Is there a set top box i can get . . .

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
That i can use with my V+ subscription but also allows me to expand HDD memory so i can record more programmes or back them up via USB.

My current V+ box is nearing its limit Rapidly and especially with HD content chewing up so much memory.

I believe there is a Samsung box that i can get with Virgin but does that allow you to expand HDD memory ?

Any help here at all ?

A

Anonymous

officially, no. The samsung HDD is the same cap as the SA. The boxes have a SATAport for an offboard HDD but virgin refuse to enable this.:( Officially the V+ system is a "timeshift" device, not a storage library.

Some people have gone down the route of modding their own box with a larger HDD, but this would be against virgins T&C's so of course would be unadvisable. Search digitalspy if you're interested in how these reckless individuals got on;)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
unconditional:
officially, no. The samsung HDD is the same cap as the SA. The boxes have a SATAport for an offboard HDD but virgin refuse to enable this.:( Officially the V+ system is a "timeshift" device, not a storage library.

Some people have gone down the route of modding their own box with a larger HDD, but this would be against virgins T&C's so of course would be unadvisable. Search digitalspy if you're interested in how these reckless individuals got on;)

As the boxes are rented id love to hear how they get on once they cancel their subscription!

A

Anonymous

Thanks, again Virgin are a thorn in my side !

Do they have a box with a larger disc space on the hoizon at all ?

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:
As the boxes are rented id love to hear how they get on once they cancel their subscription!

I expect the boxes are sent away wholesale for recomissioning and they lose track of who had it. Thats if you don't swop it back before they collect it and plead ignorance. Many boxes in use have broken seals and chewed screws as they're recon units anyway, especially the oh-so-temperamental SA's

Evan if they did throw the T&C and the "supposed retail value" of about £400 at you, only a mug would pay it, as you'd only have to offer them the opportunity of proving in court you actually damaged the box and how it cost them that amount. They wouldn't bother with more than threatening letters.

The reasons for not wanting to offer you a larger HD could be for all sorts of reasons, including deals signed with sky for TV packages, and if they switched on the eSATA ports for external HD use I'd give it less than a month before you could download an app to strip the encryption away, and as we know the spectre of piracy is more important than giving your customers a product they can use.

A

Anonymous

I've had a look at the EuroVox, looks good, although can only record one channel at a time on it.

Has there been any reviews in What Hifi ? anyone at What hifi that can shed some light ?

Also what about Tivo, i have found HD boxes over in America but only seem to be the basic ones over here, not sure how up to date the web site is i'm looking at but i must imagine they have a HD box over here with the popularity of it over in the states ?

TRENDING THREADS