Is a DVD/Blu Ray player a good choice for Hi-Fi?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I own an Onkyo DX-7355 CD player, paired with an Onkyo A-9155 integrated amp and QA-1030i speakers and an active sub.

I've been considering buying a DVD/Blu-ray player (possibly Onkyo BD-SP308) to play movies too. I am not sure if the Blu-ray player should replace my CD player and whether it will affect the performance of the music, or should I keep the CD player in addition to the Blu-ray player with the Blu-ray player feeding into my amp. The THD of both are comparable, both being approx 0.005%.

So the question really is: Is a DVD player or a Blu-ray a good choice for a Hi-Fi system?

Please help me decide!

Regards,

DSG

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Depends on budget but generally a CD player will out-perform a similarly priced BD player at music.
You say you canl keep the CDP so sounds like space isn't a concern.
If you'd like to up the performance of the cdp maybe add a DAC, again depending on your budget as to what you should go for.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Richard, but why would I need a DAC? Should the Blu-ray player not have a DAC? How else would it feed into an AV receiver?

Forgive me if I'm being naive...

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
No you're right the players have got DACs built in. Just suggested it as a possible upgrade for your CDP but if you're already happy with the sound you needn't worry about that.
Personally I was very happy with the CD performance of my Blu-Ray player, but then added a Roksan CD Player into system and it was a big step up.
So if you can keep the CD player for music I would.

RobGardner

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
I agree, keep your CD player for CDs and get a BD for movies. My Denon DVD2500T isn't a patch on my Cyrus CD XTse for music, but my Cyrus can't play movies. If you check out the reviews I believe that the Cambridge Azur 650 Bluray player is good with music and film, but even then it probably won't come near your dedicated player and it will cost about £400!

T

the record spot

I have a Sony S370 Blu-Ray player and it's practically as good as my Marantz SA7001-KI. Yes, you can use your Blu-Ray player for CD duties and chances are it'll be fine. Not sure what the Onkyo players will be like, but they seem to optimise a lot of their equipment for music playback and they're throwing the chequebook at their recent lineup, so by all means give it a try.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It's a personal decision. There are many people quite happy playing CDs on their B'ray. In my case, it's too much of a compromise (except the dearer Arcam stuff).

Cno

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
My 25" Sony CRT TV went West 4 months ago. I replaced it with a Panasonic P42V20B plasma followed by a Panasonic BDP110 BR player. I've retired an ancient Panasonic SVHS recorder, Pioneer DVD player & 20yr old Sony FM/AM tuner.

The analogue out from the BR player is surprisingly good but if I play CDs from it, the sound gets sent to the TV via a 3m HDMI cable that then gets fed to a Beresford DAC via a 3m optical link.

The BR player cost me £180. This cheap model does not play SACDs or DVD Audio discs. It is also physically noisy compared to my Rotel RCD-1072. However, the BRP's sound quality is effectively determined by the DAC. In my my case the Beresford sounds a little less expansive than my Rotel.

Separate DACs are going to feature more & more in people's setups or feature more often in either pre-amps or integrated amps IMO. In most cases, this will mean their inputs will be remote controllable.

As I write this reply, I'm listening to a Front242 CD on my BR player. If I press the Play button on my TV's remote, my TV's screen un-blanks & shows the track list with track times then blanks again. Although the TV is connected to the Internet, it isn't clever enough to access a music database & list the CD contents but that will happen.

The latest edition of WHiFi reviews a batch of multiformat players costing between £800-1000. This route will allow for SACDs, the players will hopefully being physically quieter than some cheap BR players but do lack some feature such as Internet access.

T

the record spot

The cheapest universal player offering SACD, DVD-A and HDCD in addition to the CD playing and DVD/BR capabilities would be the Cambridge BD650. Sony's BDP-S370 (now the 380, but that's not the one I have) offers SACD as standard, plus a host of internet features. The transport is a tad noisy, but not massively so and isn't noticeable under normal playing conditions.

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I no longer have seperate cd and dvd players,i have been using the Cambridge 650 since christmass and im more than happy with it.The picture is very good and i dont have the latest tv about 3yrs old Samsung 37,the sound however is excellent from films and from cd.Go get one!

A

Anonymous

My advise is not to bother with a dedicated CD-player. It's 30 year old technology and it has been "done" by now - you'll get a different impression if you read too much into the (magazine) reviews but reality is these days that the difference between players is minimal. And there is no reason a DVD or Blu-ray player can't sound just as good or better to an dedicated CD-player.

If you want to invest in sound quality, put your money towards an external DAC instead as that will also drive any other sources you may have (cable/satellite TV, computer audio, video games, etc).

A

Anonymous

I have directly compared DX-7355 and Panasonic DMP-BD80 for CD playback. Onkyo has been more detailed, but it lacked bass and was too light or open for my preference. Panasonic lacked detailes, but balance was better. As I also had the same dilema, is there anyone to have compared DX-7355 to DX-C390? I do not need a carusel, but these are the only two available Onkyo CDs. The later also quotes VQA and jitter noise reducing. If there are any experience for analogue CD/MP3 playback with DV-SP506 and BD-SP807 is welcome. I have tested CD output of DV-SP504, it is very distortion free and smooth, but lacks details. In comparisson, despite reviews Pioneer DV-600 has great picture, but soundwise a crap, despite all reviews. It has a lot of distortion and cold. Denon DVD-1930 in CD sounds very nice, warm, a lot of details, but suffers a bit of distortion.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
storsvante said:
My advise is not to bother with a dedicated CD-player. It's 30 year old technology and it has been "done" by now...the difference between players is minimal.
I'm not sure that's true. Your reasoning is sound: the technology is so old that you'd think by now it's been optimised for at least a decade, but I can very easily prove that for example my fifteen year old CD63mkII KI absolutely whips the backside of my (cheap) DVD and BD players. Outboard DAC well fair enough that's a different story; a BD, DVD or CD player playing through the same outboard DAC are obviously going to have a related sound.

F

FunkyMonkey

Whenever this topic comes up, people never mention how good the DAC circuitry is in modern receivers.E.g. music through my Sony 470 and 4 year old onkyo 850 receiver is far better in every way than my 10 year old yamaha cd and marantz amp. Which I still love by the way. Plus, the versatility of modern players, I.e multi format and streaming makes it a no brainer.

manicm

the record spot said:
I have a Sony S370 Blu-Ray player and it's practically as good as my Marantz SA7001-KI. Yes, you can use your Blu-Ray player for CD duties and chances are it'll be fine. Not sure what the Onkyo players will be like, but they seem to optimise a lot of their equipment for music playback and they're throwing the chequebook at their recent lineup, so by all means give it a try.

My Solo Mini may not be the last word in CD replay, but it easily bests the 370 - which I find passable at best - unless you're bypassing its DAC? Let's not get carried away here. I find it hard to believe it's as good as your Marantz.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
Sony's BDP-S370 (now the 380, but that's not the one I have) offers SACD as standard, plus a host of internet features.

It might be important - for anyone thinking of buying the Sony BDP S380 - to note that Sony have dropped the optical digital output on this model. (It still has a digital coax output and analogue RCA phono). Some stand-alone DACs (and other equipment with digital connectivity) may lack a coax digital connection.

T

the record spot

manicm said:
the record spot said:

My Solo Mini may not be the last word in CD replay, but it easily bests the 370 - which I find passable at best - unless you're bypassing its DAC? Let's not get carried away here. I find it hard to believe it's as good as your Marantz.

Nope, running it directly. A very nice sounding machine and not, as I say, too far off the Marantz. I'll use the DAC as well from time to time as well and that's obviously different. Stock, the S370 is a good buy for the money and stacks up well.

A

Anonymous

Denon DVD-2930 could be one of the best choices for price ever. It is including also HQV upscaler.

A

Anonymous

Denon DVD-2930 could be one of the best choices for price ever. It is including also HQV upscaler.

A

Anonymous

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I was going to add a Cyrus CD Player to my system, but my Cambridge Audio BD751 universal player (newish big brother of the 650) has been superb. Great DACs (much better than my Pioneer LX53 a/v).

A

Anonymous

I tried a whole load of dvd players and blu ray players in the past (Sony, Marantz, Panasonic, Denon), with various dacs, and the only one that sounded comparable to a good cd transport was an Oppo 93. I believe the Cambridge Audio ones are a similar design. (Note, only tested using digital coaxial outputs)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts