iOS 5...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
IOS5 - basically every feature is already available on android, and IOS5 is a blatant copy. Good luck on your 800Mhz Iphone 4S with only 512MB ram and crappy 3.5inch display.

And how much has it cost u?

Hilarious. Follow that sheep - oh wait ur already in that flock....

So by having an android device you're somehow unique? Just like everyone else that has one?

Nothing wrong with either os. You choose whichever you prefer.

I'm an Android person as well, on my 3rd Android phone (HTC Sensation). I've played with an iPhone extensively. I've never felt that it was underpowered or slow. I also thought that a 3.5 inch screen is perfect size, which enables easy one hand operation. I have to reach out to access the top button on my Sensation. Larger screens may be of use to some, but I don't see any advantage.

With regards to features, remember that Android platform itself is an iOS (or OSX as it was called before) copy. Yes a lot of features in iOS 5 were already present in Android. Let's use an example. Google voice is already present in Android phones....have you noticed it appears pedestrian as compared to Siri?

All I want to say is this; this argument of "my phone is better than yours", or "android is better than iOS" or "iPhone processor is a lot slower than some Android phones" doesn't hold a candle. Use in real life is all that matters. Some prefer Android & some prefer iPhone. Let's stay that way without ridiculing the other camp.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:

Would you say this to iPhone users in public? Complete strangers? Including the big lairy looking ones? (Don't worry they're only sheep).

Probably not.

Couldn't you have criticised the phone without insulting the users?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
I'm an Android person as well, on my 3rd Android phone (HTC Sensation). I've played with an iPhone extensively. I've never felt that it was underpowered or slow. I also thought that a 3.5 inch screen is perfect size, which enables easy one hand operation. I have to reach out to access the top button on my Sensation. Larger screens may be of use to some, but I don't see any advantage.

With regards to features, remember that Android platform itself is an iOS (or OSX as it was called before) copy. Yes a lot of features in iOS 5 were already present in Android. Let's use an example. Google voice is already present in Android phones....have you noticed it appears pedestrian as compared to Siri? All I want to say is this; this argument of "my phone is better than yours", or "android is better than iOS" or "iPhone processor is a lot slower than some Android phones" doesn't hold a candle. Use in real life is all that matters. Some prefer Android & some prefer iPhone. Let's stay that way without ridiculing the other camp.

Well said. Now then...

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I updated my iPad yesterday to iOS 5, easy enough process, without any glitches.....or so I thought.

Backed up the iPad first using iTunes and then downloaded the upgrade.....iPad seemed to sync OK with all appropriate apps added back and working.

However went into my diary this morning and it's deleted all my appointments and diary dates from the calendars......FFS. This is my work diary as well which makes its even worse. Not had a chance to check iTunes to make sure they backed up, as they should have done....not a happy bunny at the moment.

I have heard various reports that people have lost apps/music and videos on the iPhone when undertaking the upgrade.........not good at all!!!

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
IOS5 - basically every feature is already available on android, and IOS5 is a blatant copy. Good luck on your 800Mhz Iphone 4S with only 512MB ram and crappy 3.5inch display.

And how much has it cost u?

How times have changed - it was not too many years ago it was the Apple users that were firing comments like this at PC users [insert ironic smiley here]

I will wait a week or so until the dust settles before exploring this for my ipad2

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Despite my very slow wifi the download went very smoothly, just under an hour. First restore crashed and then subsequent ones also claimed to have failed. In fact everything restored - except all of my music has been wiped! :mad: This is just over 3000 songs and will take many, many hours to restore, very frustrating.

Not had much chance to experiment with the changes, but the predictive text now appears context based and is much improved, as is the appearance of text messages when locked. Not fundamentals, but still good.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
In fact everything restored - except all of my music has been wiped! :mad: This is just over 3000 songs and will take many, many hours to restore.

Why can't you just re-sync the phone? Are you saying the iOS upgrade wiped the 3000 songs from the iTunes on your computer too?

Paul.

I think some people are misunderstanding the chain of events with syncing the phone on iOS5

The only difference is that the phone is no longer disabled when syncing data, its only disabled when updating the OS.

Previously, new OS means a restore, the phone is not accessible until the data is transferred, which takes ages.

Now, the phone updates in a short period of time, but the phone is fully accessible whilst the music is syncing. It still takes ages to upload the music, but you can access the phone whilst you are doing it.

The phone has been restored on OS install. If you un plug the phone as soon as the GUI is accessible (and don't wait for the spiny update icon to finish spinning) the the music has not been uploaded yet.

It is not faster to upload data, it just gives you access to go about your business on your phone whilst it updates.

Hope I'm not telling anyone how to suck eggs.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
BenLaw said:
In fact everything restored - except all of my music has been wiped! :mad: This is just over 3000 songs and will take many, many hours to restore.

Why can't you just re-sync the phone? Are you saying the iOS upgrade wiped the 3000 songs from the iTunes on your computer too?

I can and am re-syncing. Got about 1,000 done when i left it running yesterday night, at which point I imagine my computer went to sleep. It takes a very long time as it compresses to ?128k to fit so many songs on.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
You dont really need icloud for your music.

Download the AudioGalaxy app (free) for your iphone/ipad/android and its lets u stream music from your home computer or NAS over wifi/3g.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
But then, at least currently in the UK, iCloud has little to do with music. Its main function is to provide a backup for your iPhone for those who don't want to / can't backup to a local iTunes instance on a PC / Mac.

Once iTunes Match arrives on these shores, it will then become more important for the music side of things.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
professorhat said:
But then, at least currently in the UK, iCloud has little to do with music. Its main function is to provide a backup for your iPhone for those who don't want to / can't backup to a local iTunes instance on a PC / Mac.

Once iTunes Match arrives on these shores, it will then become more important for the music side of things.

You could just use dropbox to backup your iphone of course. Interestingly someone has already ported Siri onto an Iphone4 so it looks like its for marketing reasons - not technical reasons - that Apple only include it on the 4s at the moment. Of course this is largely irrelevant until they update Siri for the UK

Maybe they should have mentioned that Siri only partially works outside the USA before putting on sale in the UK ?

Actually, it was mentioned in the keynote presentation. They even said before showing the Siri demo that they're not certain if it would work well as it's still in beta version, but want to show it anyway as they're excited about it.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
professorhat said:

You could just use dropbox to backup your iphone of course.

Of course you could. Or any other online storage system. The advantage of iCloud is it's built into the phone. My other half isn't particularly technical and has just got a new iPhone 4 and all she had to do was say Yes when it asked her to sync with iCloud and it was done.

You might not like it, and you may well have the knowledge to put in an alternative system for your own phone. But for someone like her (and I would imagine most smart phone owners), it just makes things easier as she doesn't have to learn anything new or think about it, it's just done for her.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
AnotherJoe said:
professorhat said:

You could just use dropbox to backup your iphone of course.

Of course you could. Or any other online storage system. The advantage of iCloud is it's built into the phone. My other half isn't particularly technical and has just got a new iPhone 4 and all she had to do was say Yes when it asked her to sync with iCloud and it was done.

You might not like it, and you may well have the knowledge to put in an alternative system for your own phone. But for someone like her (and I would imagine most smart phone owners), it just makes things easier as she doesn't have to learn anything new or think about it, it's just done for her.

YOuve really summed up iPhone and actually why I like apple in general. I know so many people who go on about jail breaking their iPhone or just don't like apple because other products seem to offer the same or better for "free". Since I started work in 2000 I have worked in IT and therefore if I wanted to could probably work out all the cheats and cracks to get my iPhone doing some super duper albeit unsupported stuff. The point for me is, I can't be bothered with that and actually like having a product which does some really good stuff out of the box.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
AnotherJoe you seem to be blinded by your own lack of knowledge. Yes there are things copied from android but it works both ways and not just over 2 company's. Things like mobileme have been around for many years and many companies did not offer this kind of service first including android.

Now even people like google offer these services. Its just what apple had in place was out dated and has now been updated and does things very slightly better than the rest because of the broadness of its compatibility with its products. In time someone else will improve things again

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi all

I upgraded iTunes on W7-64bit then upgraded my 3GS to iOS5. It took 1.5-2hrs but eventually installed with some help. The icons seem better looking & Reminders has been added which was an obvious omission. From what I've read, I've been lucky to not loose songs or end up with a dead phone. The Facebook app didn't work until I installed the upgrade version last Friday.

For me, it's goodbye 3GS that goes to my GF on a dead cheap Voda sim-only 12 month contract & hello to a shiny new 4S. The SQ from my PX200s is noticeably better!

I had to cancel my new 1 yr 300 min contract with Voda when picking up the phone & restart with 1200 mins - the yearly cost is the same! They refunded the difference in up-front cost from £399 to £219 but the monthly charge goes from £36 to £51 - it was a no-brainer

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I think dropbox is actually a better option for backing up your iphone.

iCloud backup doesnt store login details and the like for applications - whereas dropbox does.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
I think dropbox is actually a better option for backing up your iphone.

iCloud backup doesnt store login details and the like for applications - whereas dropbox does.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing ? Just in case someone gets hold of your phone. I personally would not leave passwords on my ipod touch or ipad or even my normal mobile

TRENDING THREADS