iOS 5...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
I'm already eyeing up a new MacBook Pro...after all, in these situations, you've gotta make lemonade :grin:

If you are planning on a larger model than the 13", then I would be tempted to get the iMac 21.5" (£999) for home and an iPad 2 32GB WiFi+3G (£579) for 'out-and-about'* (and everything else) instead.

Together they only cost £29 more than the basic 15" MacBook Pro.

*Or a cheaper Wifi only model that you can tether to your iPhone.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
professorhat said:
I'm already eyeing up a new MacBook Pro...after all, in these situations, you've gotta make lemonade :grin:

If you are planning on a larger model than the 13", then I would be tempted to get the iMac 21.5" (£999) for home and an iPad 2 32GB WiFi+3G (£579) for 'out-and-about' (and everything else) instead.

Together they only cost £30 more than the basic 15" MacBook Pro.

That's a valid argument - thanks chebby, didn't really think of that. Was thinking of the 13" model to double up for living room use, but then the iPad would make much more sense for that. In which case, I could just get Mac Mini as I've already got the keyboard and screen and don't really need oodles of power any more as Mac is basically just used for iTunes, iPhoto, Spotify etc. If I can offload my Power Mac G5 for a decent price, might be able to convince the other half that's the way to go.

Gonna have a think...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
...In which case, I could just get Mac Mini as I've already got the keyboard and screen and don't really need oodles of power any more as Mac is basically just used for iTunes, iPhoto, Spotify etc.

Don't forget the external DVD/CD drive as well. New Mac Minis don't have a built in 'Superdrive' any more. (And according to user reviews on the Apple UK shop, the external MacBook Air SuperDrive is pants!)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
professorhat said:
...In which case, I could just get Mac Mini as I've already got the keyboard and screen and don't really need oodles of power any more as Mac is basically just used for iTunes, iPhoto, Spotify etc.

Don't forget the external DVD/CD drive as well. New Mac Minis don't have a built in 'Superdrive' any more.

Good point - I do have an external USB drive already thankfully.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
professorhat said:
Thanks chebby - good to know. Lee - yep, they're on the same network.

Some further digging has revealed the possibility Wifi sync only works on OS X 10.6.8 and above - a little annoying as I'm stuck on 10.5.8 on my PowerPC Mac...

I've not confirmed it yet, but this is certainly looking to be the most likely cause.

As close to 100% confirmation you can get of the above (until Apple deign to inform people, which might be weeks). Someone on the Apple forums had the same issue on 10.6.6. He saw my post, upgraded to 10.6.8 and lo and behold, the check box appeared.

Seems absolutely crazy this isn't mentioned in the pre-requisites - WHF team, might be worth updating your news article to mention this for people running older versions of Mac OS X as I know not everyone reads the forums.

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
For the first time I was pleased that my children woke me up at 5.30am as it meant I could start the whole process again as the majority of the USA were sleeping! So on the 10th attempt the back up and update went through without any hitches albeit very slowly on restoring apps. Not yet had a chance to play as had to come to work but looking forward to getting stuck in tonight.

As I turned off the mac I noticed that I've gone from 20Gb left on my hard drive to 6Gb...definitely need that NAS, but I thought iOS5 was only 770mb. I've not added anything else to my mac so does anyone know why I've "lost" 14Gb??

Many thanks

Chisy

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Chisy1 said:
As I turned off the mac I noticed that I've gone from 20Gb left on my hard drive to 6Gb...definitely need that NAS, but I thought iOS5 was only 770mb. I've not added anything else to my mac so does anyone know why I've "lost" 14Gb??

Nope, that's odd. I took a backup of Mac yesterday morning before all these updates and it had 40.79 GB free at that point. I now have 39.7 GB free, so looks like just over 1 GB has been used for me.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Chisy1 said:

Probably 770MB for every repeat attempt.

Have you powered off/powered on since the upgrade? Might be worth trying if not.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Worth noting that the download may 'only' be @770MB, but that's a compressed file - which extracts itself once you download it. Not saying it'll be taking multiple GB mind you, but more than initial download size, it seems....

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
Ah yes, i didnt think about the fact that it will have created multiple back ups each time so, 770mb (after file uncompressed) x10 probably does get somewhere near the lost memory. I'll have a look at the "back up" file when i get home and hope that does the trick. thanks very much for the hints!

Chisy

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Further clarification from Infoworld:

iOS 5 provides automatic wireless syncing and backup to your choice of your computer's iTunes or your iCloud account. You can manually sync to both, and your iTunes purchases can sync to all devices tied to your Apple ID over the Internet, rather than through iTunes. iTunes Wi-Fi syncing requires iTunes 10.5 on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, or Mac OS X 10.7.2 Lion. iCloud requires Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Mac OS X 10.7.2 Lion.

John Duncan

Andrew Everard said:
John Duncan said:
I think I'm waiting for 5.1...
What, from that titchy speaker?

Ho yeah. Stick one on each end of one of these babies and you're away...

3978093372_488f7bd808.jpg

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Love the hat JD :) Things seem to be running a bit more smoothly today, a couple of the guys in the office upgraded this afternoon without any hitches. Daren't think what the strain on Apple's servers was like last night! :O Took me several hours to update, as you can read in my blog.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I think I'm waiting for 5.1...

Probably sensible - though there are a lot of great features. There's the big ones like Notification Centre and iCloud, but one little hidden gem is Shortcuts (under General > Keyboard) which lets you set up small typing macros. A pre-defined example is "omw" which is automatically changed to "On my way!" when you type it within an app. You can add your own, so makes typing things you say a lot much easier.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
professorhat said:
I don't seem to have this option on my Summary tab. Just to be clear, do you have something which looks like this in iTunes?

wifisync1.jpg

i.e. a tick box which says "Sync with this iPhone over Wi-fi"?

Hi,

Yes I have an option like that. When I tick it, itunes restarts itself despite a manual shut down, haven't had time to play today yet but going to investigate more.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

I can only access the camera from the locked screen when i double press the home button. I can no longer access it when the phone is unlocked. Anybody else have this problem?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
cb75 said:
I can only access the camera from the locked screen when i double press the home button. I can no longer access it when the phone is unlocked. Anybody else have this problem?

Nope, Camera app works normally for me when I use it from both. What happens when you try?

A

Anonymous

Double click the home button when locked and it should appear..

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
The camera problem happened to me last night. Switched it off and on again and it seemed to be fine. I've finally managed to sync tonight and everything is once again working as it should be. Just a bit of a pain to have to reselect everything that had to go back on the Touch, but hey ho.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
IOS5 - basically every feature is already available on android, and IOS5 is a blatant copy. Good luck on your 800Mhz Iphone 4S with only 512MB ram and crappy 3.5inch display.

And how much has it cost u?

Hilarious. Follow that sheep - oh wait ur already in that flock....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts