Inherited high end system panic

uqbar

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Dear all,

I have inherited a ton of high end, but not perhaps all that new, gear. I have an Oracle turntable with SME arm - fitted with a cartridge I cannot identify, two Krell amplifiers, an Audio Research LS16 pre-amp, Martin Logan speakers and a box made by Chord which I cannot identify... Also about 5,000 LPS (Classical or Indian Classical), a ton of CDS (again Classical or Indian Classical)... cassettes, mini discs - the lot... It's about 40 years' worth of collecting.

So my questions are... 1) How do I wire the damn thing up so it can make sound come out of it? 2) How much is all this stuff worth? And who might be interested in buying the gear first, the LPs second??

I am more than willing to share photos etc. if anyone is interested in either helping a poor, confused neophyte out...

Let me know!

uqbar

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
But... but if I can't wire it up so I can play the damn records it's just a load of unrelated electronic bits.

Help!!

Seriously. Help.

uqbar

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
OK - here goes:

Martin Logan SL3

Krell KSA-100 Mk II (I think)

Audio Research LS16

Oracle Delphi Mk II

Unidentified Chord box

I've posted pix of the devices on my Twitter stream (uqbar 2) - seemed easiest way of doing it!

And thanks ever so much Hi Fi experts!!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Sweet holy Jesus mate, you have inherited that

Ive got goose pimples all over

That Chord box I believe is DAC - not a cheap one either were talking over £1k

uqbar

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock - Thanks! I guess I can take the DAC out of the equation then, since I just want to play LPs so far - is that right?

I have inherited a similarly high end CD player, but have yet to pick it up. Also two cassette players, a tuner and I believe there's a Revox reel to reel somewhere in the mix... don't know model numbers, etc. yet.

But back to the current set up. My real question is: Is the wiring as simple as hooking the Oracle to the Phono input on the LS16, then the speaker cables to the output? Am I missing a step??

Also, how should the switches be set on the pre-amp? It is highly counter-intuitive! And, of course, I am a bit thick.

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
the ls16 is a pre amp,which needs to be connected to the 2 krell power amps,left and right channels,yes connect the tt to the pre amp,speaker cable to the power amps,left and right

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
For a system of that quality, I would sniff out a good local dealer and pay him for his time to set it up for you.........that is if you don't have a friend into hifi.

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Today I got offered a free track on Google Play Music, not quite the same fortune. Still, trade lives with me?

In all seriousness, seek out a local dealer. Once they've recovered from the shock of your story, pay for their time and do things properly. A system of that quality needs the hands of experience. Enjoy! :cheers:

uqbar

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
All good advice. Thanks! I think I may need to get an expert in to look at it, after all. After much swapping of cables, still nothing...

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
In what are do you live, there may be someone on here who might enjoy helping sorting it out with you, cup of coffee and a few biscuits?

uqbar

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
More than happy to supply coffee and biscuits in exchange for any help - I'm in South West London, Wandsworth to be precise. Tweet me @uqbar2...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts