Question iBasso DC03 + Sony WH1000XM3, and a lot of questions

Wowadamus3

Jun 8, 2021
Visit site
Hello!

Recently i got a pair of WH1000XM3's as a present, and i have to say i am very pleased with the sound, especially with some eq tweaking for some more clarity, they serve me very well as home listening headphones and on the go headphones. I am very new to the headphone world, but i must say that it really got me intrested. I switched from YT Music to tidal with LDAC and i must say i can definetly hear the difference. Then i tried plugging them wired to my phone (Samsung S10 - Exynos version), and i must say it wasn't that bad. Headphones sounded a lot more punchier and louder.

But after some research i found out that the DAC in the s10 Exynos is not so good as it turns out. So i proceed and looked for some DAC's for my phone.
But then i started wondering, does it make any sense?

And that's where my questions began.

Will i hear any significant difference between my phone DAC and the iBasso (or any other DAC's worth meantioning), when using wired XM3's?

Is it a good DAC to run headphones like for example Grado sr60e? This question is raised because i am thinking on buying more let's say "neutral sounding" headphones, that are easy to run so i'll be able to run them with my phone.

I know that all of this is very basic in music lovers world, but as i said i am just begging my jurney with sound, and also my budget for now is quite limited.

In the future i am thinking of buying some proper DAC for my PC - meaby Mojo Cord, but these are just plans for the future.

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Friesiansam

Hello!

Recently i got a pair of WH1000XM3's as a present, and i have to say i am very pleased with the sound, especially with some eq tweaking for some more clarity, they serve me very well as home listening headphones and on the go headphones. I am very new to the headphone world, but i must say that it really got me intrested. I switched from YT Music to tidal with LDAC and i must say i can definetly hear the difference. Then i tried plugging them wired to my phone (Samsung S10 - Exynos version), and i must say it wasn't that bad. Headphones sounded a lot more punchier and louder.

But after some research i found out that the DAC in the s10 Exynos is not so good as it turns out. So i proceed and looked for some DAC's for my phone.
But then i started wondering, does it make any sense?

And that's where my questions began.

Will i hear any significant difference between my phone DAC and the iBasso (or any other DAC's worth meantioning), when using wired XM3's?

Is it a good DAC to run headphones like for example Grado sr60e? This question is raised because i am thinking on buying more let's say "neutral sounding" headphones, that are easy to run so i'll be able to run them with my phone.

I know that all of this is very basic in music lovers world, but as i said i am just begging my jurney with sound, and also my budget for now is quite limited.

In the future i am thinking of buying some proper DAC for my PC - meaby Mojo Cord, but these are just plans for the future.

Thank you for any help you can give me!
I can't comment on the iBasso but, you could try one of the Audioquest devices, black, red or cobalt according to budget, or a Cyrus Soundkey.

A Chord Mojo for your PC, would be an excellent choice.

Wowadamus3

Jun 8, 2021
Visit site
I can't comment on the iBasso but, you could try one of the Audioquest devices, black, red or cobalt according to budget, or a Cyrus Soundkey.

A Chord Mojo for your PC, would be an excellent choice.

I am checking your recommendations right now!

But in your opinion, these will make an improvement in sound or not really?

D

Deleted member 188533

I wouldn't put much money into WH1000XM3's or a Grado SR60E. The Sony's are style cans and are fine for portable use when you need noise cancellation and the Grado's are fine for entry level home use but neither are worthy of something like a Mojo. The headphones are just not capable of scaling with the better source equipment.

Office Dog

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
1. Arguably one of the most cost-effective investments you could make right now is to pay a few dollars for USB Audio Player Pro. (If you subscribe to TIDAL's HiFi service, also purchase the in-app MQA decoder.)
2. When it comes to headphones - as you say - currently, a wired connection is most likely to max audio performance. The Grados you mention are great, and for a neutral sound, though a bit more money, also consider the Austrian Audio Hi-X50.
3. For a more affordable - yet effective for mobile and desktop use - DAC, consider the Helm Bolt or Zorloo Ztella, both of which 'play nice' with Tidal Masters. Or one of the AudioQuest gang. If your budget can stretch, the THX Onyx has added 'grunt' making it more able to happily drive more demanding headphones.
Happy listening.

Jeff Watts

Feb 4, 2021
Visit site
If you want something in the dongle form factor, Shanling UA2 and Hidizs S9 Pro has both single ended and balanced output. Though I don't think you'd be able to use the wh1000xm3 in balanced.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts