Introduction & A few basic questions...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HeyGuys & Girls...

I'm new to the site and have just bought a house in the surrey area...

I'm in the process of sorting out my new place and am after some advice regarding home cinema... I have little to no knowledge so, be gentle please haha…

Due to the proximity of neighbours I can't have a large system at all so ideally I want something that’s going to perform well without being really loud...

I’ve been looking at some packages and the like but don’t fully understand the components involved, the heart of the packages I’ve been looking at have ‘av receivers’ how does this connect to theTV and speakers? Also, will all sources use the system, e.g. tv, ps3 etc etc…Is this AV receiver also a dvd player?

I’m working with a relatively small room so would consider a 2.1 system if you guys could recommend something particularly good… but I think5.1 is the way to go.

Also, I want to go straight into HD so will require blu-ray compatibility forthe 1080p TV.

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated, Apologies for knowing nothing to start with haha…

Thanks,

James

A

Anonymous

The room is only 12 foot by 10...

budget wise, a couple of grand including the TV.

Messiah

You say you want a 1080p TV and this is to be included in the £2k budget. Do you have a screen size in mind??

Obviously the larger it is the bigger the impact on the budget. Also, many people think that 1080p in not really necessary on TVs 32" or less but that may be for you to decide.

A

Anonymous

I see,

well yeah i was going for 32 inch,

so i could get a 720p set without noticing much difference?

Messiah

FREEQUENCI:
I've been looking at some packages and the like but don't fully understand the components involved, the heart of the packages I've been looking at have 'av receivers' how does this connect to theTV and speakers? Also, will all sources use the system, e.g. tv, ps3 etc etc.Is this AV receiver also a dvd player?

The Receiver would be at the heart of the system. You would connect your Blu-Ray player, CD player, Games Console etc to this and it would send the pictures to the TV and the sound to the speakers.

With the items I have listed above you would need speaker cable to connect up the 5 speakers, 2 HDMI cables (One from the blu-ray player to the receiver and one from the receiver to the TV) a Subwoofer cable. THIS site is a good source for all these.

You should also look into stands for the front speaker and perhaps a dedicated rack for the TV, Centre Speaker and the AV Kit. (Like THIS)

Hope this helps...

(Additionally I have used THESE guys before and Dave from Frank Harvey is regularly on here giving advice)

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I personally would look at a larger screen. Cut out a piece of newspaper to the size of say a 37/40/42" set and place it in your room. I'm sure you would be able to accommodate a larger screen. You mentioned a PS3, do you already have one? As you may be starting from scratch, I would visit a dealer as you might be able to negotiate a nice discount on all the kit if buying together. Sites such as creative-audio and quantumelectronics (and hifix mentioned above) should be able to give you some ideas of what is available and also pricing. Both Quantum and Creative do packages inc. cabling too. Messiah's replies above are spot on and should give you something to think about before visiting the dealers too.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies,

I do already have the ps3 yes.

I know what sort of products to be looking for now anyway so thats half the battle haha...

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
As you have the PS3, I would stick with it for bluray. It is a more than capable machine with great features and it is updated regularly by Sony. It's probably the most flexible player out there and would allow you to allocate your £ elsewhere e.g. that larger screen or better speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts