Requirements for iPhone 5??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all :wave:

The iPhone 5 should hopefully be with us this summer, and i for one am really looking forward to seeing what it'll be like. I have a few requirements for it too..

1. A bigger screen, the retina display is glorious but small compared to most high end smartphones, i think Apple will want to keep the new iPhone's actual size as close as possible to the current one but may still be able to cram in a 4 inch screen that has at least the same PPI, here's hoping.

2. The ability to download whatever i want over cellular data, many people have unlimited data plans and should be allowed to utilise them. It's a pain not being able to watch high res vids on youtube without wifi, or not being able to download apps containing more than 20mb unless using wifi, we should have a choice.

3. More customisation options, ok if you jailbreak your iPhone you can do pretty much anything with it, but that's risky and voids the warranty, i think there should be freedom to download proper live wallpapers etc, aka Android.

Have you guys any requirements for the iPhone 5?

Paul.

I agree with you on 1, I think they will see how much bigger they can make the screen without increasing the device size too much. Thats what I'm hoping for anyway. Cant see them going above 4" unless they split the line and bring in a nano :)

2, I think the 20mb limit is in place to placate the networks, as a the majority of network strain comes from a small minority of smart phone users. I got through 2 gigs in one month before I got bored of iTunes Match :)

3, I can't see you getting this one as it goes against Apples philosophy. Jailbreaking is pretty painless these days, its quite easy to DFU the phone and put the latest official software back on if you need to visit the store. I've seen a few UI tweaks on my friends phone that has tempted me, but I'm too lazy these days.

I would be very surprised if I upgraded my phone this year, as I'm pretty happy with my 4. Im quite interested in NFC tech but not sure if it mature enough yet? Don't play enough games to be concerned with processing or gpu speed.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Useful if it didn't cook my brain whilst in use. Holding a computer to your head with wifi etc can't be good for anyone,especially young folk.

rjb70stoke

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
My only gripes now are my network. O2 seem intent on delivering a bad service, and yes I know I could change provider but, there is no way I'm jacking in my great deal I have through a friend who works for O2.

In response to the op though...

1. I read a while ago that the iPhone design was based on always being able to use it with one hand. While that may seem a bit odd, if you hold any iPhone with one hand, you can reach every icon with your thumb, unlike a Galaxy where you often need 2 hands. I'm yet to meet anybody whom this rule doesn't apply to.

2. Definately down to the networks, see my above comment.

3. I think about this quite often, and while it would be nice, I've never actually seen anything that has made me jailbreak (yet). For a couple of years I wanted to change my text tone, and it became a bit of a bug-bear for me, then when iOS came along with the facility to change them, guess what? I never have.

All in all, I'm still very happy with my iPhone and it's Eco system.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Surely the iPhone 5 will be launched early October, as was the 4S? Apple's products normally have a minimum lifecyle of one year.

As ever, improved battery life would be good.

And compatability with 4G would be useful.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
6th.replicant said:
And compatability with 4G would be useful.

Not for you it wont... :p

It will be great for us city folk though!

Indeed. Home has wi-fi, The Talbot has wi-fi, The Black Swan has wi-fi, Babington has wi-fi - so 4G will be useful when visiting urbanville. Speaking of cities...

Here's a cool 720p vid (5D II) from a mag-format series, featuring the McLaren MP4-12C in some familiar streets, in a familiar city...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mKB-8WUB5k

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I'd say, customisable widgets, themes, the ability to mount as an external hard-drive, use alternate app-stores and a bigger screen.

Hmm.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
Indeed. Home has wi-fi, The Talbot has wi-fi, The Black Swan has wi-fi, Babington has wi-fi - so 4G will be useful when visiting urbanville. Speaking of cities...

Here's a cool 720p vid (5D II) from a mag-format series, featuring the McLaren MP4-12C in some familiar streets, in a familiar city...

Ok, i'll try...

Bristol (from the car vid), Frome/Mells from the other references?

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
A bigger screen would be nice, though not to big. Just to note as the rumours are starting to fly around that the iPhone 5 will have an increase in screen size which might end up being for an iPod touch as its due for an upgrade ( just something to think about ).

4G will be another good point, though i may not have 4G for another good year after the lauch of the iPhone but that wouldn't bother me.

Being able to pull everything from you'r iCloud including TV series and films would be good once 4G has arrived

The rest like specs won't really matter as its able to do everything its needed to do with the current specs, though making things a little smarter in energy consumtion for that longer battery life is always a + point

O and one more thing the wireless charging that Apple is meant to be working on, so you would no longer have to plug and unplug you'r iPhone and just place you'r iDevices on a pad and it charges up. The wireless sinc you can already do

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
6th.replicant said:

Ok, i'll try...

:grin:

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
chebby said:
6th.replicant said:

Ok, i'll try...

My turn. He was on the B3135 near Priddy, and driving around Old Bristol Road past the Priddy Ponds. Some of my favourite roads. Great car BTW.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Diamond Joe said:
6th.replicant said:
chebby said:
6th.replicant said:

Ok, i'll try...

My turn. He was on the B3135 near Priddy, and driving around Old Bristol Road past the Priddy Ponds. Some of my favourite roads. Great car BTW.

Clickety

A

Anonymous

Hopefully the iPhone 5 will be launched early October 2012, as was the 4S Apple's products normally have a minimum lifecyle of one year. As ever, improved battery life would be good. Hopefully IPhone 5 will come soon. We are all waiting Iphone 5.

Paul.

They arnt very good with naming conventions, but technicaly the 4S was the iPhone 5 and the next phone should be iPhone 6. They will probably just call it 'The New iPhone'. Makes sence really, you dont get The Ford Mondeo 4 etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts