Interconnect help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:
Paulthefilmfan:With these silver hi breed interconnects - it says that they have a 'twin layer of silver braids' an excellent protection against EMI/RFI. But i was only aware that copper mesh screens were the best and main use to block out EMI/RFI in most manufacturers cables, can anyone clarify? Cheers

Hi Paul

As IDC said the best way to reduce 'noise' from the signal itself is via a braid (The more wires and the tighter the braid the better the result). Braided cables also repel airbourne 'EMI'.

All other cables use 'shielding' to repel EMI and some use 'ferrite filters' to repel noise (Which looks like they have some on the cables in question too)

However, these are the first cables ive ever known that have a braid OVER the signal wires (Actually seperate to them from what I can tell). How well they work I have no clue as its a new one on me (And doesnt actually make sense to me).

Im a hugh fan of braided cables as I use them on all my av and hifi equipment (To fantastic effect)

I suppose it don't matter too much about the silver screen if the cable have ferrites attached to them. It's just that i have never heard of silver being used as 'screening' to stop EMI/RFI where as copper screening has proven properties and it works. They do look good thought and i am tempted to try them as well as the other ones suggested above.

A

Anonymous

Just to upset the applecart a TAD more...

I had the Silver High Breeds and indeed they are a very very good cable.

Theres another though that I changed to that does what the SHB does, but better.
And its under a fiver.

Hitachi LC-OFC interconnect.

Cheap as chips, shouldnt do what it does - but it does.

Compared it to other highly thought of cables (including Nordost Blue Heaven) and its the best I've heard.

I bought it off a fellow Forum member (From another Forum) so cant mention it here (Fair enough!) and unfortunately I dont have an ebay link.

I'm sure though its there if you look for it.

At a fiver its worth a punt!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Gazjam:
Just to upset the applecart a TAD more...

I had the Silver High Breeds and indeed they are a very very good cable.

Theres another though that I changed to that does what the SHB does, but better.
And its under a fiver.

Hitachi LC-OFC interconnect.

Cheap as chips, shouldnt do what it does - but it does.

Compared it to other highly thought of cables (including Nordost Blue Heaven) and its the best I've heard.

I bought it off a fellow Forum member (From another Forum) so cant mention it here (Fair enough!) and unfortunately I dont have an ebay link.

I'm sure though its there if you look for it.

At a fiver its worth a punt!

I never liked nordosts 'blue heaven' anyways. Far too 'bass light' for my taste

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Spacehopper:Along similar lines, I bought one of these to give it a try and it is absolutely superb and for £25 delivered is quite outstandinig value for money. Also the guy has 100% feedback and a money back guarantee so it's a no-brainer. Only slight drawback is the 0.5 length cable is not as flexible as some.

I've just ordered some of these after reading up. Can't go wrong really - if I don't like them I'll send them back.

idc

There is an interesting article here http://www.atlascables.com/index.php?id=71 about cable conductor types. Apparently the Hitachi LC-OFC is their process to produce oxygen free copper. Further down the article is a piece about silver plated copper, which does not get a good review from Atlas due to emphasis on treble and a lack of bass. The Silver High Breed cable is silver braided about copper, so with the ferrite beads that is maybe to overcome those problems.

This has been a great thread, pointing the way to lesser known cable makers, using known technology, to make high quality cables at less than known brand prices. There is so little on the Silver High Breed that if you google it you find this thread!

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I have owned Chord Crimson, Cobra 3 and VDH Name and D-103 II.
The only one i subsequently sold was the Cobra 3 to get the D-103 II.

My own preference in terms of quality and value is VDH Name which is an excellent cable to use with Arcam systems.

A

Anonymous

lordmortlock:Spacehopper:Along similar lines, I bought one of these to give it a try and it is absolutely superb and for £25 delivered is quite outstandinig value for money. Also the guy has 100% feedback and a money back guarantee so it's a no-brainer. Only slight drawback is the 0.5 length cable is not as flexible as some.

I've just ordered some of these after reading up. Can't go wrong really - if I don't like them I'll send them back.

I think you'll be quite impressed with them, I've had mine for about three months and there negligable difference between the Chunky and my Chord Chameleon and at a third of the price. Let us know what you think of them.

A

Anonymous

I've ordered some Silver High Breeds off Ebay. I will do an A/B 'live' and report back. No brainer trial for the money.

A

Anonymous

Just received a pair of Silver High Breed today (0.5 m £23): first impression is they are quite impressive. And I'm not talking about value for money, they really sound nice. I'm comparing them against a pair of Nordost Blue Heaven, and, in my system, they sound even better: I really like the midrage, detailed but not harsh...more "musical". The bass is tight, deep, solid, and I have l less resonace, the sound is faster. These are definitely keepers in my system!

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
another convert...give them a good few hours to burn in, they get better.

for the money it,s a no brainer, i now have 3 sets.

next try the speaker cable.

A

Anonymous

realmassy:Just received a pair of Silver High Breed today (0.5 m £23): first impression is they are quite impressive. And I'm not talking about value for money, they really sound nice. I'm comparing them against a pair of Nordost Blue Heaven, and, in my system, they sound even better: I really like the midrage, detailed but not harsh...more "musical". The bass is tight, deep, solid, and I have l less resonace, the sound is faster. These are definitely keepers in my system!

You'll be changing your signature then.... Testing mine now - nice treble.

A

Anonymous

seasiders rock:
emotion-11.gif

Which Atlas do/did you use?

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Graham_Thomas:seasiders rock:
emotion-11.gif

Which Atlas do/did you use?

i did have atlas voyager occ, the silver high breeds destroy them at well under half the price....

A

Anonymous

Graham_Thomas: You'll be changing your signature then.... Testing mine now - nice treble.

Changed! I'm so pleased with them that I'd like to try the speaker cables as well...But I've just bought 7m of Nordost Flat...too bad!

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Spacehopper:Along similar lines, I bought one of these to give it a try and it is absolutely superb and for £25 delivered is quite outstandinig value for money. Also the guy has 100% feedback and a money back guarantee so it's a no-brainer. Only slight drawback is the 0.5 length cable is not as flexible as some.

Arrived yesterday. A really well made cable - the plugs lock in really tight. First impressions are good - much better bass detail than chord crimson and a more balanced sound than the blue heavens I was using. Not any more...

They come in 0.7m length now - ideal for my system.

A

Anonymous

Ive had both types of Silver High Breeds, the Synergy One, and Two, they are both absolutely amazing ic's for really silly low prices.

Ive had some high end ic's in my system, Black Rhodium Oratorios, (£600) and Chord Anthem, (£330) and the SHB stuff is up there with them soundwise!

I also have the 10 awg speaker cable for them too, absolutely stunning, and easily on par with the £130 a metre stuff I had a while back.

Dont hesitate, try them, money back guarantee, so how can you lose?

A

Anonymous

Brilliant stuff guys they sound like great value, i think i will have to take the plunge and try em for myself. Thanks for the input as well.

Don Guess

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Now we need What Hifi to do a review. If they do, I reckon the likes of Nordost, VDH, QED and Chord are going to be seriously miffed..

The mark up on cables has long been a disgrace...

A

Anonymous

lordmortlock:Spacehopper:Along similar lines, I bought one of these to give it a try and it is absolutely superb and for £25 delivered is quite outstandinig value for money. Also the guy has 100% feedback and a money back guarantee so it's a no-brainer. Only slight drawback is the 0.5 length cable is not as flexible as some.

Arrived yesterday. A really well made cable - the plugs lock in really tight. First impressions are good - much better bass detail than chord crimson and a more balanced sound than the blue heavens I was using. Not any more...

They come in 0.7m length now - ideal for my system.

Good to hear, I think they are an amazing bargain and will switching all my cables soon. It's nice to know that some patient trawling on ebay can still unearth real gems
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

The SHB is inded a great interconnect, I had one for a wee while.

It was the best I'd heard until I got a hold of a Hitachi LC-OFC interconnect.

A cheapie, oldie but a goodie.

Bettered the SHB in many ways; it did what it did, but better.

Problem is they are pretty hard to get hold of I understand.

SteveR750

I've never bothered with terminated cables, so I guess because of oxidation that this is not ideal, but having just ordered some of the speaker cable, is it essential to get them terminated? Or will they still work to theor potential with bare wire ends?

sheehanjuk

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Gazjam:

The SHB is inded a great interconnect, I had one for a wee while.

It was the best I'd heard until I got a hold of a Hitachi LC-OFC interconnect.

A cheapie, oldie but a goodie.

Bettered the SHB in many ways; it did what it did, but better.

Problem is they are pretty hard to get hold of I understand.

Interesting thread, Ive just ordered SHB 2 interconnector and SHB speaker cable, just wondering how this compares to the Chord company chameleon silver plus interconnect and the Chord silverscreen speaker cable???

Any insight most welcome.

A

Anonymous

Got curious and ordered a pair of SHB I/Cs too... will report back the differences between SHB and Chameleon Silver Plus when I get them (and 'run them in').

SteveR750

chainrock:Got curious and ordered a pair of SHB I/Cs too... will report back the differences between SHB and Chameleon Silver Plus when I get them (and 'run them in').

Which way round should they be run??
emotion-4.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts