I love compact discs

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I sold some electronics that I have no use for any more not so long ago and made about 800 quid and I decided to put that money towards a brand new CD player. After a few demos I settled on a Audiolab 8200 for 800 quid from Sevenoaks. good CD players really do bring out the best in those shiny discs, even the ones that are not so well recorded. To those to say that CD's don't sound all that great (I know your out there) you really need to invest in a high quality CD player before judging them. I prefer them to vinyl. I will continue to use CDs as my main sourse of music for years to come.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
I sold some electronics that I have no use for any more not so long ago and made about 800 quid and I decided to put that money towards a brand new cd player. After a few demos I settled on a Audiolab 8200 for 800 quid from seavenoaks. good CD players really do bring out the best in those shiny discs, even the ones that are not so well recorded. To those to say that CD's don't sound all that great (I know your out there) you really need to invest in a high quality CD player before judging them. I prefer them to vinyl. I will continue to use CDs as my main sourse of music for years to come.

You won't find any arguement from this quarter

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
MrReaper182 said:
I sold some electronics that I have no use for any more not so long ago and made about 800 quid and I decided to put that money towards a brand new cd player. After a few demos I settled on a Audiolab 8200 for 800 quid from seavenoaks. good CD players really do bring out the best in those shiny discs, even the ones that are not so well recorded. To those to say that CD's don't sound all that great (I know your out there) you really need to invest in a high quality CD player before judging them. I prefer them to vinyl. I will continue to use CDs as my main sourse of music for years to come.

You won't find any arguement from this quarter

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Not from here either :grin:

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
On the plus side, they still sound good if a little scratched up, which is not true of vinyl, of course.

Also on the plus side you don't have to get up half-way through to flip them over.

On the minus side it's not so easy to, erm, "roll your own" on a CD case AS I AM TOLD it was on an LP sleeve :shhh:

That having been said in the 30+ years since the little silver discs first graced our homes, technology has moved on, and the idea of having bookcases full of CDs in the living room seems a bit 20th century when all the music could be stored on a (solid state even, not spinning rust) hard disc somewhere.

I happen to enjoy both CD and vinyl, and streamed hi-res if it comes to that.

I gave up the CD's jewel cases long ago. Mine are not stored in special files, four to a sheet with space for cover notes.

They don't take up much room at all like that. :)

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I love computers and enjoy building them but I am not planing on using mine with my hi-fi sytem. The two shall remain separate in my apartment. I love having bookcases full of CDs. Long live the CD, long live the high end CD player.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Spanner in works time :)

I have doubled (or even tripled) my purchases of CDs since I packed my old Naim CD5i (my last stand-alone player) away in it's box and replaced it with a DAC about 4 years ago.

It's not a matter of quality (ALAC is just as good - as is FLAC of course - and 320K AAC was 'too close to call' even against the old CD5i), it's a matter of space, clutter, time, organisation, fun and cost. (Why have a CD5i - or any expensive player - when a decent DAC, at a fraction of the size and cost, can do the same job?)

I have no sentimental attachment to CD cases. (Some of the worst packaging ever conceived of.) I get all the same cover art-work, track listings etc. and I was never a fan of the tiny little notes that were barely legible anyway. (I still have them all - along with the stored cases and CDs - but am never going to open a box to read them.)

All that rubbish about the 'tactility / tangibility of the physical object in your hands' is for fetishists and nonsense about wanting to own something you can touch. Yeah, well, I can still go and touch the CDs that I own if I really want a weird moment. ("Sorry dear, I'm just in the cupboard experiencing the tangibility and tactility of the physical format for 5 minutes. I'll be normal again soon.")

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Floyd I have had way to many arguments over the years with people trying to tell me that CD's sound rubbish and vinyl is the way to go. These people have never heard a CD being played though a proper CD player. I like the sound of vinyl but its just I prefer the sound of CDs and I want to share my love for CDs with the wonderful people on the internet. Mad I probably am.

from the first time i listened to cd i prefered it to any other format. try as i might, i have not liked the sound of streaming yet. vinyl has sounded a bit restrained, cassette was my favourite source for a long time due it its portability and price of hardware.15 quid for a walkman was my access to music.

now, i wouldn't be without my Rega Apollo... it still blows me away every time i use it stunning sound quality. and putting a cd on feels like an event!

i'm still buying cd's on a regular basis... i bought 3 today on amazon. for around 10 quid for all 3.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
I love computers and enjoy building them but I am not planing on using mine with my hi-fi sytem. The two shall remain separate in my apartment. I love having bookcases full of CDs. Long live the CD, long live the high end CD player.

This is great, so long as you don't think that those of us who stream lossless files from a NAS or computer hard drive are sacrifiicing the potential sound quality in some way. There are people who think that a CD will only ever sound its best played by a dedicated CD player (or CD transport + DAC), and no amount of trying to coax them with facts - nor even telling them outright that they're a blithering idiot - will shake their beliefs, even though they are provably wrong.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Major everyone to their own. Just because my music is not computer bassed does not mean I have someting against it because I don't. The point of this post was to say that CDs sound wonderful though a great CD player because there are plenty of people who will tell you that CD sound rubbish full stop.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I seem to be going mad over the last few months buying cd's from amazon or 2nd hand , they are coming in at 2 quid a disc or less , at that price you can take a punt at anything you ever liked one song of or go for an entire back cat'

James

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
Major everyone to their own. Just because my music is not computer bassed does not mean I have someting against it because I don't. The point of this post was to say that CDs sound wonderful though a great CD player because there are plenty of people who will tell you that CD sound rubbish full stop.

Clearlly they are equally as wrong, and I agree with you all the way. Very happy to raise a glass with you to your new CDP :cheers:

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
bigfish their were some great cassette decks made that really made tapes sound wonderful. Most people never got to hear top class cassette decks and the sound they were capable of producing so they thought tapes sounded rubbish which was a big shame. In the right cassette deck using the right type of tape most people will be blown away by the sound.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
I seem to be going mad over the last few months buying cd's from amazon or 2nd hand , they are coming in at 2 quid a disc or less , at that price you can take a punt at anything you ever liked one song of or go for an entire back cat'

James

Yes the temptation is strong isn't it, especially when buying used CDs is such an immeasurably safer bet than buying used vinyl.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
their were some great cassette decks made that really made tapes sound wonderful. Most people never got to hear top class cassette decks and the sound they were capable of producing so they thought tapes sounded rubbish which was a big shame. In the right cassette deck using the right type of tape most people will be blown away by the sound.

To be fair though the same criticism can easily be levelled at vinyl, and many of those people who dislike it. One thing which digital achieved right from the offing was to raise the baseline standard. The world's cheapest CD player or MP3 player sounds better than any turntable or tape deck that most people ever heard.

my early introduction to music as a kid was through radio and vinyl, my next door neighbour had some record player of sorts in the early 70's, but barely owned any records. at home we had a mono radio, with a cassette deck. i was introduced to The Beatles, John Denver and Queen on that little radio cassette. it was clear to me at an early age that music was a passion.

i think what CD did for most people is provide excellent quality sound, at a reasonable price. it was out of my reach for a long time. till the late 80's when i could afford to buy my own cd player. up until then, i had listened to everything on a walkman. i still love the sound of tape, i think without tape i would not be the music fan i am now.

daveh75 said:
I'd gladly skip or giveaway the CDs I've amassed over the years having ripped them.

But that would be 'illegal' so they'll stay in storage for the foreseeable.

that could possibly become an occupation for me, keeping other peoples CD's in "storage" .

give them all to me and i will "store" them, till you need them again!

TRENDING THREADS