If you had a Nothing Burger, what HiFi component would you add to make it more tasty?

Jasonovich

This thread is more whimisical, and we can all wish, can't we :), like the nothing burger that only fuels the imagination.
These PlatiMon VC One speakers from Korea, Youtuber Jay had reviewed and I thought, these speakers visually look amazing and like the metaphor I used for the Nothing Burger, I can only imagine the excellent sound quality.
These Speakers will be the first ingredient I will add to my Nothing Burger.

If you had no limit to your imagination, what's your own personal choice, that will add substance to your Nothing Burger?
1724173838474.png
View: https://youtu.be/yA07x1AIFas?si=YZtsNeq-SGpLNPcC

Reactions: Revolutions

AJM1981

a seat kicker for the couch.

sidenote: Unfortunately it is not a kind of overpriced bells & whistles loudspeaker for a good nothing burger. I would rather pick something from the Wilson catologue instead. The ridiculously priced tunetot or something

Also I don't know if I have to like or dislike the idea of the AMT tweeter in the middle as AMT tweeters kind of have this 'beam' effect, both horizontally and vertically, that.. with a strong personal preference in listening position (above the tweeter, right in front of under it) make it challenging for a tweeter in the middle rather than having it on top.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

I had to look that up, it seems "nothingburger" (original spelling), was coined by a Hollywood gossip columnist in the 1950s and refers to, something of little significance.
I know, indulge me :) I just added a bit of Jasonism (the latter word doesn't exist yet but if I continue writing nonsensical threads hahahaha, Oxford Dictionary can't say no!)

Jasonovich

a seat kicker for the couch.

sidenote: Unfortunately it is not a kind of overpriced bells & whistles loudspeaker for a good nothing burger. I would rather pick something from the Wilson catologue instead. The ridiculously priced tunetot or something

Also I don't know if I have to like or dislike the idea of the AMT tweeter in the middle as AMT tweeters kind of have this 'beam' effect, both horizontally and vertically, that.. with a strong personal preference in listening position (above the tweeter, right in front of under it) make it challenging for a tweeter in the middle rather than having it on top.
The AMT tweeters I didn't think about that, that's a very good point.
One other interesting detail about PlatiMon's, the speaker enclosure is made from aluminium but damped in a special way so that it sounds like traditional wooden cabinets. The rigidity of metal and sonic benefits of wood combined.

Last edited:

AJM1981

The AMT tweeters I didn't think about that, that's a very good point.
One other interesting detail about PlatiMon's, the speaker enclosure is made from aluminium but damped in a special way so that it sounds like traditional wooden cabinets. The rigidity of metal and sonic benefits of wood combined.
One thing that was busted as a myth is the idea that wooden enclosures are (among) the best in terms of accoustics or anything else. Paul McGowan of PS audio (also builds loudspeakers) mentioned that not the material, but 'stiffness' as a property is much better.

And this idea is not new. I once made a reference to stradivari violins that were also different to the violins (in those days) in the sense that they used wood from an older group of trees which made the wood a lot stiffer.

Paul recommended MDF over wood (can be with a wood verneer finish) due its properties, which are overall far more balanced compared to real wood. In this logic anything like plastic, steel, mdf and even stone are optional and far better choices than real wood.

Only point aside: Real "handcrafted" (yes.. :p) wood might add much more to the emotional and commercial value, when it's of a type that is kind of exclusive wood. I once auditioned some really expensive (Swiss , I believe) loudspeakers that were jewels craftmenship wise. But people who buy these, kind of buy that craftmanship as 70% of the product when it comes to price.

AJM1981

Yes. More of that please. I can’t for the life of me understand how ugly most remotes are, and like the designers have gone out of their way to make the layout as complex & non-intuitive as possible.
My Yamaha WXA50 had the remote as only con in a few reviews. It is the same "clicker" that can be found with led light strips. Terrible grip and feel and can easily get lost.

First thing I did was buying a programmable remote (only works with the ones that have this "magic" button on it to hardcopy every button . :)

Reactions: Revolutions
A remote control for that is useable and nice to look at.
Philips used to make a great learning remote range called Pronto Professional. TSU9800 was the one with the largest screen. Managed to get two unused ones that had been found years after they ceased to be made. I consider them priceless. Physical buttons for the most important functions, a row of physicals that you could label and a fully-customisable screen - though the resolution is a long way off screens nowadays.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts