Is your tv calibrated?

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering how many of you guys calibrate your tv's in some fashion.Also by what means.

A friend has just purchased an £800 led,but when i offered to lend him a calibration disk he said he was happy with the out-of-box settings.For me a significant investmant surely warrants a degree of calibration to get the best from the set.

audiowizard

May 16, 2010
Visit site
My last tv was a sony bravia, I found some calibration settings online and used that as a basis to getting a better picture. My current Panny 50GT30, I am more than happy with it using the out of box settings, in THX mode. Plasmas tend to be more natural looking anyway, where as lcd,led tend to burn your retinas out of the box. There are calibration discs available and I believe you can get descent results from them.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Haven't used a disc, or any calibration software etc, but did get some settings from a good source online. Been using them ever since, and they still look great.

Saw a Pana GT50 with out of the box settings, and it looked amazing.

LED and LCDs I would always look to change, I did with my bedroom tv, but it still doesn't look great, but it's good enough.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I have had my last 2 TV's calibrated. The one I am using / watching now a Sony 46 HX853 was done using Spectracal CalMAN Sofware & looks a damn sight better than it was out of the box. Definately worth the money & time.
smiley-laughing.gif

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Got spears&munsil disk thru the post on friday.The main differance from factory settings is that the contrast,brightness and colour are alot lower when set against the test patterns.Still useing the hue settings from a gt30 thread on another site tho...skin tones are sooo realistic.

Can't justify £200+for the gt to be professionaly done tho,but if i had a vt50.... :?

fubar925

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi had my panasonic 55vt50 professionally calibrated last thursday.. Had all modes done to some extent but thx cinema and both pro modes and thx3D calibrated all settings done... The bloke who done it was here for about 8 hrs and explained everything he was doing which was good.. also get a thx certificate to show off could have had a plaque but couldnt justify the extra £25 quid lol..

The differance in picture is to me the differance between black and white its just amazing the details on the blacks ive noticed things I hadnt seen before on films, the imax shots in batman dark night rises the opening scene wow just wow... Also the colours on xfactor and strictly...letting the wife and kids watch it to just see the colours/blacks and get brownie points at the same time..

Now this is my 4th different make of tv and secound vt50 because im quite picky cant live with faults my last vt50 had really bad banding and this tv I got now had slight banding but I gave up taking them back.. dont think there is the perfect fault free tv out there unless you pay big bucks.. sorry off topic well like I said this tv had slight banding but after the calibration it is unoticable unless you stare at the point where it was so worth the £200 just for that..

Now on to the major plus for me 3d...... Just amazing not only is the picture brighter it is just so comfatable to watch now no eye strain it also just pops the picture just seems so crisp and ghost free the bit with the tree sprits in avatar had always had slight crosstalk for me but now gone not a jot..

so to sum it up if thinking of getting your tv calibrated imho go for it why spend between £1000-£3000 on a tv and not consider £200ish to improve the overal enjoyment of your tv..

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I had my TV ISF calibrated and the calibrator managed to achieve a Reference standard for it in the 6 hours that he was here. The picture is great and it was £200 well spent IMO.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
GSB said:
Got spears&munsil disk thru the post on friday.The main differance from factory settings is that the contrast,brightness and colour are alot lower when set against the test patterns.Still useing the hue settings from a gt30 thread on another site tho...skin tones are sooo realistic.

Can't justify £200+for the gt to be professionaly done tho,but if i had a vt50.... :?

Had my GT50 a few weeks now and just got the Spears & Munsil BD, had a quick look and I think its probably worth the investment in time but have not got round to it!

Will probably start with THX cinema mode, but to do all the rest is going to take a while!

a bit off topic - watching ITV HD....crikey the detail on Leanne Battersbys in Corrie face is incredible, you can see every blemish/pore/spot!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I calibrate all my screens myself using a meter and PC and the results are allways much better then the factory defaults as every TV I've calibrated has had errors in the greysacle out of the box.

Have a look HERE and you can see the reading OUT OF THE BOX and after calibration :dance:

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
All those graphs and lines look terribly complicated,but i 'spose if your tech minded its an easy way of saving a few hundred $,and i bet good fun :clap:

ps:dont live anywhere near yorkshire do you :rofl:

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
GSB said:

Had my GT50 a few weeks now and just got the Spears & Munsil BD, had a quick look and I think its probably worth the investment in time but have not got round to it!

Will probably start with THX cinema mode, but to do all the rest is going to take a while!

a bit off topic - watching ITV HD....crikey the detail on Leanne Battersbys in Corrie face is incredible, you can see every blemish/pore/spot!
It doesnt take long Steve,and is well worth the effort :)

Sometimes i must admit i'm in aww of the quality of HD picture,dont know about yours but the images look so defined and the whole screen has more depth with night-time viewing....a year on it still puts a smile on my face!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:

You and I must be psychic brothers, if only in this one instance! I watched a bit of it myself on ITV HD this afternoon, not having seen Coronation Street for a while, and I was struck by how much more, er, evidence of a life being well lived, there is now on Leanne Battersby's (the actress Jane Danson, I believe) face compared to about five or seven years ago! And, getting back to the topic, this was on an LG 60PZ950T television in the kitchen that had only been optimised with the Spears and Munsil Blu-Ray, but not formally calibrated. For normal TV watching, the LG is sharper than even my more celebrated Samsung in the parlour, but I wouldn't claim that it is anything like the best available. Just think what it might be like if I spent £250 on a formal calibration! And these are 2011 model televisions in my parlour and kitchen; 2012 models will be better!

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Trying avshd as we speak. Initial thoughts are how different sources can appear. A well known store tells me how they setup sets in shop. They dont! This means manufacturers probs set up for shop display more than domestic and secondly there is no point in relying on displays in stores to choose a tv. I guess whf etc calibrate b4 testing. Damn! More tweaking to do

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
TA well known store tells me how they setup sets in shop. They dont!

I'll endorse and be more explicit: I've asked this question at Richer Sounds and at Currys/PC World. Neither chain adjusts the televisions at all. The televisions on display use only the out-of-the-box default settings.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
....Becouse generaly people prefere the brightnet of pictures,therefore manufactures want their sets to ''shine''...also has to do with the store lighting.

Aproperly calibrated screen is not to everyone's taste as the ''brightness'' is alot different to the out -of-the-box settings with which people are used to.

Found this very interesting....http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1328263571

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts