Icon Audio ST40

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
floyd droid said:
plastic penguin said:
It would be far too risky to plant a valve amp at the bottom of the rack.

Why would this, for instance , be risky ?.

TP134_front-300x199.jpg

What the fook is it? I've seen smaller blocks of concrete.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
nima said:
Which phono stage are you using, Steve?

Rega £199 jobbie

Having a quick blast as we speak !

There is a fluidity to the presentaion, can't say if the treble is this ot the bass is that - it just sounds effortless.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Canor TP134 , not that big really 435x390x170, its a girlie compared to a Meishu (google it).

Well you did say you didnt like the 'Thunderbirds look' a while back , well summat like that ;)

Ok ,I'm out got stuff to do.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Having a quick blast as we speak !

There is a fluidity to the presentaion, can't say if the treble is this ot the bass is that - it just sounds effortless.

. . . "My word, he has got i"' . . . "he can hear" . . . Its the fluidity of valves Steve, nothing sounds like it . . . IMHO

It will get better with a valve phono stage, used/ex dem ones come cheap'ish??? I got mine ex dem, less 15% . . .

CJSF

PS Just for a feel, this is fair value:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Icon-Audio-PS-1-2-MM-MC-Valve-Phono-Stage-Preamplifier-/171238287259?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item27de98e79b

its MM/MC as well, Same as the one I use, but mine is MM only.

Always thought these looked like good value:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SALE-Angle-Audio-Phono-Stage-with-Virtual-Battery-amp-preamp-Moving-Magnet-New/131123005205?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D286%26meid%3D5019145774759468380%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1048%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D201040848823%26

They will take it back if you dont like it?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
Which mode? (40 Wpc or 'triode' at 20 Wpc?)

A fair question Chebby, I dont know what mode Steve is in? . . . but I have always preferred the fluidity of 'triode'. The low wattage dont seem to worry my 87db speakers or the amp. Be interesting to see what Steve thinks?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
no trouble driving my RS3s to a good level

No harshness at all with anything I have played so far, I don't really know how to describe - all I know is it sounds different to a trannie amp, for the better too, smoooth, detailed and bass just thumnps you in the stomach.

Not tried my DAC yet but I will do

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:

No harshness at all with anything I have played so far, I don't really know how to describe - all I know is it sounds different to a trannie amp, for the better too, smoooth, detailed and bass just thumnps you in the stomach.

Maybe you need to start looking for those Audio-Note AX2s that Matthewpiano was waxing lyrical about a few systems / weeks ago?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Chebby

Ive got this unit on loan - its staying here though :)

Where did you get it from Steve . . . not surprised about the 'here for keeps', thats what happened to me, I had it on loan for a week, turned into 3 weeks, bad weather (snow) January last year, 3 weeks became a negotiation on price for dem stock . . . ?????? plus my excuse, humping 25kgs of valve amp around was not good for my back or my health . . . ;)

CJSF

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
direct Cliff but I have just seen this omg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Icon-Audio-Stereo-300-Mk-II-amplifier-using-300B-valves-Beautiful-condition-/331134937214?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item4d192e287e

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
drummerman said:
How would you describe the differences between the Rega's and the Icon?

Is the soundstage larger?

regards

no harshness whatsoever and the imaging really is superb - I should of demmed it before the Elicit saga!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
no harshness whatsoever and the imaging really is superb - I should of demmed it before the Elicit saga!

Everybody should listen to a good Tube Amp as part of the dem process for 2 channel, provided it falls within the budget........I'm glad you've finally tried it.

There is usually no going back. :twisted:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
stevebrock said:

Everybody should listen to a good Tube Amp as part of the dem process for 2 channel, provided it falls within the budget........I'm glad you've finally tried it.

There is usually no going back. :twisted:

tell me about it... :p

matthewpiano

chebby said:
stevebrock said:

Maybe you need to start looking for those Audio-Note AX2s that Matthewpiano was waxing lyrical about a few systems / weeks ago?

They are certainly superb speakers. I can't afford them but I've actually happened upon a combination I'm very satisfied with anyway. For valves though, those AX2s would be great. Quite different sounding to the RS3s though - I heard them both driven by the Exposure and the Edwards Audio amp and the AN's are a more relaxed listen than the Regas so might not suit Steve.....

floyd droid said:
plastic penguin said:

Canor TP134 , not that big really 435x390x170, its a girlie compared to a Meishu (google it).

Well you did say you didnt like the 'Thunderbirds look' a while back , well summat like that ;)

Ok ,I'm out got stuff to do.

Not heard the brand before. TBH, totally satisfied with my current bundles... if it ain't broke.... ;)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Icon-Audio-Stereo-300-Mk-II-amplifier-using-300B-valves-Beautiful-condition-/331134937214?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item4d192e287e

Hi Steve, the 300 looks a superb amp, however I have no practical experience, Mr Floyd may be better placed?

Therefore looking on a personal note; its to big for me, cant accommodate 460x400mm. Collect only . . . has it got the original packing and valve cover? It will come in two boxes, amp in one, the cover, valves and accessories in the other.

I suspect its taken from the 'amps' that Floyd uses, I think his are 300B's? Its going to perform, but like some women, very high maintenance. Looking on Icons site, new 300B valves start at £100 a go, up to £210 each! If you blow a valve, their nature dictates they will blow oneday or need replacing as a matched set every few years, thats an arm and a leg. One of my KT88's blew in 4 weeks, replaced under guarantee, but after 12 months you are on your own, Icon dont fully GT their valves after a certain period, part life GT? Incidently my KT88's cost £25 a go, cheap enough to do a little valve rolling???

As I say Steve, great idea if you can afford the maintenance???????????????????? . . . A bit like running a Rolls Royce, pick them up for peanuts, just wait for the service and repair bills, great if you have the cash????

CJSF

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Cliff, Keith has give me the low down on it so probably not a good idea as he says its an early model and it is mahoosive.

See what warranty I can get with this unit, if its a no-no then Would be prefable to buy a new unit.

CJSF said:
stevebrock said:

I think his are 300B's? Its going to perform, but like some women, very high maintenance. Looking on Icons site, new 300B valves start at £100 a go, up to £210 each! If you blow a valve, their nature dictates they will blow oneday or need replacing as a matched set every few years, thats an arm and a leg. One of my KT88's blew in 4 weeks, replaced under guarantee, but after 12 months you are on your own, Icon dont fully GT their valves after a certain period, part life GT? Incidently my KT88's cost £25 a go, cheap enough to do a little valve rolling??? As I say Steve, great idea if you can afford the maintenance???????????????????? . . . A bit like running a Rolls Royce, pick them up for peanuts, just wait for the service and repair bills, great if you have the cash???? CJSF

Sorry CJ. Not trying to pick an argument but...

Not too long ago I pointed out, correctly as it happened, that replacement valves can be bloody expensive (as well as proned to overheating etc etc) and you and Floydie and a few other valve heads jumped on me like I was some sort of alien.

We are all defensive towards our bundles but not to a point where info is misleading. Sheesh! I was accused of being a hypocrite recently.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
I suspect its taken from the 'amps' that Floyd uses, I think his are 300B's

I do run a pair of 300B monos CJ , but they are bespoke jobs made by a valve amp genious I know. Still waiting on the new Beastie pre-amp for my 845s by the way ,lol.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts