Isolation feet

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
IV tried a lot of isolation feet in the past but found no differences.i started with cutting tennis balls in half and putting them under my hifi.then i used rubber feet and spikes.the spikes did change the sound but just made it worse(more distortion at the top end).So when my local dealer suggested trying some soundcare isolation feet i wasn't enthusiastic about it.but you have to try or you will never know so i did.i have to say i was blown away by how good these are.i put them on my amp and straight away the top end sounded sweeter.then i started to hear instruments in the track that IV never heard before and sound stage became massive.It wasn't all good news as it lost some of the speed and accuracy but IV only just started with these and I'm going to be putting them on everything i can(even the speakers)so i highly recommend the soundcare and at £70.cheap upgrade.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have had a lot of experience with isolation products including being involved in design and testing of one particular product that is outstanding and even more so for the money as they dont cost the earth. Far from it in fact.

In principle if you look at stillpoints and what they say most other isolation products have got it wrong and I agree with them. Hence the mixed experiences.

If you demo stillpoints you will be in no way unsure of the ability of an isolation product to change the sound. The problem with stillpoints is they charge like a raging bull for them because they are so effective.

The issue is they are accumulative in benefit, so one set of stillpoints is ok but 5 works out at a fortune and you will want 5 sets of them.

When I have time I will post a link to the ones I am talking about. If you are considering buying or trying anything rubber, plastic or even aluminium orientated I would say hold fire until I can post up more details. Cant do it properly from my phone.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
IV tried a lot of isolation feet in the past but found no differences.i started with cutting tennis balls in half and putting them under my hifi.then i used rubber feet and spikes.the spikes did change the sound but just made it worse(more distortion at the top end).So when my local dealer suggested trying some soundcare isolation feet i wasn't enthusiastic about it.but you have to try or you will never know so i did.i have to say i was blown away by how good these are.i put them on my amp and straight away the top end sounded sweeter.then i started to hear instruments in the track that IV never heard before and sound stage became massive.It wasn't all good news as it lost some of the speed and accuracy but IV only just started with these and I'm going to be putting them on everything i can(even the speakers)so i highly recommend the soundcare and at £70.cheap upgrade.

well I never

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I have had a lot of experience with isolation products including being involved in design and testing of one particular product that is outstanding and even more so for the money as they dont cost the earth. Far from it in fact.

In principle if you look at stillpoints and what they say most other isolation products have got it wrong and I agree with them. Hence the mixed experiences.

If you demo stillpoints you will be in no way unsure of the ability of an isolation product to change the sound. The problem with stillpoints is they charge like a raging bull for them because they are so effective.

The issue is they are accumulative in benefit, so one set of stillpoints is ok but 5 works out at a fortune and you will want 5 sets of them.

When I have time I will post a link to the ones I am talking about. If you are considering buying or trying anything rubber, plastic or even aluminium orientated I would say hold fire until I can post up more details. Cant do it properly from my phone.
they had still points but are more expensive.yes very interested thanks ellisdj

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
gasolin said:

These seem much more like something that in theory, should work.

Watch the video on you tube.
Makes sense to me.
Forget about this sort of thing under a solid state amp.

Think about the amp packs in active speakers. How do they cope?

insider9

... and don't know what role these play to improve sound quality. Could someone please point me to an article or explain? I understand the importance when it comes to turntables but not sure how it could matter with an amp. Thanks

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
... and don't know what role these play to improve sound quality. Could someone please point me to an article or explain? I understand the importance when it comes to turntables but not sure how it could matter with an amp. Thanks

Turn tables yes
Speaker yes

Amps? Snake oil or placebophile

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Personally I can't really see the point in spikes other than piercing a carpet and even then I would guess the carpet may prove more apt at getting rid of some vibrations. I certainly wouldn't use anything pointy under turntables or valve amplifiers.

Seismic sinks/Townshend are probably doing a good job, as are other air or magnetic suspension systems.

For not a lot of money I have always trusted in Sorbothane, which converts some of the energy into heat.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
insider9 said:

OK, many electronic components are microphonic - changes in dimension lead to a change in electrical parameters - which can be heard out of the speaker.

The worst offenders by far are valves, and turntables are of course really a microphone on a stick, so they are highly microphonic as well.

The capacitors and resistors found in HiFi equipment are microphonic, but these days with small surface mount components stuck onto a rigid board, the effects are probably inaudible.

A quick way to check:

1. Put your CD player on pause.

2. Turn the volume way, way up

3. Tap each device in the signal chain with the end of a pencil. A 'boing' out the speaker indicates the device has microphonic components in it and possibly some sort of acoustic feet might make a difference. No 'boing' (and there probably won't be), then any money you have spent on feet will have been wasted, and I am afraid any improvement you have heard is just suggestion bias.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
If the vibrations effecting your equipment are airborne, then you need to couple you equipment to a solid surface - spikes or a mechanical fixing (screws) are good for this.

If the vibrations effecting your equipment are coming through the shelf, then you need to isolate your equipment - some sort of resiliant material or spring is good for this.

The issue I have with products targeting enthusiasts is they are (apparently) a solution to all problems and don't seem to differentiate between coupling and isolation. They can't do both.

Speakers are a different proposition - as a rule you don't want them wobbling about the place. Spikes are good for piercing carpet through to a solid floor. If the floor is suspended wood, then it may improve things if the speakers are isolated from the floor as some suspended floors can act as a resonator.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Andyjm,

Quote:

Speakers are a different proposition - as a rule you don't want them wobbling about the place. Spikes are good for piercing carpet through to a solid floor. If the floor is suspended wood, then it may improve things if the speakers are isolated from the floor as some suspended floors can act as a resonator.

Agree. Ikons spiked through carpet onto concrete, Opticons gel pads on granite slabs - carpeted, suspended floor that booms horribly with spikes. Horses for courses.

Anyone tried the GAIAs? £400 a bit more palatable than £1500 seismic podiums! Note $400 across the pond.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The stillpoints way of looking at things is reverse to this and in my experience is the best.

You dont stop vibration getting in as much as you drain it away - dont lock it in using the wrong thing.

Anything rubber orientated tennis ball for example is rubber its locking any internal vibration. In contrast other companies use wood, aluminium and other materials.

In my testing I tried different materials - plastic, aluminium and stainless steel - and stainless steel is by far the best.

www.plinth-design.com -If you look at this site - look down to the item called Cera-Disc - that is the product I helped develop.

I was testing these against stillpoints ultra mini at £400 odd that I owned. I sold the still points and have many sets of the Cera Disc. Similar benefit much lower price.

I recommended these to someone recently who loves them - his system is excellent.

Few interesting things to consider - you will want a few sets because the benefit is compounded.

For example using them under one item in the system might make the system sound too forward, then using them under another will rebalance it - its crazy how that happens but it does / can. Its happened for me more than once

You have some element of sound control with them - they come with rubber orings that you can either use or not use.

Using them makes the sound warmer taking them off makes the sound more dynamic but could potentially tip poorly balanced systems into harshness - possibly (it did with mine during testing, not so now) so you have options with them.

Lastly you will want them to fit tight under the component you place them under - so you have to move them until each foot grips tight - that is how you get the best performance from them. This takes a little bit of effort and can be a bit awkward depending on what you use them under but its worth the effort. I use a ruler or similar to move them slightly until they tighten up.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am currently testing a new design idea I had - I am using my Bryston 9BSST amplifier as the product to test it on.

And it makes a difference to the sound - quite a large one actually.

It doesnt make a trumpet sound like a drum - its makes each element of the sound have more free space and edge clarity - the elements dont blend in to each other as much. Overall the sound is more dynamic perceived as a result as its less blurred together.

Its also interesting it helps reduce hardness and harshness which would you would associate to digital harshness or system limitations - its quite suprising actually.

Had a pal over Saturday - did him a quick demo and he could hear a difference in the presentation with this new idea I am working on.

I am sold on the benefit and importance since doing a blind test a few years ago proved it to me.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If you look at this photo - this is taken from the article on WHF about the most important speaker company you have neber heard of

kh_listening_room.jpg

Look at what they have done to the speaker cables... its the second thing I noticed - first was all the diffusion panels

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
If you look at this photo - this is taken from the article on WHF about the most important speaker company you have neber heard of

Look at what they have done to the speaker cables... its the second thing I noticed - first was all the diffusion panels

More comfortable listening chairs have bigger impact on percieved sound quality than vibration induced piezoelectric effect on cables. Just saying.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:

Perhaps they had just had the carpet cleaned, and it was still wet....

Daft place to put the turntables - in the firing line of the speakers. Turntables definitely are microphonic, and will pick up ambient sound.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Its right in the middle of the room - which is the place in the room with the least pressure.

So its actually likely the best place in the room to put it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts