I love compact discs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Vladimir said:
@Bernard

Well for someone not clever you sure have a geeky signature full of tech.
grin.gif

And I understand none of it.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Covenanter said:
CnoEvil said:
For me, Vinyl was something to love, whereas the CD was/is a necessary evil......and I'm not talking sound quality here. CDs come in a cheap and nasty case, aren't an enjoyable item to own, and are far from the indestructible medium that they were originally marketed as......IMO, they are a stepping-stone to high quality streamed music, either from a NAS or a Cloud.

I'm sure you are correct that in the long run music will be delivered in another form. However I actually rather like CDs.
smiley-smile.gif

Chris

Is it the CD you like, or the sound it produces?....though I realise that the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. I think it's fair to say, that less effort is put into album cover art, as the smaller "canvas" of a CD box doesn't do it justice.

I like the sound but I find the format neat and tidy and easy to manage. I agree that it doesn't lend itself to the type of art form that LP covers became and that is a loss but it will go even more with streamed music unless of course it were to come with streamed art work too.

Chris

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
A good CD player should make your badly recorded CDs sound nice. They are never going to sound as good as your good recorded CDs but a good CD plyer should be able to surprise you on just how good they can make those badly recorded discs sound. That's why you should always take some badly recorded music with you when you go to demo hi-fi. I have 4 CD players sitting in my apartment and I can hear the difference between each of them. there's not a huge difference between each of them but they each have their differences. I prefer vinyl covers to CD cases but not the sound (guess i'm weird like that). I also prefered Minidisc and their cases to CD and their cases.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
I prefer vinyl covers to CD cases but not the sound (guess i'm weird like that).

No that's probably the normal standard view. Think I'm in a tiny minority of people who like CD cases, Yes they're fragile and poorly designed but they do the job of protecting their contents (including the inlays and booklets). You can make nearly all old CDs look brand new by treating then to a new plastic case, whereas LP jackets often suffer from split spines, tears, creases, delamination and ring-wear.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
CDs have been and still are my favourite source the last 25years, never going give them up. Although starting to use iTunes through my hifi's for convenience and have also been using lossless for my new stuff (I'm learning!) I think I will always feel my music collection needs to be physical.

I even bought a marantz cd5004 for £145 brand new (amazing CD player for the money) just for the kitchen as I buy about 10 CDs a month and it might take me 3 months to be bothered to put them into iTunes, was trying to use it as iTunes only. If my naim CD player broke it would go back to naim for a service I have no intention of upgrading it.

T

the record spot

MrReaper182 said:
Very true Major. Its the same with people who diss downloading music. Those very people would be blown away by high quality music downloads.

If the mastering is any good. And if the hi-res is a genuine hi-res and not just some another mix stuck on a blu-ray audio release (which is happening).

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
2014 so far, has been a bit of a life changer for me . . . I would not go as far as 'Loving CD's' but certainly, selectively I enjoy them. The same applies to streamed music, put this against vinyl . . . I have to say, that a top quality recording on the black stuff takes some beating, that of course infers there is rubbish there too!

I used to be of the dismissive school,'vinyl is best, beginning and end of story'. The tweaking I have done was in that direction only, recent changes and thoughts have moved me to more of a middle ground. I believe the way the equipment is setup, the type and quality in the digital world, has a lot to do with the end product. Personal circumstances have made a difference, I am getting older, getting up and down to change sides can be a 'pain', literally.

I am selectivly enjoying my music for its own sake, with very little bias these days. :?

CJSF

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
some vinyl sounds better because in the 70's record companys threw millions of pounds into the production and let the artists take their time finishing the album

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
jimmy1 said:
some vinyl sounds better because in the 70's record companys threw millions of pounds into the production and let the artists take their time finishing the album

That and the mass consumption of alcohol, LSD, heroin and marihuana during studio recording sessions.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Love my iPad and my music rips/downloads for ease of use and portability. However, I have encountered difficulties in changing account details and importing past files etc. Also slightly concerned with passwords and access. Are these files actually mine? I can listen to a CD and when I'm done with it I can sell it on or give it away.

What's odd is that my younger sisters use YouTube and Spotify, yet buy music on CD and movies on DVD. Like some above, they throw away the cases. Tempted to go down a similar route considering all the potential issues over ownership and access to my downloads.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
Love my iPad and my music rips/downloads for ease of use and portability. However, I have encountered difficulties in changing account details and importing past files etc. Also slightly concerned with passwords and access. Are these files actually mine? I can listen to a CD and when I'm done with it I can sell it on or give it away. What's odd is that my younger sisters use YouTube and Spotify, yet buy music on CD and movies on DVD. Like some above, they throw away the cases. Tempted to go down a similar route considering all the potential issues over ownership and access to my downloads.

Afraid this post says it all to me. The modern consumer attaches little value to recorded music, giving a knock on affect into the industry? :wall:

Kamikaze Bitter

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Just listening to some jazz (Freddie Hubbard Straight Life) CD sounds great vivid and dynamic. Why I love CD - Freddie was part of 25 cd collectio bought for £40. For the same money how many vinyl jazz records could you buy? Also no pops hiss, crackle, no worries about condition or warps. What's not to like?

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Strangely I can think of only one person among my friends which still buys cd's. All the others use streaming services (spotify is easily the most populair service). It makes me wonder whether the enthousiasm for cd's here is either something of an audiophile-thingy or is perhaps (don't mind me saying this) age related, or both.

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Ripping on a fast desktop makes ripping to .flac quite bearable, I use DBPoweramp which I like, my Roksan K2 will shortly be on Ebay as streaming IMO has no disadvantages over CD's & I find I'm listening to ripped CD's that have only been played once maybe as it's so easy to access them - If buying HQ music were cheaper I would download it but as things stand buying used CD's & ripping is the cheapest way of getting new music though, still have a Cyrus CD transport which as they are hardly worth selling I will hang on to it.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
cse said:
Broner said:
Strangely I can think of only one person among my friends which still buys cd's.

How old are you? 10

I'm often estimated to look younger than I am. Not smoking, living healthy and moisturizer help me slow down some of the visible consequences of aging. But no, I'm not 10 years old. Is my remark that strange or even offensive to you that you feel the need to ask whether I'm 10 years old?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Broner said:
cse said:
Broner said:
Strangely I can think of only one person among my friends which still buys cd's.

How old are you? 10

I'm often estimated to look younger than I am. Not smoking, living healthy and moisturizer help me slow down some of the visible consequences of aging. But no, I'm not 10 years old. Is my remark that strange or even offensive to you that you feel the need to ask whether I'm 10 years old?

Aaaah, don't take too much offence, Broner! cse is just one of the house trolls of the forum... :)

Hi cse! I hope you have a jolly Eastern week-end! :wave:

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Broner said:
cse said:
Broner said:

How old are you? 10

Aaaah, don't take too much offence, Broner! cse is just one of the house trolls of the forum... :)

Hi cse! I hope you have a jolly Eastern week-end! :wave:

I suppose each forum has a couple of those :cheers:

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I love CDs but spend most time using Spotify and internet radio these days. Stick it on and forget about it.

CDs do sound better than 320kbps Spotify though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts