Interconnect

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
To keep the thread civil and scientific it has finally descended to the stature of 'willy waving'.

The 'ultimate insult' has at last been made...

"My system is better than your system, so I can hear the difference and you can't".

We need the hi-fi equivilent of Godwin's law to be applied here.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
well make up a pair of coathanger interconnects, let us know what it sounds like? I could do with a laugh! I'm assuming the with 'no I'll effects' is a caveat..because it may work but it's sounds really bad! Or maybe it will sound really good? I have a suspicion it'd going to sound horrible! But I'm just a cynic..lol
Nope, no expectation bias here....nothing to se...move on :)

Seriously, I know the honest basics about electrics, conductivity and electronics. But I'm outclassed by the technical bods here who've forgotten more than I know. But some of you disciples, who think your megabuck cables make some iota of difference beyond any other adequately-made cable 100x cheaper, clearly know even less than I do, yet you argue the toss with posters who obviously know the science behind it all inside out, perhaps because it's been their job to know it all in a professional capacity away from this forum. And then you wonder why they think you're clueless gullible morons.

K

keeper of the quays

davedotco said:
To keep the thread civil and scientific it has finally descended to the stature of 'willy waving'.

The 'ultimate insult' has at last been made...

"My system is better than your system, so I can hear the difference and you can't".

if your referring to my comment? No insult was meant. Are you saying low end beginner hifi can reveal intricacies in a music performance the same as high end? I hope not! ( I will look at your links but decorating at the moment!)

K

keeper of the quays

MajorFubar said:
well make up a pair of coathanger interconnects, let us know what it sounds like? I could do with a laugh! I'm assuming the with 'no I'll effects' is a caveat..because it may work but it's sounds really bad! Or maybe it will sound really good? I have a suspicion it'd going to sound horrible! But I'm just a cynic..lol
Nope, no expectation bias here....nothing to se...move on :)

Seriously, I know the honest basics about electrics, conductivity and electronics. But I'm outclassed by the technical bods here who've forgotten more than I know. But some of you disciples, who think your megabuck cables make some iota of difference beyond any other adequately-made cable 100x cheaper, clearly know even less than I do, yet you argue the toss with posters who obviously know the science behind it all inside out, perhaps because it's been their job to know it all in a professional capacity away from this forum. And then you wonder why they think you're clueless gullible morons.
Major if the so called great and good tell you to jump in front of a bus? Would you do it? Of course you wouldn't..you put too much credence on scientific twaddle which surprises me as i think your a intelligent man..and fine musician too..sometimes intelligence can be a trap too..blue sky thinking might help...break out of the logical thought pattern..i did change my interconnects and with the cheap ones I could hear a guitar? With my decent interconnects I could almost say what the make of guitar was! That's a huge difference..come and listen..ill give you the cues to listen out for! It may not be night and day to you but the subtleties of difference are massive if one has a ear to hear? Your hifi is hobbled by adherence to your wrong notions..sorry.truth hurts..

K

keeper of the quays

Re the video of the two young men doing the cable test? They are too young to be smug! I'm sure it will come in time..i did the test sort of at home..i changed the interconnects for cheap ones and vice versa..these two twits with their salesman rep watches! Are 100% wrong! If you think tweedledum and tweedledee make a video and it has some veracity? Your the joke..my ears don't lie...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Re the video of the two young men doing the cable test? They are too young to be smug! I'm sure it will come in time..i did the test sort of at home..i changed the interconnects for cheap ones and vice versa..these two twits with their salesman rep watches! Are 100% wrong! If you think tweedledum and tweedledee make a video and it has some veracity? Your the joke..my ears don't lie...

Well they did not do the test. Changing your cables at home tells is very little, at least they bothered to measure something. I really think you have missed the whole point in these debates. If you did some blind ABX tests then we would have more to go on. Really saying you thought you heard something with your bias means nothing.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
...scientific twaddle...

Bloody scientists and their crazy ideas! Constantly stifling the creativity of artistic types with their rules and their laws. And even then, lots of it turns out to be wrong - that Newton bloke thought he knew it all, turns out he was wrong and his laws were just a sufficiently close approximation that we have been using them successfully to create the modern world for 350 odd years, fancy not taking General and Specific Relativity into account in the 1600s - schoolboy error.

If only the world was free of science and engineering so true art and culture could be free.

Er hang on a minute, left to the artists, where would all these works of art and musical extraveganzas be held ? How would we travel to see them? How would films be made, distributed or shown without equipment? Music recorded, amplified for live performance and played back? How would we stream music into the house over phone lines without phone lines or the internet.

Unfortunately, HiFi, like every man-made item to greater or lesser extent, is designed and built on the principles of scientific twaddle. Even the canvas the Sunflowers are painted on and the oil paints used were created using the science of the time.

Art is great, but it's a luxury afforded by science!

*Ducks*

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:

Tchaikovsky award ?
tumblr_n589haK0761qhwttfo1_500.jpg

Hello there.

I have spent many an hour reading these forums over the last 3 or 4 years . Usually everyone is so friendly and helpful but this thread is a disgrace .

keeper of the quays, I really think you are wrong too call them 2 young men twits. I have noticed since you appeared on these forums that you have a knack for being rude and thinking you are in some way superior.

There that's my thought on this thread .

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
davedotco said:

Tchaikovsky award ?

Very, very good...*good*

I also feel that, as is the case with Godwin's law, the person invoking said law is automatically assumed to have lost the argument.

K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:

Well they did not do the test. Changing your cables at home tells is very little, at least they bothered to measure something. I really think you have missed the whole point in these debates. If you did some blind ABX tests then we would have more to go on. Really saying you thought you heard something with your bias means nothing.
so a test with a scientific leaning even though the science is open to question? Has rigour in your eyes..so do you grasp on to every scientific clap trap theory with both hands? Never to let go just in case you may have to think for yourself? Blimey big h! That's no way to live..theres to many sheep mate..be the shepherd.

K

keeper of the quays

TomSawyer said:
...scientific twaddle...

Bloody scientists and their crazy ideas! Constantly stifling the creativity of artistic types with their rules and their laws. And even then, lots of it turns out to be wrong - that Newton bloke thought he knew it all, turns out he was wrong and his laws were just a sufficiently close approximation that we have been using them successfully to create the modern world for 350 odd years, fancy not taking General and Specific Relativity into account in the 1600s - schoolboy error.

If only the world was free of science and engineering so true art and culture could be free.

Er hang on a minute, left to the artists, where would all these works of art and musical extraveganzas be held ? How would we travel to see them? How would films be made, distributed or shown without equipment? Music recorded, amplified for live performance and played back? How would we stream music into the house over phone lines without phone lines or the internet.

Unfortunately, HiFi, like every man-made item to greater or lesser extent, is designed and built on the principles of scientific twaddle. Even the canvas the Sunflowers are painted on and the oil paints used were created using the science of the time.

Art is great, but it's a luxury afforded by science!

*Ducks*
young tom you make a cogent argument? My view is this the blind lead the blind and both fall into a ditch? In the land of the blind? The one eyed man is king! The artist is the one eyed man..there needs to be people who buck the trend, go against the flow? Otherwise we become autobots! You choose young tom sawyer autobot or one eyed man? Choose carefully as your the future! Us old dogs on the odd occasion rise up from our beds to sniff for change in the air, then we fall back to sleep to dream of being a pup again..

K

keeper of the quays

Rob G said:

Hello there.

I have spent many an hour reading these forums over the last 3 or 4 years . Usually everyone is so friendly and helpful but this thread is a disgrace .

keeper of the quays, I really think you are wrong too call them 2 young men twits. I have noticed since you appeared on these forums that you have a knack for being rude and thinking you are in some way superior.

There that's my thought on this thread .

if I have offended your delicate sensibilities, I apologise..however these young clowns offer us a truth? Pah!! It's nit a truth..a simplistic drum pattern as a test? Mr g? Are they being serious? Mahler's symphony's..thats a test! Chances are these young men have never heard of Mahler...they are 100% wrong...please come to my home and listen for yourself..its clear to me..cables make a big difference..if you think this isn't the case? Your missing out on listening to music and I feel sorry because of this fact..as I want everyone to appreciate well recorded music as I do..not just listen but to actually hear? Sorry again for any offence..not my intention..

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:

so a test with a scientific leaning even though the science is open to question? Has rigour in your eyes..so do you grasp on to every scientific clap trap theory with both hands? Never to let go just in case you may have to think for yourself? Blimey big h! That's no way to live..theres to many sheep mate..be the shepherd.

Believe what you want but yes it has more evidence than what some audiophile thinks he hears. And if you bothered to watch it fully you would have seen that they did hear a difference and it was measurable, so instead of slating it, it actually supports your arguement so shows how biased you really are!

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
BigH said:
Believe what you want but yes it has more evidence than what some audiophile thinks he hears. And if you bothered to watch it fully you would have seen that they did hear a difference and it was measurable, so instead of slating it, it actually supports your arguement so shows how biased you really are!

To be fair, they did find a difference but the biggest difference was between the home made and the £20 Van-Damme. Even then, it took 10 or 11 passes through a 4m cable for the difference to become detectable, and a 40m cable is "unusual" in HiFi.

Crikey, assuming a pro-rate price, a 40m LFD Diamond Viper II interconnect would cost £272,000!

K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:
BigH said:

I did watch it..i endured the first ten minutes of tedium whilst they tried to provide their credentials for this silly test! Mahler is the test!!! One of those fine young fellows said he thought the monster cable had a touch more weight? Lol..did I not say with cheap cables you can a guitar with good cables you could guess at the maker of guitar? What does that tell you big h? It's not about extra weight? It's about clarion sound, the decay of notes! The sound of a slight buzz as string hits freeboard..the holographic picture of the performers where you can tell the height of the singer..and where they are standing in the sound stage..very wide soundstage..extra weight in the bass ? Big h it's a big joke..listen with your ears..

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
TomSawyer said:
BigH said:

To be fair, they did find a difference but the biggest difference was between the home made and the £20 Van-Damme. Even then, it took 10 or 11 passes through a 4m cable for the difference to become detectable, and a 40m cable is "unusual" in HiFi.

Crikey, assuming a pro-rate price, a 40m LFD Diamond Viper II interconnect would cost £272,000!

Yes thats true, the differences are very small thats why they would choose the cheaper cables.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
BigH said:

I did watch it..i endured the first ten minutes of tedium whilst they tried to provide their credentials for this silly test! Mahler is the test!!! One of those fine young fellows said he thought the monster cable had a touch more weight? Lol..did I not say with cheap cables you can a guitar with good cables you could guess at the maker of guitar? What does that tell you big h? It's not about extra weight? It's about clarion sound, the decay of notes! The sound of a slight buzz as string hits freeboard..the holographic picture of the performers where you can tell the height of the singer..and where they are standing in the sound stage..very wide soundstage..extra weight in the bass ? Big h it's a big joke..listen with your ears..

What is the silver interconnect brand?

K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:

which one? The one my mate uses? £100 for a metre I think £50 for half a metre?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:

Yes the £100 pm one.

K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:

Yes the £100 pm one.
I'll find out..be bought two pairs first one was revealing but muddled when it came to complicated passages of music..then he bought another pair from a different manufacturer..which he felt wasn't as homemade as the first set! These are much better..on complicated pieces of music everything in it's right place..to quote Radiohead..lol..

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
TrevC said:
I have the Leak tuner, currently I'm using a Sony budget amp with remote, A Pioneer CD recorder, A Philips 850 mk II CD player, an LG bluray, B&W 601 speakers, a BK sub and an antimode. Freebie interconnects and blue foo ones that I was given, Speaker cables are 2 runs of 79 strand in parallel. The tuner is the best sounding one I've heard.

For once, think there may be something in the "You're system isn't revealing enough to show cable differences" argument.

I really don't like 601's.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Bold statement? Maybe..the speakers my friend has are nothing that you would of heard of before..sorry if that sounds arrogant, it's not meant to be..only five pairs of these in the world! The only thing I can find wrong is the music is so intense that it certainly isn't for casual listening! When you listen to a symphony? At the end you need a break! Lol...Ps my views seem a bit of a waste of words in some respects? As you will never hear them sadly..maybe if you come down to Hastings I'll ask him if you can have a listen? Then you will see or hear what I mean..it's nothing like you will have heard before...(of course I don't know what you have heard before? But I'm 100% certain you won't have heard these speakers..) if I seem to be bigging myself up on the supposed quality's of my friends speakers it's not my intention..cheers
In other words, his single driver speakers sound fatiguing.

Yes I have heard similar speakers before.

Not my type of speaker at all.

This is a common trait of single driver speakers. You get the plus points of midrange clarity, iimmediacy, clarity, dynamics at the expense of a fatiguing St Pauls Cathedral shaped tonal balance. A speaker that filters out bass guitars and bass drums.

No speaker's perfect. Pick the best compromises for you.

And, KeeperoftheQuays - what makes you think that no-one on this forum has a system approching the overall sound quality of your friends system? Just because his speakers didn't sell well, doesn't mean to say they're overall better than what everyone else has got.

K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:

unfortunate name I'm afraid! The manufacturer is called 'achtung audio'

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:

unfortunate name I'm afraid! The manufacturer is called 'achtung audio'

Well that should go well with Mahler.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts