Is upscaling dvds to 1080p supposed to be better?? mmm

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I was just curious bout this as id always watched my standard dvds upscaled to 1080p!! However with some older titles ie Jaws, Christine, The Thing etc did look abit washed out & seemed to have lacked abit of colour & depth, where as Transformers lets say looked great upscaled to 1080p. However i went to a friends house recently & he happened to be watching Jaws (that hed recently borrowed of me) & i noticed how much better the quality was on his plasma which is the 42" version of mine (see below) it seemed deeper, better colours etc but then i realised hes using a PS3 which can only go to 576p with standard dvds, so when i got back home i watched Jaws amongst other titles in 576p & i found the quality to be loads better & transformers looked unbelievably better, i just found this strange as i would of thought 1080p would of been better but to my eyes im sticking with 576p for dvds. Does anybody else share my opinion or is it just me? lol

A

Anonymous

i believe it depends on the upscaling chip being used amongst other things. I have the same bluray player as yourself and find that, although it is pretty good, i let my receiver do the upscaling as it is better in my opinion. Also your tv being larger will accentuate any irregularities which may not seem so prevelant ona smaller screen. Hope this helps matey, av fun!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, something is always upscaling the picture to fit the TV, so if it looks better on your TV when outputting the DVD in 576p, the TV must have a better upscaling chip in it than your DVD player.

BTW - the PS3 is able to upscale DVDs to 720p / 1080i / 1080p when running the latest firmware, and it does a very good job of it - far better than my Panasonic TV does IMO...

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"]
Indeed, something is always upscaling the picture to fit the TV, so if it looks better on your TV when outputting the DVD in 576p, the TV must have a better upscaling chip in it than your DVD player.

BTW - the PS3 is able to upscale DVDs to 720p / 1080i / 1080p when running the latest firmware, and it does a very good job of it - far better than my Panasonic TV does IMO...
[/quote]Yep it seems my tv has the better chip (by a margin) & i didnt realise the PS3 could go all the way up to 1080p so i best let my mate no ha. Thanks P hat

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="mark2"]i believe it depends on the upscaling chip being used amongst other things. I have the same bluray player as yourself and find that, although it is pretty good, i let my receiver do the upscaling as it is better in my opinion. Also your tv being larger will accentuate any irregularities which may not seem so prevelant ona smaller screen. Hope this helps matey, av fun![/quote]Its certainly helped Mark, thanks alot mate !!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jase fox"]i didnt realise the PS3 could go all the way up to 1080p so i best let my mate no ha. Thanks P hat[/quote]
No worries! Yup, for some reason it's switched off by default so I wonder how many others are missing out on it! Tell your mate to go into BD/DVD Settings and then look at the DVD Upscaler setting. Set this to either Normal or Full Screen to get the PS3 upscaling working. I think you have to be using the PS3 via HDMI though, rather than component for this to work...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts