Icon Audio ST40

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Something interesting that has come out of Steve's experiences with the ST40 . . . he mentioned he was using it in triode mode and the 4 ohms speaker output :? . . . I cant remember ever having tried the 4ohms output? . . . I should have, the LB1's are not an easy load, I swapped it over yesterday.

Producing more detail without being analytical (brain splitting) but the big bonus is the image, its was good but I have always said the old LS35a beats it? One of my all time 'image favorites' is MFP Allegri Miserere by the Tallis Scholars, recorded in 1980 at Merton College Chapel. Always a spine tingler, with fantastic image of depth, height, placement and ambiance, the 35a's presented it perfectly.

The PMC LB1's are up there with 35a's, now being fed with the ST40's 4 ohm output :O How did I miss this, another bonus, more detail has enabled me to fine tune the cartridge even more. Very small changes that were not previously audible, I can now hear, made possible with the fin tune capabilities of the Audio Mods Classic arm. There I was at 3 o'clock this morning 'tiny tweaking' the cartridge, I know I totally mad, been at it this morning as well. The tweaks are not better or worse, simply more to my liking? . . . just about right now I think . . . sounds good to me anyway.

Sitting typing to Paul Simon's 'Hearts and Bones', not so well received when released in 1983, personally, it rates with Gracelands, less fussy, which I prefer . . . ?

CJSF :dance:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
I was just thinking ahead re:replacements

Hot Rox UK are on my doorstep and sell the Sovtek KT88 for £23 each - like you say cheap!

I am really loving the ST40, even Missus B has commented positively on it.

Will be on the phone to Icon Audio tomorrow!

Happy days!!

Holy EDITED. You haven't had the amp 5 mins and you're worrying about replacement valves already?

Not worrying PP, but Ilike to know the potential costs if a valves does fail.

At the minute the KT88s are really hitting the spot, bearing in mind Im using a transistor phono stage all the top end is here in abundance - something I did have reservations about.

The imaging & soundstage is so much better than the Brio especially on stuff like Suzanne Vega / Judie Tzuke

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
I was just thinking ahead re:replacements

Hot Rox UK are on my doorstep and sell the Sovtek KT88 for £23 each - like you say cheap!

I am really loving the ST40, even Missus B has commented positively on it.

Will be on the phone to Icon Audio tomorrow!

Happy days!!

Holy EDITED. You haven't had the amp 5 mins and you're worrying about replacement valves already?

The imaging & soundstage is so much better than the Brio especially on stuff like Suzanne Vega / Judie Tzuke

And compared to the Elicit-R?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Seems like you got smitten by it.

However, why not send it back and see if you miss it enough to spend £1.5 on it in a week or so?

I once had a John Shearne amplifier, a thing of beauty in an artisan made sort of way ... . It sounded big, detailed and dynamic whilst having none of that typical solid state 'leaness'. - I at the time was spellbound as it made music sound enjoyable in a totally natural way, probably closer to 'live' than any amplifier I've had until then.

After a few weeks I started to notice that although beautifully voiced it painted a picture to large. Everything seemed slightly overblown and I started to miss some of the fine imaging (not necessary detail) that a good transistor amplifier (and as it transpired, a good valve amp) can muster without necessary loosing the 'humanity' in a performance.

I am not for a moment saying that the Icon falls into that paint it large category but your enthusiasm for the Elicit which no-one has remotely described as valve like would make me a little cautious to make fast decisions.

Perhaps sleep over it ... seven or fourteen times and if you still miss it ... go then for it? It's a lot of money and although you would probably get a fair deal for it if you decide to sell it, it is more of a niche product and losses could be fairly high.

regards

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:

However, why not send it back and see if you miss it enough to spend £1.5 on it in a week or so?

this is a really good advise, I did just the same with the Pathos, after a 2 week home demo, i took it back.

and each day that I've pass without him i miss it, the Brio R as good as it is was not up to the Pathos SQ!

After 4 days I run to the dealer and grab it before someone else did... Only 850€ for a 2300€ Amp! I still don't believe that I made this deal... :dance:

There isn't a day that I look at him, and don't smile... 8)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
drummerman said:

this is a really good advise, I did just the same with the Pathos, after a 2 week home demo, i took it back.

and each day that I've pass without him i miss it,

That is so ... sexist.

Regards

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
drummerman said:

and each day that I've pass without him i miss it,

That is so ... sexist.

Regards

:rofl:

so be it!

We're in a relation... Intil the next one... :twisted:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well the ST40 has gone back - had every intention of going to the Wam show at Scalford on Sunday but I have commitments with kids, I was hoping to listen to a few more valve amps.

Had the Brio on most of today - its good but the ST40 is soo much nicer, smoother, detailed, tighter on bass, better imaging so I have duly bought one - 5-7 days for delivery.

Diviided opinion on wether the ST40 needs a valve phono but the Rega MM stage did a grand job so will stick with that for the time being.

Just need to order some longer legs for my hifi rack to accomadate the BEAST

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Diviided opinion on wether the ST40 needs a valve phono but the Rega MM stage did a grand job so will stick with that for the time being

If you are getting the ST40 then you definitely need a good valve phono - at some point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts