Interconnect help

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

SteveR750

idc:
The review for the Gotham interconnect is a cracker! I particularly liked the comment about directionality being shown by use of a marker pen! The comments on the review are still positive about the cable and the first one points out that the review calls the Gotham a significant improvement over a freebie cable. Overall the review is a classic example of read what is said and ignore the stars awarded. So my budget is £20, preferrably less and I have heard enough cables so as to be unconvinced, to my ear that they make much of a difference. But I do want a cable that is clearly better made than the rubbish, skinny, plasticy one out the box. Then the Gotham seems ideal.

My next interconnect budget is up to £30 and I need a 50cm one. So, having found peer reviews to be very accurate before, I am looking at the SHB or Chunky or see if I get lucky with second hand off ebay. My present interconnect, a no brand, odd looking grey thing is presently part of a setup that provides me with stunning SQ. (EDIT - before you ask, I want to change them because they are way too long and I have to loop them round all sorts to get them to fit)

Then again IIRC there were lots of good words bandied around for Cambridge Audio's Pacific IC's and they were about £20 when I got some. Better than the freebies of course: better than a half firing set of Chords, no chance; worth the money, yep probably; how many stars? more than 2 I'll wager
emotion-4.gif

idc

Your Lordship. How chunky is a Chunky? I need it to almost bend back on itself and one end will be in my very light DAC.

SteveR. My mate, who I helped to sort out his ancient hifi/av has a set of Pacific interconnects. My job was to dust and clean and once that was done the Pacifics still looked brand new, their connectors shining bright with no sign of oxidisation at all and the cable sheething totally unmarked. A QED interconnect of the same vintage looked ancient, its sheething was white but had yellowed and it needed a very good clean about the contacts.

Last week I moved my TV for the first time in a while to have a new shelf fitted. I bought Cambridge scarts about 10 years ago and I noticed once I had given them a dust, again no oxidisation on the connectors.

Both interconnect and Scart could be cleaned up and appear brand new. A good reason to recommend Cambridge there.

A

Anonymous

idc:
Your Lordship. How chunky is a Chunky? I need it to almost bend back on itself and one end will be in my very light DAC.

idc, I don't think the chunky's the one for you as, I tried one on my Gram Amp and it was no use as the GA is too light. I ended up using my chord chameleon on the GA and use the chunky between my amp and DVD.

A

Anonymous

icehockeyboy:
Ive had both types of Silver High Breeds, the Synergy One, and Two, they are both absolutely amazing ic's for really silly low prices.

Ive had some high end ic's in my system, Black Rhodium Oratorios, (£600) and Chord Anthem, (£330) and the SHB stuff is up there with them soundwise!

I also have the 10 awg speaker cable for them too, absolutely stunning, and easily on par with the £130 a metre stuff I had a while back.

Dont hesitate, try them, money back guarantee, so how can you lose?

Well, after a week or so - these Silver High Breeds are keepers. Stunning resolution and treble.

I'm going to try the speaker cable next.

No affiliation by the way, just a great bargain.

A

Anonymous

Just out of interest, what comparison have you made Graham?

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
idc:Your Lordship. How chunky is a Chunky? I need it to almost bend back on itself and one end will be in my very light DAC.

Its not THAT chunky... It'll bend back on itself but it does push my beresford about. Nice sound though.

SteveR750

I received the synergy 2IC's today, all of £23 for the short 0.5m version which is fine for connecting my CDP to amp on the shelf below it. The current IC's are Chord Cobra II about 1m length I think, which bear in mind are due to go back to Chord because one of the plugs is quite a loose fit on all possible four female sockets, and was also slightly lose on my old NAD system. I think its responsible for a veiling in that channel which causes the soundtage to shift slightly, though a bit of twisting the cable does improve things. I also have another pair of cobra II's where one of the cables has failed completely, but in fairness to Chord they have told me to send both back and they will be repaired FOC...anyway back to the Synergys.

My first impression out of the packet was that they are obviously home made, but its what is in them and not what they look like that counts. The terminals are cambridge audio tight, i.e. almost impossible to fit at first, but at least you know the grounding will be good. I played a couple of discs I know well, by Keb 'Mo and Mark Knopfler. On both the synergys are very similar to the Cobra's, I am having to concentrate quite hard to notice any really significant differences, the effects are really quite subtle. The bass seems a little stronger, maybe better controlled in that its more tuneful, but not massively so, and the rest of the frequency range is possibly dryer, less airy than the Chords. That said on REM's greatest hits the hi-hat is more noticeable than I recall, and certainly overall detail is comparable. To my ears, they sound a little less authorative then the Cobras, but lose nothing in timing.

Overall impressive certainly for £20 odd as they are certainly comparable to the more expensive Chords, and maybe they will burn in maybe they won't, only ears will tell. In summary I have found them lighter, leaner slightly bright sounding, with a smaller less obvious soundstage, so no super bargain status for my system at least.One thing I did notice is one lead wouldnt work initially, and I had to twist the (loose) connections (and both end are loose on the one cable, the other is nice and tight)

I am expecting the speaker cable to arrive later in the week, and will be comparing it to the cheapest QED wire that I have had for about 8 years now, so might be a more interesting opportunity for improvement.

SteveR750

idc:

SteveR. My mate, who I helped to sort out his ancient hifi/av has a set of Pacific interconnects. My job was to dust and clean and once that was done the Pacifics still looked brand new, their connectors shining bright with no sign of oxidisation at all and the cable sheething totally unmarked. A QED interconnect of the same vintage looked ancient, its sheething was white but had yellowed and it needed a very good clean about the contacts.

Last week I moved my TV for the first time in a while to have a new shelf fitted. I bought Cambridge scarts about 10 years ago and I noticed once I had given them a dust, again no oxidisation on the connectors.

Both interconnect and Scart could be cleaned up and appear brand new. A good reason to recommend Cambridge there.

as indeed are the Cobras I have got, then gold doesnt oxidise so they should look new and shiny. It still doesnt make the CA's sound better than a £20 cable....

idc

Nice review of the SHBs SteveR. Not so sure about the home made look, you say one cable did not work initially and loose contacts though. The more I read, especially with your experiences with faulty cables the more I think that build quality, especially of the contacts is more important than make. On that build quality issue, re the Cambridge cables, the comparison was with the QED which, when cleaned, the contacts turn the cloth black and the Pacifics that had somehow not attracted any muck at all.

SteveR750

Let me clarify, the plugs appear to be a two part outer, where the pin end screws into the barrel. This is the bit that was loose, not the fit of the plug onto the terminals of the CDP or amp. However, that is precisely the problem I have with the Cobra's: they are loose fitting onto the unit terminals, i.e. they dont have a very tight grip.

OK a couple of more hours in, and more CD's and they do sound pretty good with the Stereophonics Just enough Education, they are certainly brighter than the Cobras, they've woken up the Spendors tweeters for sure. Am spinning U2 Joshua Tree and its easy to follow each instrument line, in particular the volume of the bass guitar in With or Without You is constant, whereas previoulsy I have always found that some muddiness or room resonance has highlighted one of the notes (usually the A and the B).

A

Anonymous

I've received today my second pair of SHB, to connect the DAC. This time I'm comparing it against a QED qunex 3 (around £40), after having replaced a pair of Nordost Blue Heaven between cd and amp. I'm using spotify connected to a V-DAC through the Airport Express and listening to some well known album: the result is pretty good. The SHB seems to be less bright than the QED, but still "open", the bass is definitely tighter and firmer. Next week I'll receive a Van Den Hul integration hybrid, and I'm curious to compare it with the SHB (honestly I never heard a VDH)!

A

Anonymous

Also got my SHB Synergy 2s - pretty impressed from a short demo! Initial impressions are though, bound to change :) still need to compare against the CSP, but am likely to keep the SHB even if CSP turns out better.

A

Anonymous

Brisk:Just out of interest, what comparison have you made Graham?

I did A/B from source to amp with Atlas Voyager, which was the best sounding cable I've had IMHO. I've had esoteric, Audioquest, Atlas Equator and Chord Anthem (Mark 1) over the years.

This just suits my system fine.
emotion-5.gif

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
idc:SHB it is then, thanks Spacehopper.

So are you decided idc?

Why not order both the chunky and the high breed, test them both and send back the one you like least as they're both on a money back deal?

A

Anonymous

Me need help also Taralabs spectrum 1a or Chord chameleon silver plus.

Any opinions which is better?

sheehanjuk

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Graham_Thomas:icehockeyboy:

Ive had both types of Silver High Breeds, the Synergy One, and Two, they are both absolutely amazing ic's for really silly low prices.

Ive had some high end ic's in my system, Black Rhodium Oratorios, (£600) and Chord Anthem, (£330) and the SHB stuff is up there with them soundwise!

I also have the 10 awg speaker cable for them too, absolutely stunning, and easily on par with the £130 a metre stuff I had a while back.

Dont hesitate, try them, money back guarantee, so how can you lose?

Well, after a week or so - these Silver High Breeds are keepers. Stunning resolution and treble. I'm going to try the speaker cable next. No affiliation by the way, just a great bargain.

Ive had the SHB 2 interconnector(1m) for a few days now. Comparing the SHB2 to the Chord Chameleon interconnector intial impressions are the SHB2 reveal a fair bit more detail, the bass and treble are also alot 'tighter' which means the SHB2 produces a more refined sound. Soundstage seems more pronounced also, so in summary the Chord interconnector is now in the draw..

I should have the SHB speaker cable in the next few days and will give impressions comparing to the

Chord Carnival SilverScreen speaker cable asap.

I was/am surprised this interconnector has clearly out-performered a high-rated Chord interconnector and now am waiting to see if this also applies to the SHB speaker cable.

A

Anonymous

sheehanjuk:[

Ive had the SHB 2 interconnector(1m) for a few days now. Comparing the SHB2 to the Chord Chameleon interconnector intial impressions are the SHB2 reveal a fair bit more detail, the bass and treble are also alot 'tighter' which means the SHB2 produces a more refined sound. Soundstage seems more pronounced also, so in summary the Chord interconnector is now in the draw..

I should have the SHB speaker cable in the next few days and will give impressions comparing to the

Chord Carnival SilverScreen speaker cable asap.

I was/am surprised this interconnector has clearly out-performered a high-rated Chord interconnector and now am waiting to see if this also applies to the SHB speaker cable.

I share your initial impressions but need to do a/b comparisons. Treble is especially clear and voices sound amazing but then Chord sounded good too.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I had a £22.40 (inc P&P) e-bay punt on the Silver High Breed Synergy Two to connect my power amp - have to say that I'm mightily impressed. Bass and treble are so much more enhanced and vocals (which the power amp does much to improve) are even more detailed.

Dandy Warhols - Lou Weed

sheehanjuk

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Received the SHB speaker cables yesterday and immediately started comparing to the Chord Carnival SilverScreen speaker cable. First impressions are the SHB cable does not command the same clarity, depth of sound or bass reproduction. Maybe the best way to describle the SHB speaker cable is a watered down sound version of the Chord. The difference is quite clear and even with more burn in I'd easily wager it won't get close, let alone exceed.

So in summary the SHB2 interconnector I found to exceed my Chord Chameleon interconnector by a noticeable margin, the Chord interconnector is the draw.. and will remain so. On the other hand the Chord Carnival SilverScreen speaker cable was quite clearly producing the better sound, this for my system is my findings.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Thats interesting. Am I right in thinking the SHB speaker cable ain't exactly cheap? I picked up 2 x 5m of Chord carnival silver screen bi wire ex demo for £99.

idc

0.5 m of the SHB ordered. Will post back with findings. However, unless it is worse than the cable I already have it will stay, as it is a much better fit length wise than the existing 2.0 m cable..

SteveR750

Today I received my repaired Cobra III IC's, so could do a proper A/B with the 0.5m of those and the SHB's. I've spent all evening listening to the same few CD's, and the differenecs are there, but in my system and to my ears the SHB's are inferior. They are brighter, but not as revealing as the Chords. There is a light loss of low level detail, and eerything sounds too dry, guitars have lost their vibrancy. I think the soundstage is also slightly mpore confused, less distinct. I do wonder though that the dryness is perhaps a more accurate portayal of the sound, its possible the chords are adding soem colour to the sound...if a cable can add anything. So, for the jury is still out, its by no means clear cut yet...

A

Anonymous

SteveR750:Today I received my repaired Cobra III IC's, so could do a proper A/B with the 0.5m of those and the SHB's. I've spent all evening listening to the same few CD's, and the differenecs are there, but in my system and to my ears the SHB's are inferior. They are brighter, but not as revealing as the Chords. There is a light loss of low level detail, and eerything sounds too dry, guitars have lost their vibrancy. I think the soundstage is also slightly mpore confused, less distinct. I do wonder though that the dryness is perhaps a more accurate portayal of the sound, its possible the chords are adding soem colour to the sound...if a cable can add anything. So, for the jury is still out, its by no means clear cut yet...

My findings, and I believe most others that have, or tried SHB's are in total contrast to yours.

As I have mentioned before, I have had a great number of interconnects, from £600 Black Rhodiums down, through Chord's £330 Anthems, to Chorus, to Chameleons, to Silver Sirens, and the SHB;s are up there with the best.

I will concede however, that synergy does play a part, and that perhaps the SHB's simply dont gel with your current set up.

My current system comprises a Squeezebox, into a Theta dac, a Classe pre into a Lyngdorf power amp, and a choice of either PMC FB1+ speakers, or, much to my surprise and delight the newer incarnation of the speakers that preceded my PMC's, Quad 22 L2's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts