Icon Audio ST40

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
stevebrock said:
Had the Brio on most of today - its good but the ST40 is soo much nicer, smoother, detailed, tighter on bass, better imaging so I have duly bought one - 5-7 days for delivery.

So? You haven't answered my original question. The Icon is better than the Brio but how does the imaging, soundstage, detail, bass control compare with the Elicit-R?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
Had the Brio on most of today - its good but the ST40 is soo much nicer, smoother, detailed, tighter on bass, better imaging so I have duly bought one - 5-7 days for delivery.

So? You haven't answered my original question. The Icon is better than the Brio but how does the imaging, soundstage, detail, bass control compare with the Elicit-R?

dunno mate cant remember now - the last few elicits were just spent trying to find fault with it.

elicit not quite as smooth

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:

dunno mate cant remember now

Mmmm.... :?

Would be very interesting to hear the two together.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:

PP, Steve had to give up on Rega Elicit R, let the man have some fun... ;)

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:

Yup he did. But comparing a £500 with a £1500 amp (approx) is hardly fair, especially when my first question about the Elicit was ignored and the second was "can't remember now". That sounds pretty lame, but if I was to change there'd be those who would ask the same question.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:

Yup he did. But comparing a £500 with a £1500 amp (approx) is hardly fair, especially when my first question about the Elicit was ignored and the second was "can't remember now". That sounds pretty lame, but if I was to change there'd be those who would ask the same question.

you got a point there!

i've demo the Elicit R in my home for 3/4 days and took it back to my Rega dealer, i wanted so much to like the Elicit R but the sound sign was so far off the Brio R, to bright (NOT Arsh) for my ears and with my Dyns, the Elicit R with the RS5 and RP8 sound soooooo good...! But with digital contend the brightness is to evident even with the RS5.

this amp need special attention in speaker pairing, all do, but Elicit R need extra attention to it.

i think with the ST40 Steve found the natural sound of valves giving him relaxed loog listening sessions...

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
PP,

The Elicit was transparent, detailed etc etc i loved it - but that love went sour

The Brio was purely a stop gap

The Icon Audio ST40 is as transparent and detailed as the Elicit, however I found it smoother - No PP not warm, mushy shite - The ST40 is transparent (I will be able to do tweaks to my TT and hear them), also the ST40 has drive, timing, great imaging blah blah - I can't fault it

It is the nicest sounding amp out of the 3 and yes of course the Icon will kill the Brio, probably most trannie amps under £2k too

PP why not go an listen to one?

And as for being lame - mmmmm, just saying how it is remember I had 4 Elcits - 3 went wrong - I did lose the will to live!

stevebrock said:
PP,

The Elicit was transparent, detailed etc etc i loved it - but that love went sour

The Brio was purely a stop gap

The Icon Audio ST40 is as transparent and detailed as the Elicit, however I found it smoother - No PP not warm, mushy shite - The ST40 is transparent (I will be able to do tweaks to my TT and hear them), also the ST40 has drive, timing, great imaging blah blah - I can't fault it

It is the nicest sounding amp out of the 3 and yes of course the Icon will kill the Brio, probably most trannie amps under £2k too

PP why not go an listen to one?

And as for being lame - mmmmm, just saying how it is remember I had 4 Elcits - 3 went wrong - I did lose the will to live!

That's better.

I know you had a ruff time with reliability. But 3 Elicits since last summer and you "can't remember".

floyd droid said:
plastic penguin said:
Funny - I can remember exactly the sound of the A65+ and I haven't had one for nearly 4 years.

You are pullin my chain here ?

Would I? I could give you a blow-by-blow description of the A65's sonic abilities. You could then source one off Fleebay and scrutinise how it was. Could even give you an in-depth run down of my old Pioneer SA-706 which was binned in 1997. Going beyond that, though, all previous amps become a bit foggy.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
floyd droid said:
plastic penguin said:
Funny - I can remember exactly the sound of the A65+ and I haven't had one for nearly 4 years.

You are pullin my chain here ?

Would I? I could give you a blow-by-blow description of the A65's sonic abilities. You could then source one off Fleebay and scrutinise how it was. Could even give you an in-depth run down of my old Pioneer SA-706 which was binned in 1997. Going beyond that, though, all previous amps become a bit foggy.

take it form me he would never entertain a trannie especaily Arcam

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
take it form me he would never entertain a trannie especaily Arcam

images

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Would I? I could give you a blow-by-blow description of the A65's sonic abilities.

Blimey charlie , ok I take my hat off to ya. I couldnt come close to giving a blow by blow description of my 300Bs that I only turned off a couple of hrs ago.

See , bet you thought I was on a wind up .
smileys-whistling-825578.gif

floyd droid said:
plastic penguin said:
Would I? I could give you a blow-by-blow description of the A65's sonic abilities.

Blimey charlie , ok I take my hat off to ya. I couldnt come close to giving a blow by blow description of my 300Bs that I only turned off a couple of hrs ago.

See , bet you thought I was on a wind up .
smileys-whistling-825578.gif

Also bear in mind I had the Arcam for over 6 years and the Pioneer for 17. They are pretty much engrained....

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Steve,

If you're interested, there's an ex demo Icon phono stage RRP£1000 going for less than £400 at Audio Emotion.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

thanks mate, ive seen that already - think the ST40 will be my last purchase for a while - just found out im going to be a Dad again at the ripe old age of 45 - omg 3 kids under 6 - love em all though, oh yeah not forgetting 2 step kids

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Macspur said:
Steve,

If you're interested, there's an ex demo Icon phono stage RRP£1000 going for less than £400 at Audio Emotion.

Mac

thanks mate, ive seen that already - think the ST40 will be my last purchase for a while - just found out im going to be a Dad again at the ripe old age of 45 - omg 3 kids under 6 - love em all though, oh yeah not forgetting 2 step kids

My word! congrats...

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

TRENDING THREADS