iPhone 4 should have got 6 stars!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After all, "it's a giant leap ahead of the non-Apple competition".

Too bad it wasn't compared to it's obvious Android competitors, but hey, that's just "reflecting the public's interest". Yes I'm sure it's ahead of the N97 and the 3GS, sigh...

A

Anonymous

it can be done
emotion-2.gif

emotion-10.gif

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:
You're right. It's astounding as long as you don't need to make a phone call. Thy should call it the Apple i.

Hahaha. Its a funny one that, as I really like Apple stuff, but then I know people who LOVE it. I have a mate with a new iPhone, and despite having been cut off from his calls more than once he still insists the signal problem is virtually non existant...

A

Anonymous

manicm:It's funny no iPhone 4 owner seems to have posted here to give comments.

Those of us that actually own this phone are getting pretty bored of trying to explain to those that DON'T own this phone that the signal 'problem' doesn't even exist. This argument has already been done on numerous other threads here and is getting rather tedious now
emotion-20.gif

Feel free to jump on the media bandwagon and tell me the phone I have successfully used in various locations around the country for the past few weeks doesn't work properly
emotion-40.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
But Daveee, surely the mainstream media wouldn't overhype this issue? And surely if they did, people would be sensible enough to only speak from direct experience rather than believing everything they read?

Oh... hang on...

manicm

professorhat:

But Daveee, surely the mainstream media wouldn't overhype this issue? And surely if they did, people would be sensible enough to only speak from direct experience rather than believing everything they read?

Oh... hang on...

My sarcastic point exacty.

A

Anonymous

Daveee:

Those of us that actually own this phone are getting pretty bored of trying to explain to those that DON'T own this phone that the signal 'problem' doesn't even exist. This argument has already been done on numerous other threads here and is getting rather tedious now
emotion-20.gif

Feel free to jump on the media bandwagon and tell me the phone I have successfully used in various locations around the country for the past few weeks doesn't work properly
emotion-40.gif

Wait a minute, I didn't mention the signal problem anywhere and that is not what I was trying to convey. Perhaps my attempt at irony was a poor one. What I meant to say is that I find it strange that WHF can say that:

"The iPhone 4's a big step-on from the 3GS, so it's a giant leap ahead of the non-Apple competition"

Imo this statement implies two things:

- the 3GS is ahead of the current non-Apple competition

- the 4 is a big step up from the 3GS and therefore the 4 must be a huge leap ahead of non-Apple competition

I cannot see how a mag could possibly make such bold claims without even comparing both iPhones to recent competitors like the HTC Desire and Samsung Galaxy S. Those phones compare favorably to the iPhone 4 to everyone that has tested them (with all three phones having their own merits, with the iPhone 4, I concur, looking very nice as well).

Stating that the 4 is a giant leap ahead of the non-Apple competition without including the recent Android phones in the comparison is weird. Stating that the 3GS is better than those as well is just ridiculous. WHF is consistent though. There are only four phones that received 5 stars, all of them made by Apple. Even the completely outclassed iPhone 3G 8 GB retains it's 5 star rating to this day, by this reasoning even the 3G is ahead of current non-Apple competition...

manicm

I get your point, and I think WHF jumped the gun slightly.

That said at the time the 3GS was released Android phones were not even around, as far as I can remember, so it was in a race of one IMO.

The iPhone 4 is superior to most Android phones in a some areas, notably:

Its screen.

Its camera - PC Mag did a comparison of smartphone cameras.

Music audio quality.

Facetime - while some may see this as a gimmick - as far as video calls go it's the simplest to use and the most reliable, as well giving the best quality - albeit in wifi form only.

Apps

A

Anonymous

manicm:

I get your point, and I think WHF jumped the gun slightly.

That said at the time the 3GS was released Android phones were not even around, as far as I can remember, so it was in a race of one IMO.

The iPhone 4 is superior to most Android phones in a some areas, notably:

Its screen.

Its camera - PC Mag did a comparison of smartphone cameras.

Music audio quality.

Facetime - while some may see this as a gimmick - as far as video calls go it's the simplest to use and the most reliable, as well giving the best quality - albeit in wifi form only.

Apps

Well, let's just say the opinions on how the HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S and iPhone 4 compare vary depending on the reviewer. I could point to the screen of the Galaxy S and it's FLAC support, but commenting on this would be beside the point. The point is that they do seem very comparable, with the Android competitors costing less than half of the iPhone 4, something that should not be overlooked. Yet WHF states that both the 3GS and 4 are far ahead of the non-iphone competitors, a rather bold statement for a mag that didn't test the obvious and most direct competitors.

Edit: let me put it differently:

"We tested the new Vauxhall Astra, it's awesome, even better than the previous Astra, so it's a milion times better than the non-Vauxhall competition. What? VW Golf and Ford Focus you say? Nah we don't test those since our public is only interested in reading about Vauxhall and we didn't get a review sample from the others, so our verdict still stands."

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
FYI, KevinOK, we have a test of smartphones coming up in the November issue of the mag (on sale Sept 17th). And yes, we have asked for the HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S and others.

A

Anonymous

Andy Clough:FYI, KevinOK, we have a test of smartphones coming up in the November issue of the mag (on sale Sept 17th). And yes, we have asked for the HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S and others.

That's great news Andy, looking forward to it.

But that still doesn't make it okay to state that the iPhone 4 is a huge leap ahead of the non-Apple competition when you haven't tested that competition yet.

You could have said: "the iPhone 4 is a huge leap ahead of the non-Apple competitors which we tested, which are admitedly very few and also very dated so they could hardly be considered actual competitors to begin with". But I guess that's not much of a headline.
emotion-5.gif

So instead I'd opt for: "The iPhone 4 is excellent, it improves on the 3GS. It'll be interesting to see how it compares now that the competition is heating up, more on that later..."

A

Anonymous

Well i have owned the Iphone 4 since day of release and can confirm that i have never had any of my calls suddenly cut out nor have i ever had an issue with reception etc

A

Anonymous

Quick question here: can you actually buy the iPhone or is it always part of a contract?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts