if.......

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I prefer the sound of small speakers to large ones so I'd still have a pair of mid-sized standmounts with a subwoofer to augment the bass.

Infact if I could have any speaker in the world I'd still want the ones that I already own.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
davedotco said:
I had the money and the room...

Not really hi-fi, but I wouldn't care....*dance4*

How real would these sound compared to smaller speakers?

Depends what you mean by 'real'.

These are main recording monitors designed to be listened to from a distance in an acoustically designed (contol) room.

They are (were) the speakers of choice in the '70s, both for tracking and mixing so in that sense they are totally 'real' as they are what was intended by the artist/producer.

Andrewjvt said:
Electro said:
These .

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/amplifiers/47-transistor/207-electrocompaniet-emc.html?showall=1

Or maybe 4 X of these as monoblocks when they are put into production .

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/products/dp/dpA2s.html

Or I could just go for these active QB1 XBD-A monsters . *shok*

https://pmc-speakers.com/products/professional/active/qb1-xbd

Dont you think they would have more base than kef eggs?

They have, and more bass...... :)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Electro said:
These .

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/amplifiers/47-transistor/207-electrocompaniet-emc.html?showall=1

Or maybe 4 X of these as monoblocks when they are put into production .

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/products/dp/dpA2s.html

Or I could just go for these active QB1 XBD-A monsters . *shok*

https://pmc-speakers.com/products/professional/active/qb1-xbd

Dont you think they would have more base than kef eggs?

Quite possibly *biggrin*

matthewpiano

Harbeth Monitor 40.2 Domestic. This is based on other Harbeth speakers I've heard in the past, reviews, and the whole philosophy and approach of Harbeth, as well as the 'old-fashioned' wide baffle/shallow depth design.

Otherwise, Spendor SP200 - similar reasons.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I think I would want to make my own. I'd probably go for four 8" drivers ( two in each cab) based on today's equivalent of the Kef B200 (G) (pointless having anything bigger in my room) and something with a bit more 'sparkle' than the T33 tweeter. I'm easily pleased, and since there would be no need to worry about anyone else in this scenario, my woodworking skills (lack of) wouldn't be called into question *smile*

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:
I would go from ATC SCM40A to big ATC's.. probably SCM200ASL or 300ASL together with Antelope Audio pre amp/ dac and Auralic streamer.. I would also have some Stax earphones.

Have you ever compared your 40s to 150s or so

no.. not direct comparision.. but - as you probably know - 40's sounds already massive and 150's adds even more excitement. the sound coming from these over 70kg per speaker boxes is prodigious and you probably won't get the same bold, big soundstage on a smaller ones in a smaller room..

I remember some posters here said before how the ATC can ever be enjoyed.. I'm sitting in front of them right now and.. man.. how they cannot be enjoyed?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
These:

iu

Powered by these:

iu

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
I'd opt for the JBL M2 Active System. ASFAIK it has the best measurements in HiFi and is the definition of state of the art. So I'd love to know whether that would translate into me liking it.

M2System-large.jpg

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
We all know you can get great sound from small speakers or style speakers but at what size does the size impact the reality of the sound quality?

There are a few that normally preach large horns and 15 inch drivers and swear by them.

Every speaker that I've heard with bass drivers smaller than 18" has had bass that is noticeably compromised.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Andrewjvt said:
We all know you can get great sound from small speakers or style speakers but at what size does the size impact the reality of the sound quality?

There are a few that normally preach large horns and 15 inch drivers and swear by them.

Every speaker that I've heard with bass drivers smaller than 18" has had bass that is noticeably compromised.

Whats the best or your favourite make?
Whats your best compromised make with a smaller driver?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Ok if Looks were not important Space was not an issue The wife was not an issue budget was not an issue

What size speakers/make would you guys go for?

This is purely based on sound quality. As ive read recently that most speakers made now are designed to look good or 'fit' then the engineers are told make it work.

What would you have

Id have Atc scm 200s

Looks are unimportant for me. Space is not a particular issue for me. No wife issues regarding hi-fi neither. Budget - not an issue. Depreciation would be.

I've already got the turnkey speakers I'd go for. EV Patricians. Not perfect speakers. But the best set of compromises I've come across so far - sound quality wise.

There are a few speakers I'd be willing to try. Probably some Frankenstein type hybrid. Klangfilm field coils for the midrange backed up by huge driver corner horns for the lower bass and 12" drivers in huge sealed boxes or built into the wall for the upper bass.

I can understand why some people would like ATC's. They're not for me.

I can also understand why someone who was more into Bach and Mozart than me would go for electrostatics.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Andrewjvt said:

Great, if you live in a football stadium *smile*

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Ajani said:
I'd opt for the JBL M2 Active System. ASFAIK it has the best measurements in HiFi and is the definition of state of the art. So I'd love to know whether that would translate into me liking it.

They look interesting. Clicky

Interesting that JBL go to all that trouble to produce those for professional recording studios.

Such a pity then that much of the music coming out of those studios sounds like carp.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
steve_1979 said:
Ajani said:

Interesting that JBL go to all that trouble to produce those for professional recording studios.

Such a pity then that much of the music coming out of those studios sounds like carp.

Only mass market pap or, even worse, great music remastered to sound like pap.

I blame hip-hop...*dirol*

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
Infiniteloop said:
steve_1979 said:
Ajani said:

Only mass market pap or, even worse, great music remastered to sound like pap.

I blame hip-hop...*dirol*

Actually there have been some interesting and potentially important recordings that have been ruined by the 'loudness wars', or whatever. Not all mass market music is pap.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts