Interconnect

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:
keeper of the quays said:
BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:
Re the video of the two young men doing the cable test? They are too young to be smug! I'm sure it will come in time..i did the test sort of at home..i changed the interconnects for cheap ones and vice versa..these two twits with their salesman rep watches! Are 100% wrong! If you think tweedledum and tweedledee make a video and it has some veracity? Your the joke..my ears don't lie...

Well they did not do the test. Changing your cables at home tells is very little, at least they bothered to measure something. I really think you have missed the whole point in these debates. If you did some blind ABX tests then we would have more to go on. Really saying you thought you heard something with your bias means nothing.
so a test with a scientific leaning even though the science is open to question? Has rigour in your eyes..so do you grasp on to every scientific clap trap theory with both hands? Never to let go just in case you may have to think for yourself? Blimey big h! That's no way to live..theres to many sheep mate..be the shepherd.

Believe what you want but yes it has more evidence than what some audiophile thinks he hears. And if you bothered to watch it fully you would have seen that they did hear a difference and it was measurable, so instead of slating it, it actually supports your arguement so shows how biased you really are! 

I did watch it..i endured the first ten minutes of tedium whilst they tried to provide their credentials for this silly test! Mahler is the test!!! One of those fine young fellows said he thought the monster cable had a touch more weight? Lol..did I not say with cheap cables you can a guitar with good cables you could guess at the maker of guitar? What does that tell you big h? It's not about extra weight? It's about clarion sound, the decay of notes! The sound of a slight buzz as string hits freeboard..the holographic picture of the performers where you can tell the height of the singer..and where they are standing in the sound stage..very wide soundstage..extra weight in the bass ? Big h it's a big joke..listen with your ears..

What is the silver interconnect brand?
unfortunate name I'm afraid! The manufacturer is called 'achtung audio'

Well that should go well with Mahler.
yes, quite..

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:
Re the video of the two young men doing the cable test? They are too young to be smug! I'm sure it will come in time..i did the test sort of at home..i changed the interconnects for cheap ones and vice versa..these two twits with their salesman rep watches! Are 100% wrong! If you think tweedledum and tweedledee make a video and it has some veracity? Your the joke..my ears don't lie...

Well they did not do the test. Changing your cables at home tells is very little, at least they bothered to measure something. I really think you have missed the whole point in these debates. If you did some blind ABX tests then we would have more to go on. Really saying you thought you heard something with your bias means nothing.
so a test with a scientific leaning even though the science is open to question? Has rigour in your eyes..so do you grasp on to every scientific clap trap theory with both hands? Never to let go just in case you may have to think for yourself? Blimey big h! That's no way to live..theres to many sheep mate..be the shepherd.

Believe what you want but yes it has more evidence than what some audiophile thinks he hears. And if you bothered to watch it fully you would have seen that they did hear a difference and it was measurable, so instead of slating it, it actually supports your arguement so shows how biased you really are!
I did watch it..i endured the first ten minutes of tedium whilst they tried to provide their credentials for this silly test! Mahler is the test!!! One of those fine young fellows said he thought the monster cable had a touch more weight? Lol..did I not say with cheap cables you can a guitar with good cables you could guess at the maker of guitar? What does that tell you big h? It's not about extra weight? It's about clarion sound, the decay of notes! The sound of a slight buzz as string hits freeboard..the holographic picture of the performers where you can tell the height of the singer..and where they are standing in the sound stage..very wide soundstage..extra weight in the bass ? Big h it's a big joke..listen with your ears..

yes, quite..

Well there are quite a few different cables. There is a 30 days return policy so someone may want to try them out and do some blind tests.

K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:

yes, quite..

Well there are quite a few different cables.  There is a 30 days return policy so someone may want to try them out and do some blind tests. 
sounds like a plan..trev c you there? I hope your not skulking? Try it..it may bring a lot of smiles?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Major if the so called great and good tell you to jump in front of a bus? Would you do it? Of course you wouldn't..you put too much credence on scientific twaddle which surprises me as i think your a intelligent man..and fine musician too..sometimes intelligence can be a trap too..blue sky thinking might help...break out of the logical thought pattern..i did change my interconnects and with the cheap ones I could hear a guitar? With my decent interconnects I could almost say what the make of guitar was! That's a huge difference..come and listen..ill give you the cues to listen out for! It may not be night and day to you but the subtleties of difference are massive if one has a ear to hear? Your hifi is hobbled by adherence to your wrong notions..sorry.truth hurts..

Keeper don't take this personally cos I don't 'do' personal insults (usually), there's virtually no one here I wouldn't buy a pint for in real life, and if I lived near to you I'd happily visit you in good faith. But whatever you do, for God's sake don't visit a recording studio, because not only would they laugh at the silly views disciples have about cables, you would be absolutely appalled by the standard of wires and cables they use to connect all their kit together to actually record the stuff you listen to. Don't get me wrong they use good stuff, but they use good stuff as defined by science, not fictional mumbo jumbo :)

TrevC

lindsayt said:
TrevC said:
I have the Leak tuner, currently I'm using a Sony budget amp with remote, A Pioneer CD recorder, A Philips 850 mk II CD player, an LG bluray, B&W 601 speakers, a BK sub and an antimode. Freebie interconnects and blue foo ones that I was given, Speaker cables are 2 runs of 79 strand in parallel. The tuner is the best sounding one I've heard.

For once, think there may be something in the "You're system isn't revealing enough to show cable differences" argument.

I really don't like 601's.

They are very good now the bass is filled in by the fully room compensated sub. Sounded a bit thin before. They are revealing though, lovely mid range and treble. These are mark 1 BTW.

TrevC

BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:

yes, quite..

Well there are quite a few different cables. There is a 30 days return policy so someone may want to try them out and do some blind tests.
sounds like a plan..trev c you there? I hope your not skulking? Try it..it may bring a lot of smiles?

I am skulking with a wry grin. You won't ever get it, will you?

K

keeper of the quays

TrevC said:
BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:
BigH said:

yes, quite..

Well there are quite a few different cables.  There is a 30 days return policy so someone may want to try them out and do some blind tests. 

I am skulking with a wry grin. You won't ever get it, will you?
get what Trev? To be vaguely serious I think the Sony signature sound is ok..your amp and my better Sony amp both have it..i have reconsidered..i think you can borrow the roksan amp..its a muscle amp..lots of power will make those b&w sing! If you ever think about my offer? Then you can try those silver interconnects risk free...im sure you a little more cheerful than usual? Is it the expectation bias of better amp working it's mercurial magic?

K

keeper of the quays

MajorFubar said:
Major if the so called great and good tell you to jump in front of a bus? Would you do it? Of course you wouldn't..you put too much credence on scientific twaddle which surprises me as i think your a intelligent man..and fine musician too..sometimes intelligence can be a trap too..blue sky thinking might help...break out of the logical thought pattern..i did change my interconnects and with the cheap ones I could hear a guitar? With my decent interconnects I could almost say what the make of guitar was! That's a huge difference..come and listen..ill give you the cues to listen out for! It may not be night and day to you but the subtleties of difference are massive if one has a ear to hear? Your hifi is hobbled by adherence to your wrong notions..sorry.truth hurts..

Keeper don't take this personally cos I don't 'do' personal insults (usually), there's virtually no one here I wouldn't buy a pint for in real life, and if I lived near to you I'd happily visit you in good faith. But whatever you do, for God's sake don't visit a recording studio, because not only would they laugh at the silly views disciples have about cables, you would be absolutely appalled by the standard of wires and cables they use to connect all their kit together to actually record the stuff you listen to. Don't get me wrong they use good stuff, but they use good stuff as defined by science, not fictional mumbo jumbo :)
it's ok major..i can't be offended..i was once married to a cruel woman! I can take anything! Lol..i have no plans on visiting a recording studio..if it's anything like that video..a load of idle young blokes with opinions? No thanks! Any news on tarkus at all?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
TrevC said:
lindsayt said:
TrevC said:
I have the Leak tuner, currently I'm using a Sony budget amp with remote, A Pioneer CD recorder, A Philips 850 mk II CD player, an LG bluray, B&W 601 speakers, a BK sub and an antimode. Freebie interconnects and blue foo ones that I was given, Speaker cables are 2 runs of 79 strand in parallel. The tuner is the best sounding one I've heard.

For once, think there may be something in the "You're system isn't revealing enough to show cable differences" argument.

They are very good now the bass is filled in by the fully room compensated sub. Sounded a bit thin before. They are revealing though, lovely mid range and treble. These are mark 1 BTW.
What have you compared your 601's + sub against?

Any electrostatics? Any full sized sealed boxes? Any full sized high efficiency designs?

For me, the engineering content simply isn't there in the 601's for them to be relatively enjoyable speakers.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
.i have no plans on visiting a recording studio..if it's anything like that video..a load of idle young blokes with opinions? No thanks! Any news on tarkus at all?

No generally it's a load of very talented individuals who know exactly how to record, mix and produce. It was a career-path I began to head down in the mid 80s as a 15 year old boy in a local studio and I learned huge amounts. For various reasons I did not progress it professionally, and that is one of my biggest regrets.

No sign yet of Tarkus...it's likely I will work at one of my own pieces before starting another cover. I want to write a classical orchestral piece.

K

keeper of the quays

MajorFubar said:
.i have no plans on visiting a recording studio..if it's anything like that video..a load of idle young blokes with opinions? No thanks! Any news on tarkus at all?

No generally it's a load of very talented individuals who know exactly how to record, mix and produce. It was a career-path I began to head down in the mid 80s as a 15 year old boy in a local studio and I learned huge amounts. For various reasons I did not progress it professionally, and that is one of my biggest regrets.

No sign yet of Tarkus...it's likely I will work at one of my own pieces before starting another cover. I want to write a classical orchestral piece.
classical orchestral piece! Very cool..

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
So, these modern day talented individuals that know how to record, mix and produce.

Where do they learn how to keep their thumbs pressed on the big fat compression button?

K

keeper of the quays

lindsayt said:
So, these modern day talented individuals that know how to record, mix and produce.

Where do they learn how to keep their thumbs pressed on the big fat compression button?
It's the iPod generation, these young Turks are accustomed to hearing mp3s as a main source..and consequently record to the same compressed sound..mp3s can sound very good...with right equipment.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
lindsayt said:

They learn from knowing loudness sells those kind of records. A mastering engineer might have a personal opinion about what music should sound like which is different to how he is expected to master it. But he'll master it how he's expected to, or work will start to dry up.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
The ubiquitous compression strategy isn't working from a sales point of view.

chart

Seems to me that "clueless" would be a more apt description for modern day music producers than "talented".

I wouldn't hold the people involved in the modern day music recording, mixing and production industry as any sort of example when it comes to sound quality - including their choice of equipment and cabling.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
BTW the cables system show down between me and Electro was yesterday.

Should I start a new thread or keep it in this one?

This one is very long

K

keeper of the quays

ellisdj said:
BTW the cables system show down between me and Electro was yesterday.

Should I start a new thread or keep it in this one?

This one is very long
start a new thread! I'm just polishing my qed silver anniversary cables! I'm using brasso..brasso for silver? I'm a rebel..

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm just polishing my qed silver anniversary cables! I'm using brasso..brasso for silver? I'm a rebel..

Too much of a rebel it would seem. Use isopropyl alchohol, brasso leaves an anti tarnish residue that is non-conductive. This might explain the problems you seem to be having with making your wires work...

TrevC

lindsayt said:
TrevC said:
lindsayt said:
TrevC said:

What have you compared your 601's + sub against?

Any electrostatics? Any full sized sealed boxes? Any full sized high efficiency designs?

For me, the engineering content simply isn't there in the 601's for them to be relatively enjoyable speakers.

A friend's Quad electrostatics, nice mid and top end, very lacking bottom end, Ditton 44, good punchy bass but a bit spitty and lack smoothness on classical, A friend's Leak 2060s, wonderful all round but too large a footprint for my room at the time, Leak mini Sandwich poor treble, had some a year, Ditton 15, poor treble, had some for a few years, Wharfedale Melton, parents had them, very nice but not special, plus hundreds in systems that I was repairing various bits of but not listening to in any meaningful way. I haven't heard a system that beats my current one, the subwoofer bass once it was equalized by the Antimode is just incredible and there was never anything wrong with the top end of the 601.

TrevC

andyjm said:
I'm just polishing my qed silver anniversary cables! I'm using brasso..brasso for silver? I'm a rebel..

Too much of a rebel it would seem. Use isopropyl alchohol, brasso leaves an anti tarnish residue that is non-conductive. This might explain the problems you seem to be having with making your wires work...

Brasso wadding works very well on scratched perspex lids!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
andyjm said:

Careful, some people do not believe in science or logic or any other ridiculous idea that shows their ideas and beliefs to be completely wrong.

TrevC

lindsayt said:

It's the iPod generation, these young Turks are accustomed to hearing mp3s as a main source..and consequently record to the same compressed sound..mp3s can sound very good...with right equipment.

Pop music has always been compressed. It's nothing new. Everything you hear on the radio, even FM, is compressed.

TrevC

lindsayt said:

All records need audio compression so the quiet parts aren't lost in the noise, so it started way back. Motown sounds better compressed because it's how you always heard it. MP3 at 128k is superior to vinyl in terms of signal to noise.

K

keeper of the quays

TrevC said:
andyjm said:

Too much of a rebel it would seem.  Use isopropyl alchohol, brasso leaves an anti tarnish residue that is non-conductive.  This might explain the problems you seem to be having with making your wires work...

Brasso wadding works very well on scratched perspex lids!
does it? My watch face is a bit opaque will it work with that?

K

keeper of the quays

TrevC said:
lindsayt said:

Pop music has always been compressed. It's nothing new. Everything you hear on the radio, even FM, is compressed.
I'm not compressed! I'm expanding lol..its those pesky hot cross buns..toasted! With butter...i am weak

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts