My Denon Ceol N8 is being a ****. Is it time to change?

Grumplestiltskin

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi there,
I bought a Denon Ceol N8 about 5 years ago. It intermittently drops the airplay when listening to podcasts and streaming from my phone, and often when it is connected there is no sound at all.
Add to the that the internet radio now requires a subscription, and it does not have DAB, it's pretty much useless to me. I currently use it as a rather expensive bluetooth speaker. It's a real shame as the sound through it to my monitor audio stand-speakers is perfect for the room size.
I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement that meets the following criteria:

Budget: £500ish
Decent sized display
DAB
WiFi
Streaming
Bluetooth
Comes with a decent remote (range and ease of use)
Airplay
CD player a bonus but not really bothered.

Thanks in advance.,

Col.

matthewpiano

Having previously owned the Marantz MCR-611, I can happily recommend looking at its replacement - the Melody X/MCR-612. Sound quality is very good for this sort of unit and they are very nice to use.

Grumplestiltskin

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. My understanding is that Marantz also uses Vtuner and requires a subscription. It’s only 3 dollars a year but both brands being caught out like that due to the software/systems they use seems a tad... underhand. This is why I’m thinking of a move away from Denon and probably avoiding Marantz. I’ll have a look at the models suggested however so thanks again.
G.
PS: on a side note, the dealership I bought the unit from has quoted me £55.00 simply to provide an estimate for repairing the issue with streaming/AirPlay! Is this the norm?

D

Deleted member 116933

Hi there,
I bought a Denon Ceol N8 about 5 years ago. It intermittently drops the airplay when listening to podcasts and streaming from my phone, and often when it is connected there is no sound at all.
Add to the that the internet radio now requires a subscription, and it does not have DAB, it's pretty much useless to me. I currently use it as a rather expensive bluetooth speaker. It's a real shame as the sound through it to my monitor audio stand-speakers is perfect for the room size.
I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement that meets the following criteria:

Budget: £500ish
Decent sized display
DAB
WiFi
Streaming
Bluetooth
Comes with a decent remote (range and ease of use)
Airplay
CD player a bonus but not really bothered.

Thanks in advance.,

Col.

Its why i like to keep things separate, a function stops working or become incompatible then you really loose what you have paid for.

BUT having said that it sounds like a job for a pair of smart speakers such as apple home pods the home of airplay (which I believe are on sale for a little of 500) I have a pair in the office and works great. Remote! come on! you don't need one when you can talk to it LOL (plus you have your phone or iPad) they'll wireless connect to your apple tv for tv sound and will soon be able to decode Dolby atmos

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts