I need a good speaker for my old Musical Fidelity A1 amplifier

goodman

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I have a old Musical Fidelity A1 amplifier and I like their sound.

My speakers are B&W DM601 S3 but I would wish to change this speakers.

I´ve thought in 3 options:

a)Rega RS1

b)Monitor Audio Bronze BX5

c)B&W 685 S2

Which one is the better for the A1?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

i think that RS1 will not do justice to your amp, never heard the B&W so will not coment. MA BX5 is a big set of speakers compered to the RS1... What are the dimentions of your listening space and budget?

I've heard the A1 once connected to Dynaudio Focus 140 and loved the combo! It was very close to mine, the A1 and the Pathos do a wonderfull job with Dynaudio loudspeakers.

Don't know your budget but maybe you can find a used pair in good conditions in your area.

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately it is questions like yours that no-one on here can answer and indeed you may get pointed in a completely different direction, as demonstrated by Hi-FiOutlaw.

We vcannot really answer becuase nobody will hear the exact same thing that you do and, ultimately, it is you who have to live with the end result.

Can you actually audition any of those speakers on your list or is this one you have just compiled from reviews?

You say you like the sound (which is not the sound of the amp by the way, but a combination of amp and your current speakers) then you say you want to change the speakers. Why? What do you find lacking?

I would suggest that if you like the sound of your current B&W's and you are restricted to speakers on your list then it is quite obvious to me that you really only have one choice and that is the 685's.

goodman

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Hi,

i think that RS1 will not do justice to your amp, never heard the B&W so will not coment. MA BX5 is a big set of speakers compered to the RS1... What are the dimentions of your listening space and budget?

I've heard the A1 once connected to Dynaudio Focus 140 and loved the combo! It was very close to mine, the A1 and the Pathos do a wonderfull job with Dynaudio loudspeakers.

Don't know your budget but maybe you can find a used pair in good conditions in your area.

I have the speakers in a room of 6,5 metres by 3 metres . I prefer to hear the music when the speakers are separated about 3 metres because the soundstage is better. I think floorstanded give more bass than a bookshelf, so I prefer bookshelf because I like natural sound with clear midrange. I don´t am a fan of big bass.

My budget are 300 - 600 pounds.

Do you think that Dynaudio speakers can to match with the Musical Fidelity A1?. And perhaps some model of Kef, for example, the Q300 or the R100?.

goodman

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
I would suggest that if you like the sound of your current B&W's and you are restricted to speakers on your list then it is quite obvious to me that you really only have one choice and that is the 685's.

I have read excellent comments about B&W 685's (specially with the soundstage) and also I consider this option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts