In doubt between Monitor Audio Bronze 2, Dali Zensor 3 and Q Acoustics Concept 20.

Hi all,

I want to get some real hifi speakers and i'm in doubt between Monitor Audio Bronze 2, Dali Zensor 3 and Q Acoustics Concept 20.
It's for a small room (20 m2), my budget is within all these speakers. I don't have an amp yet.

I like deep bass (drum and bass and some house + top 40), but also clear highs.
There is no store for me to test them. What are the pros en cons of them all or is perhaps a floorstanding pair (zensor 5) better when I like base? Although it's a small room..

insider9

Hi,

I've not heard Concept 20 but from what you wrote about drum and bass Zensor 3's would be much better than MA. Auditioned both and bought Zensors 3 myself. They're more musical and versatile to my ears and are unfussy in terms of pairing. MA will feel like lacking in bass in comparison. I'd also definitely not recommend Zensor 5 in that size of room 3's will have more than enough of bass and power.

rainsoothe

Hi. It depends on the rest of your system, and also on your preferences. That's why you should take your amp (at least), and audition for yourself (or, preferably, do it in your own room). As well as Dynaudio Emit 10, add Indiana Line Tesi 260 to your list. The Zensor floorstanders have a pretty flabby bass, imo, it's not tight and punchy.

gasolin

Don't forget about the Q acoustics 3020 and Dynaudio Emit M10

Out of the 3 i wouldn't choose the zensor 3 since many say it has a warm bottom but not deep and i personally find the the top agressive at high levels, ma im not shure

I do love my Q Acoustics 2010i so i would choose q acosutics might be 3020 because of the better tweeter, although many say concept 20 sounds better, i find that hard to belive since the 3020 should sound better (not shure by how much,unfortunally, since i would like to know how big the difference is, because i want to know if 3020 is better than my Dynaudio Emit M10)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You need to find a dealer and go and listen to them. People can help you narrow down a shortlist, but you've already done that. Expecting people to be able to tell you which ones you will prefer is impossible. It's not an exact science.

MajorFubar said:
You need to find a dealer and go and listen to them. People can help you narrow down a shortlist, but you've already done that. Expecting people to be able to tell you which ones you will prefer is impossible. It's not an exact science.

I believe I can only test the Zensor, since there is a dealer in my town. The only have b&w, argon and zensor mostly so I can't listen to the rest well-reviewed speakers...

MajorFubar said:

Agreed, and then buy floorstanders. By the time you factor in a decent pair of stands you might as well. ;-)

gasolin

Hyper1555 . said:
gasolin said:
Don't forget about the Q acoustics 3020 and Dynaudio Emit M10

Could you note the pros and cons of the speakers named? And in what way they are better than the others?

As i allready mentioned the tweeter should sound better from the 3020 than the 2020i, although many say the much more advanced and alot heavier cabinet from the concept 20 makes a difference, i still think without having heard the 3020 that tweeter is better than concept20/20/10i/2020i

I have the dynaudio emit m10 and the top is in a different league more smooth and refined than 2010i and there also to certain degree the concept,(beacuse it's the same tweeter), the tweeter from the 2000 series is also responsible for a clear and open and big sound i tend to find a bit analytic, the power handling of the dynaudio is very good, it sounds as if they can handle alot of power, more than the 2010i which is rated at the same power as the 2020i and concept20 75/150watt, dynaudio 150watt, the dynaudios go down to 50hz so that should be alot deeeper than the 2020i/3020 and concept 20 (64hz), it's neutral but give it a good amp and some well record music, it will sound big,loud and never like it's a cheap speaker, i think the dynaudios can easily handle amps as expensive as 1000 £, Q acoustics 2020i can also do that, but you would never pair it with a 1000£ amp as it might (with out exexaggerate to much) sound like it's the weakest link

gasolin

Hyper1555 . said:
MajorFubar said:

I believe I can only test the Zensor, since there is a dealer in my town. The only have b&w, argon and zensor mostly so I can't listen to the rest well-reviewed speakers...

Hifiklubben?

torikoos

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Hyper1555 . said:
Hi all,

I want to get some real hifi speakers and i'm in doubt between Monitor Audio Bronze 2, Dali Zensor 3 and Q Acoustics Concept 20. It's for a small room (20 m2), my budget is within all these speakers. I don't have an amp yet.

I like deep bass (drum and bass and some house + top 40), but also clear highs. There is no store for me to test them. What are the pros en cons of them all or is perhaps a floorstanding pair (zensor 5) better when I like base? Although it's a small room..

REading through some of the replies, it would appear you are in/near Amsterdam?

Perhaps consider traveling to Leiden (only about 40 minutes from Amsterdam CS) by train.

There are a couple of decent HiFi shops in Leiden, two of which are on the 'Breestraat', a street through which most busses travel and is only 5 minutes by bus from Leiden CS.

The shops are: Overgaauw (they have amongst others: B&W, DALI, KEF, Tannoy etc)

and 100 meters further on the same street, Hifi Studio Number One, who have Monitor Audio etc.

So you could go to both shops, have a listen, get some advice all within one afternoon, and go from there. Hifi Studio number one has just had a refurbishment, and the shop is bigger now, but really good personal service there.

just a thought....

torikoos

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
And there's this shop in Amsterdam: http://hifisolutions.nl/ in the Muiderstraat according to their website.

I have never been, but might be an option for you?

torikoos

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Hyper1555 . said:
Good point! I looked up the stores. They have the kef q100, Dali Zensor 3, b&w and monitor Audio Bronze 2 in leiden! Ill go to that place tuesday I think.

Thanks for the tip!

You're welcome, let us know how you get on, perhaps listening to some speakers, you may decide on something completely different, or get exactly what you thought you'd wanted. Be sure also to check out 'number one', they have a slightly different selection, or be able to demo some of the same speakers in a different setting/different amplifier. It would be a good test to hear if the main character of a speaker still attracts you for example.

If I choose the right speakers (probably the dali zensor 3), what amplifier would be good? I have looked at the dali zensor 3 owners club and some reviews and came to these 3: onkyo-9010 (cheap and great but not much bass?), marantz pm6005 (expensive, but insane highs, not much bass though), and the Denon pma720ae (bass heavy, good highs).

If I want more bass, the Denon has a pre out for a sub. I don't know about the others.

I don't know if the more expensive is worth it, since im on a budget..

gasolin

Hyper1555 . said:
If I choose the right speakers (probably the dali zensor 3), what amplifier would be good? I have looked at the dali zensor 3 owners club and some reviews and came to these 3: onkyo-9010 (cheap and great but not much bass?), marantz pm6005 (expensive, but insane highs, not much bass though), and the Denon pma720ae (bass heavy, good highs).

If I want more bass, the Denon has a pre out for a sub. I don't know about the others.

Marantz PM6005 is not expensive http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/marantz/pm6005/mara-pm6005-blk

Mabye lnclude the Nad C316BEE

insider9

Hyper1555 . said:

I'd disagree on Onkyo a9010 having not much bass. Unless continental version with digital inputs sounds different. In my ears it's got a very nice punchy bass. Plays extremely well with Zensor 3s. Personally at that price point I couldn't find an amp I liked more.

In regards to bass Zensor 3s being back ported will allow you to find the sweet spot by correctly positioning them in relation to back wall. You'll have quite a bit of control of amount and the sound of your bass. I'd definitely recommend that pairing.

insider9

manicm said:
I had the Bronze 2s and I'm surprised anyone who says they can't get down and dirty. They most definitely do but they like to played LOUD, they're not really that great at lower volumes.
I agree on the volume. Definitely makes a difference.

For me it was an overall balance though. Bronze 2 being on the brighter side top end is more pronounced. On my second system I've got Bronze Bx5 and the balance is much better. The highs remain clear but the low mids and bass are better integrated.

Obviously like with anything it's likes and dislikes so no right or wrong.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts