Question Active speaker questions

Bricksmasher

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
Hi Guys

I'm looking to get something to improve the sound of my TV, Was considering a soundbar at first with £150ish budget but someone suggested look at an amp/speaker set. Which looking into I thought may be easier as a noob to get active speakers instead.

So I guess I think I settled on the idea of active speakers as I just wanted nice sound, with little hassle. I'm looking at ones with Bluetooth, and also ones that you can control the volume from the TV, I also read for music Aptx is recommended too.

But I'd welcome any suggestions on speakers, or other setups around £150 ish (could consider abit more if I really needed to) that would suit? Or if there's any advice as in general, happy to hear.

Thanks 👍

The success of this will depend on what output(s) your telly has that go via the volume control. Personally, I think soundbars and sound bases are popular for a reason.

The ones I’ve used connect with optical cable from your TV, but if you can find connectable powered speakers that you prefer at £150 then you may have a result. I suspect they’ll be more like PC speakers, but I’ve not looked at that market for many years.

Bricksmasher

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
Thanks very much

I do have an optical output and HDMI earc and usb on my TV and that appears to be it.

I'm abit clueless when it comes to all of this to be honest, but I'd consider anything that would sound great within my budget. I only really thought of active speakers, because I didn't want to hassle of learning about seperate Amps and speakers

Something like these look nice, and I think does everything I need 🤔

Edifier R1700BTs Active Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - 2.0 Wireless Near Field Studio Monitor Speaker - 66w RMS with Subwoofer Line Out - Wooden Enclosure https://amzn.eu/d/0Zdi0E0

Last edited:
Thanks very much

I do have an optical output and HDMI earc and usb on my TV and that appears to be it.

I'm abit clueless when it comes to all of this to be honest, but I'd consider anything that would sound great within my budget. I only really thought of active speakers, because I didn't want to hassle of learning about seperate Amps and speakers

Something like these look nice, and I think does everything I need 🤔

Edifier R1700BTs Active Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - 2.0 Wireless Near Field Studio Monitor Speaker - 66w RMS with Subwoofer Line Out - Wooden Enclosure https://amzn.eu/d/0Zdi0E0
They look great, and if you can fit them in then they might give a decent sound. But I only see line analogue inputs on those speakers, and yet you don’t have line-level output from your telly. As the description says, they’re for connection to a computer. One of the Q&A even asks if there’s an optical input!

There are workarounds but that’ll be way beyond your budget with no certainty it’ll work dependably.

Reactions: Bricksmasher

Bricksmasher

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
Just settled on these in the end, has the optical output but only the aptx missing. But to be fair I oirbabsoy wouidnt even notice and should be a vast improvement on my TVs crappy speakers 😅

Edifier R1280DBs Active Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Optical Input - 2.0 Wireless Studio Monitor Speaker - 42W RMS with Subwoofer Line Out - Black https://amzn.eu/d/7oHLxxV

Bricksmasher

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
Thanks, good to knowm shows my level of understanding 😂

I've opted for those above now so hopefully when they arrive they'll be what in hoping for

Thanks, good to knowm shows my level of understanding 😂

I've opted for those above now so hopefully when they arrive they'll be what in hoping for
To be fair to you, that’s what the manufacturers calls them, so we can hardly blame you. But Vincent makes the true distinction between active speakers with amplifiers for each speaker, after the crossover, and the powered type you’re buying - distinguishable with only one speaker containing an amplifier, and a separate ’slave’ speaker.

Reactions: Bricksmasher

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts