Question Best Amp of the Millenium

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Winter

Oct 28, 2019
Visit site
In order to keep myself occupied in middle age I have decided to try and find the best (affordable) hifi amp of the Millenium.... So from the last 20 to 30 to years or so. I have had several amps over this period, most now have been resigned to hifi heaven....but I still own a Denon PM720AE, a Yamaha A-S501, Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5, and have just purchased a Rotel A11 which is my daily listen. I have dug out my old amps and have today derived considerable enjoyment from testing them all (in my garage) in conjunction with some old, but beautiful sounding (and looking) Ruark Talisman ll's which I recently bought for less than £100 on ebay. What I am hoping to do is test affordable eBay amps, so second hand (BTW, affordable for me is under £500) then sell it on and buy and test another, or maybe keep 2 at a time for comparison purposes, then sell the least favourite out of the 2. Please let me know your thoughts, specifically your favourite amps which I may get for under £500 on ebay, or from anywhere else that sells second hand or reconditioned gear. Thanks
A&R cambridge A60 ! Nice.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
In order to keep myself occupied in middle age I have decided to try and find the best (affordable) hifi amp of the Millenium.... So from the last 20 to 30 to years or so. I have had several amps over this period, most now have been resigned to hifi heaven....but I still own a Denon PM720AE, a Yamaha A-S501, Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5, and have just purchased a Rotel A11 which is my daily listen. I have dug out my old amps and have today derived considerable enjoyment from testing them all (in my garage) in conjunction with some old, but beautiful sounding (and looking) Ruark Talisman ll's which I recently bought for less than £100 on ebay. What I am hoping to do is test affordable eBay amps, so second hand (BTW, affordable for me is under £500) then sell it on and buy and test another, or maybe keep 2 at a time for comparison purposes, then sell the least favourite out of the 2. Please let me know your thoughts, specifically your favourite amps which I may get for under £500 on ebay, or from anywhere else that sells second hand or reconditioned gear. Thanks
The best amp of the millennium is the Marantz Model 30. Why? Because that's what I've got and I like it a lot.
Seriously though, I've no idea what's the best amp of the millennium. I don't have enough money to find out.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I believe one has no choice but to admit that out of the hundreds of integrated amplifiers available there are undeniable differences in the 'sound' that you hear from your speakers that has to be put down to the differences in amplifiers.
After all, they do of course have the same function, but amplifier designers use different components, different designs, etc, etc. The outcome of these differences is variations in what's delivered to the speakers.
Thanks for that 👍
Hmm, I’m not so sure. I’m not technically minded, and I’ve certainly listened to very few amps, so I have to rely on logic.
Amps aren’t rocket science in the industry, so what you’re suggesting is that each manufacturer is adding some kind of colour to their sound, yes? In that case, is this conducive with the notion of faithful reproduction?

oldtincan

Aug 24, 2023
Visit site
A&R cambridge A60 ! Nice.
Just rigged up a new Marantz PM6007, and Wow! It has replaced my Rotel A11 signature which I still own, but there is a very noticeable change in sound. The Rotel was a warmer, deeper, almost 'fluffy' sound by comparison. The Marantz is as sharp as a knife, without being harsh Obviously beautiful sound is in the ear of the listener...but the clarity, the sound stage, it's up there with my Riga Brio! Playing through Ruark Talisman, which normally need some driving, and can suck the power out a weak amp....but no sign of this yet! And £270 ....Peter Tyson, via eBay!

Just rigged up a new Marantz PM6007, and Wow! It has replaced my Rotel A11 signature which I still own, but there is a very noticeable change in sound. The Rotel was a warmer, deeper, almost 'fluffy' sound by comparison. The Marantz is as sharp as a knife, without being harsh Obviously beautiful sound is in the ear of the listener...but the clarity, the sound stage, it's up there with my Riga Brio! Playing through Ruark Talisman, which normally need some driving, and can suck the power out a weak amp....but no sign of this yet! And £270 ....Peter Tyson, via eBay!
Marantz have been my default amp choice for many years. I haven’t bought one since the mid-1990s, but that still works, though needs some switch cleaner. I’ve recommended them dozens of times though. And I do have a very nice SACD player in regular use.

Great buy on your part! Congratulations.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts