Interconnect help

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

SteveR750

On a more serious note, I am using a pair of chord cobra interconects between the Cyrus and the K2. I did have 2 pairs, but one of the cables developed a fault and no longer transmit any signal, and since I lost the receipt have done nothing about replacing them, so an expensive waste of money. The pair that I am using do not have the tightest fitting phono plugs, nowwhere near as snug as the Cambridge audio I/C's I use for my cassette deck and DVD player. I am wondering if the SHB's would give a noticeable difference to the Cobra's within my system.

A

Anonymous

like someone already said, it's a no brainer - it's cheap and has 7-day money back guarantee. Worth a try.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750:On a more serious note, I am using a pair of chord cobra interconects between the Cyrus and the K2. I did have 2 pairs, but one of the cables developed a fault and no longer transmit any signal, and since I lost the receipt have done nothing about replacing them, so an expensive waste of money. The pair that I am using do not have the tightest fitting phono plugs, nowwhere near as snug as the Cambridge audio I/C's I use for my cassette deck and DVD player. I am wondering if the SHB's would give a noticeable difference to the Cobra's within my system.

Or try the chunky cable Spacehopper mentioned earlier in the thread. Again a money back guarantee - I bought some and I think they're very good.

SteveR750

sheehanjuk:

What is the difference between Silver High Breeds, the Synergy One, and Two interconnectors?

Synergy 2 conductors: 3 x 24awg solid core silver-plated copper compared to the standard Synergy which has 2 x 24awg.

sheehanjuk

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750:sheehanjuk:

What is the difference between Silver High Breeds, the Synergy One, and Two interconnectors?

Synergy 2 conductors: 3 x 24awg solid core silver-plated copper compared to the standard Synergy which has 2 x 24awg.

Sorry what i meant to ask is mhat is the sound difference between Syn1 and Syn2 IC?

SteveR750

One is for daytime, the other for nightime use.....
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Dare I utter the name Gotham in these quaters, could it just be the same snowballing hype?

Might give one a try though, they do look very well made. It also looks like they have similar teminations as the atlas range, very tight fitting

SteveR750

Well, I have just fixed a problem of soundstage imbalance, or at least found the rot problem, on my previous system and this one, the right channel seems ever so slightly less bright than the left, causing the soundstage to move to the left. It's really irritating, so I swapped over the chord cobra interconnects as one seems quite a sloppy fit, though none of their plugs can be described as a snug, let alone tight fit. Sure enough its shifted the sound stage to the right, so this is the 2nd pair of dodgy cobra interconnectes that I have. Am seriously unimpressed, hopefully the SHB's will be an improvement, even if all they are is better balanced.

A

Anonymous

SteveR750:Well, I have just fixed a problem of soundstage imbalance...the right channel seems ever so slightly less bright than the left, causing the soundstage to move to the left.
I've become so paranoid about this in my system that I've started to imagine it
emotion-8.gif

SteveR750

igglebert:SteveR750:Well, I have just fixed a problem of soundstage imbalance...the right channel seems ever so slightly less bright than the left, causing the soundstage to move to the left.
I've become so paranoid about this in my system that I've started to imagine it
emotion-8.gif

I thought I had been for about 5 years.....my headphones told me otherwise though so through all this dark period I kept faith with a truth I knew to be real....
emotion-11.gif

SteveR750

Well so far a full 5 stars to Silver High Breed cables for the service. Haven't got the cables yet, but he's a good guy to deal with. Anyone got any updates having received either the IC's or the speaker cables?

idc

The tension builds.......I have to wait a couple of months before I can put in my order
emotion-6.gif
. Have any of you been buying the exchanged used ones instead of brand new?

SteveR750

I've got 2 sets of IC's, a pair of 3m 10AWG speaker cables and some matching jumpers all on their way, all unterminated. I didn't see any returned stuff (pre-burnt in, one could charge a premium for that but somehow think that wouldnt be the case...)

idc

daveh75:Brisk:Dare I utter the name Gotham in these quaters, could it just be the same snowballing hype?My thoughts exactly!

I missed that one. I take it someone said 'you should try Gotham' and it went from there.

SteveR750

well 2/4 of my order is FOC and the rest can be returned, so not got much to lose. Listeing the interview with Ken Ishiwata does it matter or not whther they are "good", personally I think I might be happy with a cheapo placebo.

A

Anonymous

idc:It is the cables where the listing ends with EXC and say used under condition. There are a couple up for sale at the moment.

Interesting. I didn't even notice the I/C i ordered is indeed used...Not that it matters a lot with cables as long as physical condition is good.

EDIT: Got a message from the seller, he listed them used because of a few hours of burn-in, ie they are really not pre-owned/returns/ex-demo or anything of that sort.

idc

I agree SteveR, I would happily buy a £25 placebo than the stupid prices that are paid for other cables. As for Gotham cables, well the same applies. If it ends up getting poor reviews but it works for me so what? The more well known manufacturers get poor reviews at times as well.

SteveR750

idc:I agree SteveR, I would happily buy a £25 placebo than the stupid prices that are paid for other cables. As for Gotham cables, well the same applies. If it ends up getting poor reviews but it works for me so what? The more well known manufacturers get poor reviews at times as well.

Exactly..after all the NAD C352 went from product of the year to a 4 star also ran (though I bet some of the original supertest competitiors weren't downgraded pro rata such is the inconsistency of the WHF data tables), so who would buy one now!! Anyone thats heard one perhaps.....

idc

The review for the Gotham interconnect is a cracker! I particularly liked the comment about directionality being shown by use of a marker pen! The comments on the review are still positive about the cable and the first one points out that the review calls the Gotham a significant improvement over a freebie cable. Overall the review is a classic example of read what is said and ignore the stars awarded. So my budget is £20, preferrably less and I have heard enough cables so as to be unconvinced, to my ear that they make much of a difference. But I do want a cable that is clearly better made than the rubbish, skinny, plasticy one out the box. Then the Gotham seems ideal.

My next interconnect budget is up to £30 and I need a 50cm one. So, having found peer reviews to be very accurate before, I am looking at the SHB or Chunky or see if I get lucky with second hand off ebay. My present interconnect, a no brand, odd looking grey thing is presently part of a setup that provides me with stunning SQ. (EDIT - before you ask, I want to change them because they are way too long and I have to loop them round all sorts to get them to fit)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts