I'm bored with hi-fi.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
"I'm bored with HiFi'" I think this is hardly surprising, given that as a pastime it requires very little skill or on going involvement from the participant, it mostly involves opening your wallet and suffering the sales man, the rest is quite a passive activity.

Of course I like music, but HiFi doesn't involve the listener to do much hence the reward is small. Compare that to learning to play the piano or painting for art, its hard, but your progress however slow is rewarding and requires the participant to put some effort in.
My hobby is pretty active. I can lose days of my week reading reviews & researching stuff because it interests me.

Reactions: Stuart83 and Gray

Gray

I have a whole archive of WHFI mags from 2004 to last year.
I think my archive dates from 20p Hi-fi News 1971 to Hi-fi Choice from November last year (Including 3 or 4 UK titles that no longer exist).
Cover price of Choice now £5.75, though I never pay as much as a quarter of that.
The current offer is 4 issues for £5, which applies to News or Choice....though News is now far too elitist for me.
These days WHF is aimed at kids / goldfish.

Still some worthwhile factual info and reviews in mags....once you disregard the ludicrous cable and accessory 'reviews'.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
I stay thoroughly engaged and beyond with and through my music collection. Thankfully.

Once or twice a month I do visit a local bookstore to enjoy a cup of coffee and browse magazines on my hobbies. The audio magazines with good music reviews are the most entertaining.

Gray

Photography is a great way to stimulate your enjoyment of music, take camera go for a long walk in town or countryside, return home and relax with a beer and some music. Works for me.
I saw my brother's new Nikon Z8 this week.
What a fantastic piece of precision engineering and advanced technology, with a 948 page (all English) user manual.

Just as great hi-fi boosts musical enjoyment, that Z8 sure would enhance the photographic hobby.

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

I saw my brother's new Nikon Z8 this week.
What a fantastic piece of precision engineering and advanced technology, with a 948 page (all English) user manual.

Just as great hi-fi boosts musical enjoyment, that Z8 sure would enhance the photographic hobby.
The Z8 is a stunning piece of kit and just maybe might replace a couple of my Nikon's. Guess your brother is enjoying his hobby with that beauty to play with.

Reactions: Gray
I think my archive dates from 20p Hi-fi News 1971 to Hi-fi Choice from November last year (Including 3 or 4 UK titles that no longer exist).
Cover price of Choice now £5.75, though I never pay as much as a quarter of that.
The current offer is 4 issues for £5, which applies to News or Choice....though News is now far too elitist for me.
These days WHF is aimed at kids / goldfish.

Still some worthwhile factual info and reviews in mags....once you disregard the ludicrous cable and accessory 'reviews'.
My first WHFI mag was back in 1976. That was the first review of the Pioneer SA-706 which I used for 17 years from 1979 until I replaced with Arcam amp from Richer Sounds.

Reactions: Gray

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I think it’s nice to have nice kit, but at the end of the day, it’s all about the music, at least for me. I must admit that these last couple of years I find myself losing interest in music. I think it’s a combination of a certain amount of depression and the apparent lack of really good new music, where have the big bands gone? It seems to me that there’s nothing new to get excited about. I blame the big bands from the 70’s, who used up all the good tunes. To me, modern music is just drivel.
Just my opinion.
I fully agree that the ‘golden age’ for rock music occurred decades ago and if I hadn’t begun listening to classical several years ago, I would be in a quandary now. I’m now as happy listening to Bach as to Steely Dan or Miles Davis. I also find that listening with another person is usually the most enjoyable of musical moments. I’m very fortunate in sharing a love of music and an interest in HiFi with my wife. It’s a real bonus.

Reactions: Freddy58 and Gray
This thread prompted me to make a couple of concerted efforts and actually sit and listen properly. Really enjoyed it, but have come to the rather melancholy conclusion that for the first time in my life I am noticing some roll-off in the high frequencies I can hear. It's just with very quiet, very high and delicate sounds, but it's there (or should I say not there) nonetheless.

I know we all have impaired hearing in comparison with our younger selves, but that doesn't feel great...
Having just listened to the song in question again (I have a hearing test this morning), I am hearing some of what I couldn't hear at all. Maybe there was/is some wax there, but I'm not getting carried away - still expecting my hearing to be deteriorating. We'll see...

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
"I'm bored with HiFi'" I think this is hardly surprising, given that as a pastime it requires very little skill or on going involvement from the participant, it mostly involves opening your wallet and suffering the sales man, the rest is quite a passive activity.

Of course I like music, but HiFi doesn't involve the listener to do much hence the reward is small. Compare that to learning to play the piano or painting for art, its hard, but your progress however slow is rewarding and requires the participant to put some effort in.
I'm not sure I tend to agree.

I think your refering to the people who blindly just throw together whatever fits/told fits with no knowledge or experience nor even an interest in hifi.
Usually the type that is missing out on the exponential joy a decent hifi can bring to music.

This isn't a forum that seems to attract such a participant.

Learning is key to finding such a hifi and in view of keeping this post shorter I won't go to in depth of all the things one needs to learn when building such a tailored hifi to suit their preferences as it's so long and ever growing with new technologies like the advent of room correction, new formats, technical specifications etc etc as if learning about what different types of amps, speakers, sub woofers, CDP, CD transports, DAB, Turntable's, Bluetooth receiver, Streamer, streaming platforms, DACS, Room acoustics, interconnects and dare I say it cables 😲😲 amongst SO many other things isn't enough.

Coincidentally I play a musical instrument and must admit I spend more time on hifi which holisticly contains learning more than what boxes do what.
I think that's mainly because the not so elusive "reward" you mention is much higher to me given that I will never be able to play the guitar as well as the people I can hear through my hifi.

I learned very early analogically speaking, that learning enough to build and set up a decent hifi "is like hearing a top class singer in comparison to throwing together whatever fits without any prior knowledge" is like hearing the local drunk at the pub karaoke.

As a kid as mentioned many times via other posts🥱🥱 my father would repair much much "hifi" and pass it through the loft hatch to me at 12yrs old.
It caused a massive learning curve of whats what.

I learned from watts to ohms law to impedance and all the things in-between.
It made it acutely apparent the exponential gain in enjoyment a decent tailored hifi could bring to music when it's done right.
I was hearing parts of songs that were inaudable before in depths and richness that astounded me
It led to me going through the loft hatch myself into my father's wonderland and learning to solder at 12 and carry out rudimentary electrical repairs on almost anything.

That furthered into repairing just about anything hifi/electrical although still with some instruction from my father by 14 which is when I picked up my first "sound lab" djay decks and mixer.
I took to mixing very well introducing a third deck and sampler I'd repaired then I fell in love with music mixing aswell.

By 15 I was noticed at the local club of all places when I was asked/aloud to step in for 15 mins and takeover at the local rave 😱 set as a friend had told the DJ coincidentally his father i was the one making the mix tapes everyone was listening to at school.

See back then in the early 90s djaying/mixing (The Old Way) was a very involving art not like the cold uninvolved software of today in which everything is done for you at the push of a button turning even the tone deaf into David Guetta

One had to learn to match the different beats and the art of overlap etc, when to mix in and fade out.
How to sample correctly at the right cues.
What various pitch and speed is needed to mix in with the right "HI/high,MIDS/middle TOP/treble"
All whilst patching in a third deck which at times it's very tricky.

I even went on to djay for a second income for awhile.

All if the above is just a drop in the ocean of what can be learned within the world of hifi.

It's Absolutely all connected "within" the same hobby I have and that's hifi where it all comes together.

It would be very naive to think that hifi is just a salesman result and quote "requires very little skill or on going involvement from the participant, it mostly involves opening your wallet and suffering the sales man, the rest is quite a passive activity"

It would be like saying a guitar player just plucks strings attached to a plank of wood from memory.

Your right anyone can throw together a hifi with reviews etc or a recommendation based on someone else's listening preferences thus leading to the wrong kit as nothing substitutes learning.

I see the type of people that just point and buy whatever is on the shelf with a shiny sticker I won't be so presumptuous to say that's what hifi is to you.

I've seen many a sonic disappointment through people using such methods.

Some love music that much it becomes a route to all things hifi simply because they want to experience it as best as they can.
Not unlike a car lover looks to find a better car to experience driving better.
The "ongoing participation" mentioned is ever present, I'm 40 now and still learning, it's room acoustics at the minute as I have a odd shaped room.
Ahhhhh the world of hifi 🤗

It doesn't have to be expensive and salesman's pushed exercise like many insinuate if a knowledge and understanding is formed by learning as with anything else.

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Still love the sound of my bundles, have used it sparingly over the last couple of weeks. Hope I'm not falling out of love with the kit. Perhaps I've had the amp too long, I don't really know - I'm scratching for an answer.
It happens. When I'm all dried up with HiFi, I switch over to PC customisation and frequent the forums and vice versa. I see you like classic automobiles, pretty cool.

It's nice to have diversity of interests or, setup another Hifi system in another room perhaps, bedroom, diner? Doesn't have to be expensive. You can mix and match, hopefully this will give you the desired results.

Last edited:
It happens. When I'm all dried up with HiFi, I switch over to PC customisation and frequent the forums and vice versa. I see you like classic automobiles, pretty cool.

It's nice to have diversity of interests or, setup another Hifi system in another room perhaps, bedroom, diner? Doesn't have to be expensive. You can mix and match, hopefully this will give you the desired results.
I have used the hi-fi since my initial post, although haven't really listened to it, if that makes sense. (While I'm cooking out in the kitchen for example etc etc)

Reactions: Jasonovich

DCarmi

When I'm all dried up with HiFi, I switch over to PC customisation
I built and upgraded or repaired PCs for myself, friends and family for many years. Now I wince if someone asks me for help or advice on such matters. I've deliberately stayed out of touch on developments in this area. Personally, I've never really understood the need for colourful lights in a box. But if that is what is wanted...

My current PC, came in a box from Dell.

although haven't really listened to it
That is fine. I predict, in a while you will pick up a familiar disc, sit down with a cuppa and enjoy the moment.

Friesiansam

I built and upgraded or repaired PCs for myself, friends and family for many years. Now I wince if someone asks me for help or advice on such matters. I've deliberately stayed out of touch on developments in this area. Personally, I've never really understood the need for colourful lights in a box. But if that is what is wanted
Whilst I too have no time for the lights or, cases with big windows, I still like to self-build and upgrade. Gives me complete control over the spec and, I just like doing things myself, so they are done my way. However, I don’t get involved with doing it for many friends and family, stopped that many years ago, just mine and wife’s PCs.

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I built and upgraded or repaired PCs for myself, friends and family for many years. Now I wince if someone asks me for help or advice on such matters. I've deliberately stayed out of touch on developments in this area. Personally, I've never really understood the need for colourful lights in a box. But if that is what is wanted...

My current PC, came in a box from Dell.

That is fine. I predict, in a while you will pick up a familiar disc, sit down with a cuppa and enjoy the moment.
I use to get that a lot, people want to use me to sort out their computer woes. These day's it's just families and close friends. Not everyone is sold into double chamber fish tank cases and lights. If i tried to rationalise this, there's nothing logical about this apart from the aesthetics, even so, one man's meat is another man's poison :)

Reactions: DCarmi

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Whilst I too have no time for the lights or, cases with big windows, I still like to self-build and upgrade. Gives me complete control over the spec and, I just like doing things myself, so they are done my way. However, I don’t get involved with doing it for many friends and family, stopped that many years ago, just mine and wife’s PCs.
There are a few manufacturers who are not bucking the trend and it's refreshing to see. I like the Fractal Design engineering integrity, nice colours, big vents and definitely no windows. Nice mITX design
My sister is thinking of replacing her tired old laptop with a small desktop, this might be the ticket?

1712314495915.png

Last edited:

Friesiansam

There are a few manufacturers who are not bucking the trend and it's refreshing to see. I like the Fractal Design integrity, nice colours, big vents and definitely no windows. Nice mITX design
My sister is thinking of replacing her tired old laptop with a small desktop, this might be the ticket?

View attachment 6426
I have a Fractal Design Define R5. A good solid, quiet, well designed and well ventilated case, with no windows!

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
If you are involved in any hobby day in day out you will eventually get bored of it. I have several other hobbies: photography, astronomy, gardening, car detailing, luxury watches.... the list goes on. I don't spend every day on forums for one particular hobby and these days try to spend more time on the hobby than the related forum.

Today hooked up my old RS6s. Certainly sounds alien after a couple of years usage of the Dalis. Not sure what to make of them: They definitely sounding good, if a little dated, dare I say. It's the treble that's most notable: Quite metallicy and more prominent that I remember. Certainly not as refined as the Dalis, not as much insight and layered, but I suppose you can't expect it given the price difference.

The only real advantage the RS6s have is they are slightly easier to drive. And you don't need fugly speaker stands.

Although not really sat down for any real lengths, it's made me realise how good those little Scandinavian suckers are.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Today hooked up my old RS6s. Certainly sounds alien after a couple of years usage of the Dalis. Not sure what to make of them: They definitely sounding good, if a little dated, dare I say. It's the treble that's most notable: Quite metallicy and more prominent that I remember. Certainly not as refined as the Dalis, not as much insight and layered, but I suppose you can't expect it given the price difference.

The only real advantage the RS6s have is they are slightly easier to drive. And you don't need fugly speaker stands.

Although not really sat down for any real lengths, it's made me realise how good those little Scandinavian suckers are.
The Monitor Audio R26's not bad speakers at all! Are you planning to setup another system? :)

1712742537523.png

To be honest, I've taken my kit for granted. I've had so long you can become complacent. It's not until you hear something different you fully appreciate how good it is. When I tried the RS6s, still good, but there was a noticable drop-off in sound quality compared to the Dalis.

TRENDING THREADS