Is it only my ears..?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I tend 2 think the British Hifi sound is thin & 4ward or is it just my ears... or there is a problem with the mastering of Cds. In other words a gap btw or may balance of cds mastering hifi sound. Yes some system sound plesant but very few... I mean very few. Each time i go 2 a Hifi shop all i hear is thin & forward sounding Hifi. Can anyone put some light on this... May be am missing sumthin...

A

Anonymous

Are you Prince in disguise? You keep using numbers 2 post 4 these forums?

Not sure about thin sounding hifi etc. but some CDs are mastered to the point of clipping. Some people forget to turn down a bit too! Attenuators might do the trick if you prefer a less forward volume - or buy some warm sounding kit?

emotion-1.gif

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Native_bon:I tend 2 think the British Hifi sound is thin & 4ward or is it just my ears... or there is a problem with the mastering of Cds. In other words a gap btw or may balance of cds mastering hifi sound. Yes some system sound plesant but very few... I mean very few. Each time i go 2 a Hifi shop all i hear is thin & forward sounding Hifi. Can anyone put some light on this... May be am missing sumthin...

Which brands are you referring to?

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Native_bon: May be am missing sumthin...

Some keys on your keyboard I think!
emotion-5.gif

Seriously, it would be interesting to know what other Hi-Fi sound you are comparing it to (if you are). 'British Hifi sound' suggests you prefer something non-British?

A

Anonymous

Well I agree that different countries/regions of the world can sometimes be categorised in generalisation for producing certain sounding bits of kit.

I remember reading something about most British systems being more like monitors (colour the sound less)

I haven't heard much American gear but isn't it generalised for having big low bass?

And doesn't Japanese generally gear sound slightly bright or airy.

I can't say I've listened to enough systems to generalise them as forward. Mission speakers usually sound forward (well did before change in hands, now I duno) . isn't that their characteristic trait.

I think pcm ( transmission lines) are British, I haven't heard their speakers (I want to) but I can't imagine them sounding thin.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:But really - anyone who finds a lot of other hi-fi thin and forward should appreciate the balanced, rich sound of Arcam kit.

You're learning...

A

Anonymous

it would be interesting to hear what the OP thinks "British" kit is? British owned, British built or British tuned...?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts