iPod Classic DAC cradles anywhere?

slarn

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I've got a Yam RX 773 receiver which I connect my iPod classic to via a basic Apple cradle with a analogue stereo mini jack out which goes into my Yam via a fairly decent Cambridge Audio stereo minijack to twin phono cable.

The iPod is full of Apple Lossless files, so they're reasonably good quality wise. I'd like to get a cradle for it that has a good DAC, that will output through an optical cable to my receiver. They seemed to be popular a few years back, but now you don't see many about. Airplay seems to be erratic and unreliable for my receiver, so I'd like a wired soloution with a good DAC. Are there still many of these cradles about? And which are the decent ones for a reasonable price? I was thinking £300 max.

Mark.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
You don't actually need a DAC if you are linking through to the optical input of your receiver, since the optical signal is digital. What you need is a digital transport for your iPod. The Wadia 170i is a good one ... you can get them for around £150 used. The Pure i20 also gets some good reviews, and that actually does have a DAC as a bonus if you ever need to connect through to analogue inputs on your amp.

slarn

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that, very helpful - sorry for so long getting back, but I didn't get any reply notifications via email

Mark

slarn

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that, very helpful - sorry for so long getting back, but I didn't get any reply notifications via email

Mark

slarn

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Got the Cambridge Audio id100 - only £100 from Richer Sounds - really happy, and now I can control my iPod classic from my One For All! Thanks for the recommendation!

Mark

TRENDING THREADS