DAC recommendation for active speakers

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
I need something good as I have ordered the ATC SCM40a and searching for a DAC.

I don’t care which country they are from, as long as the QC is good.

if there is a tube in the recommendation it should be able to switch to SS.

I have been eyeing the Weiss DAC501 alot. But the price is a little too far up there.

what I need if possible:
1. Optical Toslink input for TV
2. USB soundcard interface for PC
3. LAN for NAS connection. No wifi.
4. Remote control
5. Balanced XLR out

I need a solution and it doesn’t need to be all in one. I will appreciate any help.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
From personal experience, I can vouch for Linn streamer/DAC/preamps - they’re very very good but overpriced - I bought second hand and then had my Akurate upgraded.
I once owned a Chinese monster made by Audio GD - it was built like a tank and sounded rather good. I believe that they have a quite a select fan base and their top end models get very good reviews.
I also have read that Auralic are high quality machines - v good reviews generally.
I’m afraid that the world of DAC/streamers can be a minefield with literally hundreds of makes and models to go at so good luck!

Reactions: CleanCopperz

John Fulwood

Feb 8, 2021
Visit site
I have the Audiolab M-DAC Plus, it has all the things you need, but not sure it is 'high-end' enough for you? It sounds great. I have it being fed by an ifi Zen Stream through USB and an old (30+) reference Sony CD transport through Toslink into a Sugden A21SE amp. I'm using Chord Shawline RCA cables, I've not used the XLR outputs.

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
From personal experience, I can vouch for Linn streamer/DAC/preamps - they’re very very good but overpriced - I bought second hand and then had my Akurate upgraded.
I once owned a Chinese monster made by Audio GD - it was built like a tank and sounded rather good. I believe that they have a quite a select fan base and their top end models get very good reviews.
I also have read that Auralic are high quality machines - v good reviews generally.
I’m afraid that the world of DAC/streamers can be a minefield with literally hundreds of makes and models to go at so good luck!

Thanks a lot for input. Dont’t take the below offensive please🙏

Is Linn scared of showing the specs? It looks like snake oil to me. They are all about presentation and not the “inside”

I couldnt even find something close related to a DAC.

I have only heard about Linn two or three times in my life, must be because of there prices😂😂😂

I have the Audiolab M-DAC Plus, it has all the things you need, but not sure it is 'high-end' enough for you? It sounds great. I have it being fed by an ifi Zen Stream through USB and an old (30+) reference Sony CD transport through Toslink into a Sugden A21SE amp. I'm using Chord Shawline RCA cables, I've not used the XLR outputs.

Sound like a great setup actually. I will check it out. Thanks🙏

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
No offence taken. They’re not generally regarded as a snake oil brand. I would say that they have a reputation for (mostly) high quality kit that comes at a price. As you’ll probably know, they’ve been around some time and have a long history of streaming, junking their highly regarded CD players some years back.
From reading, their top end Klimax streamer is generally regarded as one of the best you can get, but it will set you back a small fortune! Personally, I don’t like their’image’, some of their kit (amps and speakers), or their pricing - apart from this, I really like my Linn streamer!

Reactions: CleanCopperz

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Have you tried connecting two dacs?

Is it possible?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts