iPad, Spotify streaming to an amp

nigel1457

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

I would like to buy an iPad and run Spotify Premium. I want to wirelessly stream Spotify to my existing Kenwood amp/ MIssion speaker set up. What do I need to do this. At the moment I connect my Toshiba Laptop to my amp via the headphone jack.

Thanks, nigel1457

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
while you wait for guys who know the best ways to do this, just do some resaerch on the sonos stuff and squeezebox stuff
i would avoid the apple airfoil i heard loads of bad reviews.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
not a cheap way but i have thought

ipod touch (spotify on it)£160
digital dock onkyo £150
dac of some sort example dac magic £230

and then use the ipad as a remote need a £3 app

A

Anonymous

Apple AEX/ATV plus Airfoil for non iTunes duties works just fine for me I use it to stream a variety of internet based materiel for several hours everyday. Don't know where all the bad press you mention comes from.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
sorry mate i was looking at it a while ago and on google it was full of fire wall problems spotify gets laggy. if it works well then good stuff.

again im sorry and for money the op should look into it at least then.

A

Anonymous

Airplay and the new appleTV will be the way to go. Airplay will be released with IOS 4.2 in November. It will allow you to stream from the spotify app on your ipad / iphone 4 directly to appleTV. Airfoil (which is great) will only allow you to stream music from a pc or laptop to the appleTV or Airport Express. The Airfoil Speakers app will allow you to control your PC to stream music rather than directly streaming. This is similar to the Remote app which allows you to control music on your pc via itunes to appleTV or Airport Express.

A

Anonymous

amcluesent:
>I want to wirelessly stream Spotify to my existing Kenwood amp/ MIssion speaker set up. What do I need to do this.<

The iPad will send audio using Bluetooth, so the QED uPlay Receiver ought to work, AFAIK it has a line out for connection to amp. If money's no object, the Chordette Gem.

http://whathifi.com/Review/QED-U-Play-Bluetooth-receiver/

If you wait a bit, AirPlay licensed units will be appearing.

I was really dissapointed with the quality of music over bluthooth to my AV reciever via u-Play. I believe the quality is better if you take advantage of the apt-X codec supported by the u-Play reciever. However you will probally have to buy an extra bluetooth dongle to transmit in the apt-X codec. Both will be about £50 adding up to more than the price of the new appleTV. I would go with appleTV as will not suffer as much reduction in quality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts