Question Is it possible to get a radio sound at home ?

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi all. Today I put again my DAB radio on - whatever they played it just smashed anything what Hi Fi has to offer. Extremely melodious, huge soundstage, upbeat, snappy and dynamic - I am even more convinced that the biggest drawback in home stereo systems is the lack of Radio expanded sound. I know they use expanders, compressors etc. my question is :
1. Is it possible to get such a sound at home - if yes then exctly what equipment do I need to have / install ?
2. Why after so many years of producing Hi Fi a typical small radio sounds 100 times better than expensive systems and why they still have not implemented "Radio" sound in Hi Fi ?

Thanks.

abacus

As mentioned above, if you like compressed sound (Although not all DAB stations are bad) then get a compressor, however if you want something to sound like the real instrument, voice etc. stick to proper Hi-Fi or Pro gear as it has a much wider dynamic sound and less distortion. (Alternatively you could just get a boom box as they make everything sound as bad as most DAB radio)

Bill

jjbomber

1. Is it possible to get such a sound at home - if yes then exactly what equipment do I need to have / install ?

Thanks.

Compressed sound is louder than normal hi-fi. The human ear is more responsive to sound volume changes. It may be a case of simply turning up the volume with other sources.

Incidentally, if you go for a demo at some hi-fi shops, they turn the volume up for the items they want you to buy, knowing you'll think it's ''better''. It's the same principle.

The next time the neighbours are out, crank up your own system. You'll find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow was sitting in your living room all along. In the current lockdown, it may be a few months until your neighbours go out!

Jimboo

Hi all. Today I put again my DAB radio on - whatever they played it just smashed anything what Hi Fi has to offer. Extremely melodious, huge soundstage, upbeat, snappy and dynamic - I am even more convinced that the biggest drawback in home stereo systems is the lack of Radio expanded sound. I know they use expanders, compressors etc. my question is :
1. Is it possible to get such a sound at home - if yes then exctly what equipment do I need to have / install ?
2. Why after so many years of producing Hi Fi a typical small radio sounds 100 times better than expensive systems and why they still have not implemented "Radio" sound in Hi Fi ?

Thanks.
In answer to your first question I would buy a dab radio.
Your second question doesn't really need answering as radio is for lovers of 'real sound' and the rest is just for us mugs.
What is it with this place lately ?

DCarmi

I have never been that impressed with DAB. I find it tiring to listen to for any length of time, unless I have it on for background noise only (as I am at the moment).

Comparing to CD or even Spotify on the same hardware, it comes a clear third. Many stations are still broadcasting in MP2, which is not great. Some of the bit rates, even for DAB+ stations are not wonderful.

Generally you''' get better quality reception via Internet Radio or even Freeview. For example Main BBC stations (except R3 which is higher and R4 which is lower, on DAB):
DAB - MP2 112-138kbps
Internet - AAC 320kbs (there are lower quality fall back streams where needed)
Freeview - MP2 192kbs

Quite a few stations broadcast mono on DAB but stereo on the internet.
MP2 192kbs is about FM quality.

Reactions: Mike Hunt

Gray

I thought about this thread the other night, watching old TOTP shown on Beeb4. This was at the time they starting 'simulcasting' (remember that?) on Radio1. The sound was abominable. Artificial echo and excessive percussion volume.

Ugh.
....and the audience sound was too loud. They went through a phase of mixing it in for atmosphere.
So on top of the poor music, you get a small crowd, who've been told to make a lot of excited noise.

Reactions: Dom

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
....and the audience sound was too loud. They went through a phase of mixing it in for atmosphere.
So on top of the poor music, you get a small crowd, who've been told to make a lot of excited noise.
And a battered old SM58 with an XLR plug with 6 inches of cable attached, for the ultimate mime artist :ROFLMAO:

TRENDING THREADS