Isolation feet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
That photo is just plain stupisity. Who on earth on the planet would want that set up in the living room. Bunkum of the highest order. 99% of us live in the real work. This is non real world poppycock

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
... and don't know what role these play to improve sound quality. Could someone please point me to an article or explain? I understand the importance when it comes to turntables but not sure how it could matter with an amp. Thanks

Turn tables yes Speaker yes

Amps? Snake oil or placebophile

Not quite. Valve Amps definitely benefit IMO.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Everything in your system is vibrating.amp CD wires power cable Speaker wire everything.so using isolation feet you stop most of the vibration and Less distortion but sometimes this might make it worse depending how you like your music.im trying isolation on everything to see what it sounds like.i think what ellisdj said is spot on.you need to find a balance and I'm very excited how this is changing my listing experience

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Everything in your system is vibrating.amp CD wires power cable Speaker wire everything.so using isolation feet you stop most of the vibration and Less distortion but sometimes this might make it worse depending how you like your music.im trying isolation on everything to see what it sounds like.i think what ellisdj said is spot on.you need to find a balance and I'm very excited how this is changing my listing experience

Put some under your tv for a clearer picture

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
seemorebtts said:

You dont need a balance - good isolators will let you hear what your kit and setup is really doing.

In reality that might not be as good as one hopes so fluffing it over a bit might be a good thing.

I.e fat on your bass might help with a leaner sound.

There is only one right and wrong with this though really.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
seemorebtts said:

You dont need a balance - good isolators will let you hear what your kit and setup is really doing.

In reality that might not be as good as one hopes so fluffing it over a bit might be a good thing.

do you think that i should try more expensive ones as mine are probably the cheapest IV had that actually make a difference

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Everything in your system is vibrating.amp CD wires power cable Speaker wire everything.so using isolation feet you stop most of the vibration and Less distortion but sometimes this might make it worse depending how you like your music.im trying isolation on everything to see what it sounds like.

Seemore, I admire your enthusiasm, but probably a good idea to think about this logically.

Try my tap with a pencil test (described above) - you may well find that there are microphonic components in your system that would benefit from some form of vibration control, on the other hand you may not.

If the device doesn't respond to a tap, then it isn't microphonic. If it isn't microphonic then vibrations do not effect the output (how could they?), and no amount of special feet will make any difference.

Cables can be microphonic to a degree, but only at very low levels - I have worked with microphone cables (appropriate name!) that would generate low level noise when moved. This was in the days before mics had phantom powered amps in them and mic output levels were very low - and therefore the degree of amplification applied to the signal was very high.

Speaker cable will not be audibly microphonic, and if those silly wooden towers in the picture above supporting the speaker cables were in some way to control vibration, then no wonder real engineers consider HiFi ethusiasts to be crackpots. In fact it doesn't matter if the towers weren't to control vibration, they are still ridiculous.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I still don't understand how a cone or spike could couple anything in a way that aids vibration reduction? As a piercing devise yes.

You can shift vibrations to different frequencies in a variety of ways and you can use materials to convert them into heat or gradually decrease them but how does having one end sharp or pointy do anything?

Are there any industrial examples of spikes/cones being used to couple things in order to reduce or redirect vibration?

I am trying to think of something that has air borne vibration issues and uses this technique (other than hifi) but struggle.

Thanks

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
ellisdj said:
seemorebtts said:

do you think that i should try more expensive ones as mine are probably the cheapest IV had that actually make a difference

Its not necessarily about how much you spend more the design of the product.

After trying stillpoints ultra mini then having a demo of a full still points setup inc their 10k rack etc i had arranged to have a dealer come round with a suitcase to demo all the different types.

I had a major personal situation happen and I had to cancel it.
I no doubt would have bought quite a lot of moneys worth had the demo taken place.

If you want to hear more expensive ones go and demo them, lots of dealers carry them.

I would seriously look at the ones I helped develop and think 1/4 price of still points and they work really well and you can isolate more components for the same overall investement.

Lots of isolators change the sound you can even use bits of wood but its hearing how stillpoints change it or the ones I helped develop makes you realise these change it for the better.

I have 6 sets of the ones I helped develop - under amp processor mains conditioning linear power supply audio pc.

I would have them under more if I could - like the speakers.

shadders

drummerman said:
I still don't understand how a cone or spike could couple anything in a way that aids vibration reduction? As a piercing devise yes.

You can shift vibrations to different frequencies in a variety of ways and you can use materials to convert them into heat or gradually decrease them but how does having one end sharp or pointy do anything?

Are there any industrial examples of spikes/cones being used to couple things in order to reduce or redirect vibration?

I am trying to think of something that has air borne vibration issues and uses this technique (other than hifi) but struggle.

Thanks
Hi,

Not a mechanical engineer, but spikes reduce the contact area from the speaker to the floor, and hence less energy transferred to the floor. This would be my understanding.

Regards,

Shadders.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
shadders said:
drummerman said:

Thanks
Hi,

Not a mechanical engineer,  but spikes reduce the contact area from the speaker to the floor,  and hence less energy transferred to the floor. This would be my understanding.

Regards,

Shadders.

According to some here cones or spikes are supposed to be used for 'air borne' vibration ie. sound waves from speakers.

I don't understand the concept of how coupling via the above would do anything.

In my previous post I've outlined methods of reducing vibrations. I just can't see how a single material cone would help.

There are more complex, mixed material ones but some Sorbothane would probably do a better job and it still doesn't explain why a cone or spike shape would be beneficial.

Like I said are there any examples other than hifi which may help me understand?

Townshend clearly demonstrated the effectiveness of his seismic sinks with accelerometers at shows and I can understand the principle but having difficulty with the cone spike thing?

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
shadders said:
drummerman said:

Thanks
Hi,

Not a mechanical engineer, but spikes reduce the contact area from the speaker to the floor, and hence less energy transferred to the floor. This would be my understanding.

Regards,

Shadders.

According to some here cones or spikes are supposed to be used for 'air borne' vibration ie. sound waves from speakers.

In my previous post I've outlined methods of reducing vibrations. I just can't see how a single material cone would help.

There are more complex, mixed material ones but some Sorbothane would probably do a better job and it still doesn't explain why a cone or spike shape would be beneficial.

Like I said are there any examples other than hifi which may help me understand?

Townshend clearly demonstrated the effectiveness of his seismic sinks with accelerometers at shows and I can understand the principle but having difficulty with the cone spike thing?

By 'coupling' a device to a solid shelf or wall or floor you are effectively increasing the mass of the device (to make an amp rattle that is tightly coupled to a wall, you need to rattle the wall as well as the amp, and given the mass of the wall, that is much harder). You could bolt the amp to the wall/shelf/floor or you could opt for a high friction fixing that keeps the amp stationary relative to the wall/shelf/floor. Spikes create high contact pressures at their tip, and tightly couple the amp to the support.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
andyjm said:
drummerman said:
shadders said:
drummerman said:

Thanks
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

By 'coupling' a device to a solid shelf or wall or floor you are effectively increasing the mass of the device (to make an amp rattle that is tightly coupled to a wall, you need to rattle the wall as well as the amp, and given the mass of the wall, that is much harder). You could bolt the amp to the wall/shelf/floor or you could opt for a high friction fixing that keeps the amp stationary relative to the wall/shelf/floor. Spikes create high contact pressures at their tip, and tightly couple the amp to the support.

That is exactly what I dont get. Is there any evidence that these tiny surface points of a cone or spike actually increase coupling?

I get bolting, glueing or even using Bluetack to couple something but simply dont understand why the cone has been chosen by the Hifi Industry and not many other places (or are there others)??

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
That is exactly what I dont get. Is there any evidence that these tiny surface points of a cone or spike actually increase coupling?

I get bolting, glueing or even using Bluetack to couple something but simply dont understand why the cone has been chosen by the Hifi Industry and not many other places (or are there others)??

Spiked shoes, studded tyres, crampons for walking on ice, all examples of increasing the contact pressure at a small point as opposed to spreading it over a larger surface area.

andyjm said:
drummerman said:

Spiked shoes, studded tyres, crampons for walking on ice, all examples of increasing the contact pressure at a small point as opposed to spreading it over a larger surface area.

Think elephants in high heels.... ;-)

Blu-tack is the dodgey one as, used in significant quantities can act as an isolator along the lines of Sorbothane.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
andyjm said:
The capacitors and resistors found in HiFi equipment are microphonic, but these days with small surface mount components stuck onto a rigid board, the effects are probably inaudible.

A quick way to check:

1. Put your CD player on pause.

2. Turn the volume way, way up

3. Tap each device in the signal chain with the end of a pencil. A 'boing' out the speaker indicates the device has microphonic components in it and possibly some sort of acoustic feet might make a difference. No 'boing' (and there probably won't be), then any money you have spent on feet will have been wasted, and I am afraid any improvement you have heard is just suggestion bias.

I would have thought that the materials used to make the capacitors, resistors and even the rigid circuit board inside our electronics would each have their own acoustic resonant frequency. This could be down in the 20Hz region and below or right up in to the KHz region and beyond, and could potentially create a microphonic effect through self-vibration at their given resonant frequency. (Look up Tacoma Narrows on YouTube for an dramatic example of resonant frequency)

Tapping a pencil on your kit isn't going to expose it to the full range of frequencies that a loudspeaker can produce, but playing recorded music will. Stillpoints, and the Cera-Discs which ellisdj has recommended, work on the principle that your hifi rack will isolate your kit from the room and prevent vibration entering your kit from the floor up. I think that Stillpoints and Cera-Discs are intended to drain any airborne induced vibration out of your kit and in to your stand. This is why really good stands have a frame which isolates and shelves which act as dissipators to allow the kit to drain vibrations away. The Stillpoints/CeraDiscs simply assist the rack in doing its job.

I have bought a couple of sets of CeraDiscs on ellisdj's recommendation and I am very happy with them under my DAC and valve amplifier. DAC's are full of sensitive oscillators don't forget...

Ellisdj is costing me a lot of money at the moment! *biggrin*

shadders

Gazzip said:
andyjm said:
The capacitors and resistors found in HiFi equipment are microphonic, but these days with small surface mount components stuck onto a rigid board, the effects are probably inaudible.

A quick way to check:

3. Tap each device in the signal chain with the end of a pencil. A 'boing' out the speaker indicates the device has microphonic components in it and possibly some sort of acoustic feet might make a difference. No 'boing' (and there probably won't be), then any money you have spent on feet will have been wasted, and I am afraid any improvement you have heard is just suggestion bias.

I would have thought that the materials used to make the capacitors, resistors and even the rigid circuit board inside our electronics would each have their own acoustic resonant frequency. This could be down in the 20Hz region and below or right up in to the KHz region and beyond, and could potentially create a microphonic effect through self-vibration at their given resonant frequency. (Look up Tacoma Narrows on YouTube for an dramatic example of resonant frequency)

Tapping a pencil on your kit isn't going to expose it to the full range of frequencies that a loudspeaker can produce, but playing recorded music will. Stillpoints, and the Cera-Discs which ellisdj has recommended, work on the principle that your hifi rack will isolate your kit from the room and prevent vibration entering your kit from the floor up. I think that Stillpoints and Cera-Discs are intended to drain any airborne induced vibration out of your kit and in to your stand. This is why really good stands have a frame which isolates and shelves which act as dissipators to allow the kit to drain vibrations away. The Stillpoints/CeraDiscs simply assist the rack in doing its job.

I have bought a couple of sets of CeraDiscs on ellisdj's recommendation and I am very happy with them under my DAC and valve amplifier. DAC's are full of sensitive oscillators don't forget...

Hi,

While you are all at it - have a look at these :

"http://tianderen.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/fengshui-and-hi-fi-system.html"

"http://desirableaudio.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/hifi-feng-shui.html"

And if you really want to get with it, then why not try :

http://www.harekrishna.com/col/philo/

Crystals help too, apparently, although you may need a feng shui consultants help on where to stick them....

Regards,

Shadders.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
shadders said:
Gazzip said:
andyjm said:

A quick way to check:

Hi,

"http://tianderen.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/fengshui-and-hi-fi-system.html"

"http://desirableaudio.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/hifi-feng-shui.html"

http://www.harekrishna.com/col/philo/

Crystals help too, apparently, although you may need a feng shui consultants help on where to stick them....

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi Shadders, Very helpful. However I would prefer to stop the chassis containing my microphonic electronic components from vibrating.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Gazzip said:
andyjm said:

A quick way to check:

Tapping a pencil on your kit isn't going to expose it to the full range of frequencies that a loudspeaker can produce, but playing recorded music will.

A tap is very similar to the type of theoretical pulse used to characterise impulse response, and actually comprises a very wide range of frequencies. If you have the volume way up, and there is no sound when you tap a device, it is not microphonic.

You can try this by comparing your DAC (which isn't full of sensitive oscillators) and almost certainly isn't microphonic, with your valve amp which will be very microphonic. I would suggest you don't have the volume up too high when you tap the valves, it might startle the cat.

There is an argument that a valve amp should be in a separate room to the speakers. The characteristic sound of a Marshall valve combo was in part due to the feedback from the speaker to valves in the amp.

- just to add, 'self vibration' would require the components to change in shape with applied voltage. This is something piezo crystals do, which is why they make good oscillators. Capacitors and resistors do not.

shadders

Gazzip said:
shadders said:
Gazzip said:
andyjm said:

A quick way to check:

Hi,

://tianderen.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/fengshui-and-hi-fi-system.html

//desirableaudio.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/hifi-feng-shui.html

/www.harekrishna.com/col/philo

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi Shadders, Very helpful. However I would prefer to stop the chassis containing my microphonic electronic components from vibrating.
Hi,

Is that perchance, a euphemistic sentence?

Regards,

Shadders

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:

Dont panic I am not through spending your money just yet gazzip.

You could look at it another way you could have spent a lot more and got a lot less. Or spent the same and not got as much benefit
Either way I have saved you money :)

I am working on something big at the minute as well dude. Next step on from there.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
shadders said:
Gazzip said:
shadders said:
Gazzip said:
andyjm said:

A quick way to check:

Hi,

://tianderen.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/fengshui-and-hi-fi-system.html

//desirableaudio.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/hifi-feng-shui.html

/www.harekrishna.com/col/philo

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

Is that perchance, a euphemistic sentence?

Regards,

Shadders

*blush* You made me blush!

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
andyjm said:

A quick way to check:

3. Tap each device in the signal chain with the end of a pencil. A 'boing' out the speaker indicates the device has microphonic components in it and possibly  some sort of acoustic feet might  make a difference. No 'boing' (and there probably won't be), then any money you have spent on feet will have been wasted, and I am afraid any improvement you have heard is just suggestion bias.

I would have thought that the materials used to make the capacitors, resistors and even the rigid circuit board inside our electronics would each have their own acoustic resonant frequency. This could be down in the 20Hz region and below or right up in to the KHz region and beyond, and could potentially create a microphonic effect through self-vibration at their given resonant frequency. (Look up Tacoma Narrows on YouTube for an dramatic example of resonant frequency)

Tapping a pencil on your kit isn't going to expose it to the full range of frequencies that a loudspeaker can produce, but playing recorded music will. Stillpoints, and the Cera-Discs which ellisdj has recommended, work on the principle that your hifi rack will isolate your kit from the room and prevent vibration entering your kit from the floor up. I think that Stillpoints and Cera-Discs are intended to drain any airborne induced vibration out of your kit and in to your stand. This is why really good stands have a frame which isolates and shelves which act as dissipators to allow the kit to drain vibrations away. The Stillpoints/CeraDiscs simply assist the rack in doing its job. 

i can't seem to find them online how much are they anyway CeraDiscs

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Q5 said:
ellisdj said:
www.plinth-design.com -If you look at this site - look down to the item called Cera-Disc - that is the product I helped develop.

Scroll to the bottom of the page - £148 for 4

They are beautifully made. I put mine under my DAC and pre-amplifier while it was playing music and I could hear the sound improve in realtime. Not night and day just a little more soundstage. Sounds like BS and many will say it is but I am really happy with the results. The guy who sells them (Kridon is his name I think?) offers a money back guarantee as long as you pay postage so very little to lose by trying them IMHO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts