Denon streaming mini system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Witterings

Thanks for clarifying. What is the highest Airplay can broadcast at? So long as I can get CD quality, I’ll be happy, I won’t be overly concerned about not streaming higher than that.

Yes it is CD quality 16/44.1 although I believe if you have an Android device you could cast it to Chromecast on a WiiM (or any other Chromecast enabled device) and it'll be up up to 24/96.

I'm not trying to sell you Amazon at all but this is just a useful page in terms of different streaming qualities

Witterings

Hi-Fi is a rabbit warren and you can soon end up in endless cycles of swapping things around - trust me, I've been there and bought several versions of the t-shirt. Focus on musical enjoyment and easy access to your music and you'll be on to a winner.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ... This is so true ... but it was me digging the bloomin hole and I've just thrown the spade out :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It's taken me a year and I'm now happy within the last couple of weeks with what I have but there have been many things tried and exchanged along the way.

Poor OP's got it all to look forward to :ROFLMAO:

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
Yes it is CD quality 16/44.1 although I believe if you have an Android device you could cast it to Chromecast on a WiiM (or any other Chromecast enabled device) and it'll be up up to 24/96.

I'm not trying to sell you Amazon at all but this is just a useful page in terms of different streaming qualities

It’s annoying that Apple has gone to the trouble of making its entire catalogue lossless, and Airplay supports lossless streaming, but not with Apple Music. Apparently they’re updating this though so hopefully it’ll change in the near future

Witterings

It’s annoying that Apple has gone to the trouble of making its entire catalogue lossless, and Airplay supports lossless streaming, but not with Apple Music. Apparently they’re updating this though so hopefully it’ll change in the near future

Switch to Amazon until they do .... or get your system sorted 1st and then sign up for the 3 months free trial of Amazon Unlimited (assuming they're still offering that) and try them both back to back.

I've been using it because it's the most cost efficient and the easiest to cast Ultra HD straight from the Amazon App to the WiiM's.
I've very recently tried Qobuz which I really liked but they don't have an easy way to cast 24/192 .... apparently they're working with WiiM to try and develop it and I'll try them properly as soon as they do.

I've never liked Apple as a company because of how they lock you into their ecosystem ... although I will put that into context I bought a new iPhone 13 mini at the end of last week.

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
Rather than quoting big parts of your post, I'm going to address the points as succinctly as possible.

I agree with others that bookshelf speakers mounted on the wall would be the best way to go. They will sound far better than your current arrangement, both because of the change in speakers but also due to the current position being awful as far as sound goes.

If it were me I would opt for a pair of Dali Oberon 1s or Q Acoustics 3010i. They're both small enough to avoid bass boom but have enough to give to ensure musical enjoyment. The Oberon 1s are less fussy than most speakers about positioning, thanks to Dali's wide dispersion design. My little JBL 52L Classics are great fun and front-ported, but they're also a bit more expensive. Either side of the fire place is definitely your best option, just leave some space between the speaker and the side of the chimney breast.

I think the question of CD playback really comes down to the size of your collection. If you only have a relatively small collection I doubt you'll miss anything with streaming as your only source. I still use CD as I have circa 4,000 discs, including some large out-of-print box sets and I'm not ready to part with them. Otherwise I would probably part with CD, keep vinyl for the physical media experience (and its analogue sound), and adopt streaming as my main source. I use it quite regularly now for exploring music, and there's a good choice of different streaming services. I use Qobuz and the new streaming platform launched by Presto Music.

The PM7000N is a very good suggestion if you want a high quality amp and streamer in one box. The HEOS platform is very good and the amplifier section will work very well with the suggested Dali speakers. It will certainly give you even better performance than a MCR-612, good though that is. If you want to add CD playback a Marantz CD6007 is a very good option. Avoid the Rotel CD11 Tribute - I have one which behaves very unpredictably and which is on its way for repair, though we all know how that goes with intermittent faults. My Dad also has one with similar faults and we're not the only people - it's a shame because it's a very fine player and I also own the matching A11 Tribute amp. My 30+ year old Sony works far more reliably and sounds every bit as good, if not better. If you don't want to spend much on a CD player and you choose carefully there's some great value to be had in buying an older player.

You asked me about my system - see below in my signature. All three sources are hugely enjoyable, and though not the most expensive I've had by any means, the speakers are the most engaging I've had. The Bluesound Node 2i streamer is very good, but definitely benefits from being digitally connected to the amp and using the Cyrus' built-in DAC. I've had much more expensive systems, going as far as QUAD Artera CD/Pre-amp and Stereo power amp with all sorts of speakers, but this set-up is much more engaging.

Hi-Fi is a rabbit warren and you can soon end up in endless cycles of swapping things around - trust me, I've been there and bought several versions of the t-shirt. Focus on musical enjoyment and easy access to your music and you'll be on to a winner.
Fantastic post, thank you for taking the time to share that.

The PM7000N is intriguing - it’s at a price point where I could buy the Cambridge CXN and a separate amp, so I suppose that’s a question I also need to ask.

The more CDs get mentioned here, the less wedded to them I am. It’s more for the physical tangible aspect of them rather than solely sound quality. But my collection is definitely modest

Reactions: matthewpianist

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
Switch to Amazon until they do .... or get your system sorted 1st and then sign up for the 3 months free trial of Amazon Unlimited (assuming they're still offering that) and try them both back to back.

I've been using it because it's the most cost efficient and the easiest to cast Ultra HD straight from the Amazon App to the WiiM's.
I've very recently tried Qobuz which I really liked but they don't have an easy way to cast 24/192 .... apparently they're working with WiiM to try and develop it and I'll try them properly as soon as they do.

I've never liked Apple as a company because of how they lock you into their ecosystem ... although I will put that into context I bought a new iPhone 13 mini at the end of last week.

I’m in the Apple ecosystem and love it. Plus my main computer is a new iMac and it delivers a great music experience, so it would take a lot to prise me away from Apple Music. It’s not impossible, but I’d also need to hear a noticeable difference in the streaming quality - I’m still not educated enough in this area to know at what point the differences are more theoretical than actually able to be identified by my ear

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Fantastic post, thank you for taking the time to share that.

The PM7000N is intriguing - it’s at a price point where I could buy the Cambridge CXN and a separate amp, so I suppose that’s a question I also need to ask.

Que?? The PM7000n is £650 whereas the CXN V2 (don't think the non V2 is available still) is £799 plus you'd need a matching amp Cambridge Audio AXA35at a minimum £349 or the Cambridge Audio CXA61 at £699.

So £650 vs £1500 - almost 2.5x the price

Add £399 for the Dali Oberon 1's

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site

Wow, that’s a hell of a price difference!

It looks great. Presumably it’s a higher quality version of the Denon CEOL N11?

matthewpianist

Que?? The PM7000n is £650 whereas the CXN V2 (don't think the non V2 is available still) is £799 plus you'd need a matching amp Cambridge Audio AXA35at a minimum £349 or the Cambridge Audio CXA61 at £699.

So £650 vs £1500 - almost 2.5x the price

Add £399 for the Dali Oberon 1's

The Marantz is a far better amp than the Cambridge Audio AXA35 - more on a par with the CXA61. The Marantz/Dali pairing would be superb.

Witterings

I hope you've just pressed buy now :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: WayneKerr

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
Reading the reviews for the PM7000N, a couple of people mentioned Cambridge CXA61. Anyone here used both to comment on how they compare?

I’m hoping to try these and the cheaper Denon CEOL N11 in person, but I’m preparing myself for it not being possible.

Last edited:

manicm

Thanks for that, really helpful.
AirPlay 2 presumably means I can stream my Apple Music to it? Do you know what quality it is - would it actually stream in CD quality, or would it compress to lower?
I’d definitely get external speakers. This would be to replace my Technics stereo

Airplay will stream at true CD quality i.e. 16/44, and the corresponding bit rate.

WayneKerr

Haha, that’s fair enough! Is it the Marantz I’m considering that you’ve got, the PM7000N?
No, no PM7000n here, I've got the Ruby CDP and amp but I still have my previous kit, (PM+SA8004), which will probably sound similar to the 7000n and I could easily connect up if required.

I'm guessing you're viewing the forum on your phone as most people include their kit in their signature. When using a phone the signature section isn't shown, best way to view is via a PC.

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
No, no PM7000n here, I've got the Ruby CDP and amp but I still have my previous kit, (PM+SA8004), which will probably sound similar to the 7000n and I could easily connect up if required.

I'm guessing you're viewing the forum on your phone as most people include their kit in their signature. When using a phone the signature section isn't shown, best way to view is via a PC.
Ah, I’m on a tablet but new here and hadn’t noticed that very helpful use of signatures

Reactions: WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts