Reactions: TrevC and Loverobot

Loverobot

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
Thanks at the moment can't really wall mount but can see that would be ideal and I know that there is a specific wall mounted plinth that would do the job admirably. Also I definitely don't want to spend big; some of the isolation solutions are absolutely jawdropping!
Speakers are now mounted on spikes and spikes are then on discs - I trialled different ways and this seemed to get rid of the vibration through the floor

I’d honestly not worry about it, at least until you get your new turntable set up properly and start enjoying it.

There’s a lot of confusion about isolation, and many ‘solutions’ couple rather than isolate. As long as your stand isn’t wobbling under footfall - and if it is then you’ve got BIG problems! - then it’s isolated or fixed enough. Beyond that you’re isolating from what - direct acoustic feedback from the speakers? A Rega can cope with that, with its lightweight structure. From floor vibrations? - your rubber discs help there.

See how you get on would be my advice. The fancy platforms you see and the chopping boards that look nice, well they’re always a possibility…

Last edited:

Loverobot

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
Nopiano - No wobbling I am pleased to say even when cranking the volume and footfall not seemingly affecting either - and I must admit I am v dubious about the fancy chopping boards!

Bigfish - sadly not as fancy as your Atacama if I am right which one it is - this is mine - My cheapo rack

Reactions: nopiano

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I have my avid ingenium on a tesco granite work top protector with three iso acoustics, indigo, orea under that, and the only reason I've lifted the tt off my oak furniture land mango cabinet lol.... Is that the outboard motor of the ingenium was creating some kind of resonance being sat on the cabinet, and it's gone now after being lifted off that surface, but if it wasn't for that resonance, I would have left it as is as I don't perceive any other benefits, I did pick up the iso acoustics at a decent price on the well known auction site and the plinth was only £15, so no huge expense.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts