I have £ ~5k and no idea how to spend them. Please help!

kingbeto

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
Hello!
I'm a super fan of WHF. I always read and watch every single review.
As a loyal follower, I bought and assembled my first setup according to all recommendations in the website. I am very happy with the results, really.
Thanks a lot for helping me to have almost 10 years of musical happiness.

Now, after some savings and staying a lot at home for work, I'm ready to upgrade.

I don't want to upgrade everything as I'm very happy with the TT and the phono stage. Maybe in the future, but I have to save more bucks.

For now I'm willing to upgrade my DAC, Amp and speakers (maybe the cables too).

I'm completely lost. Really. The offering is overwhelming and every time I read a review, there is another article saying something different. Unfortunately I can't visit phisical stores to try a particular offer as I live in a non urban area. So, I decided to rely on this incredible community!!! Please help!!

Everything depends a lot on personal tastes. So I'm including the setup I have to bring some light on what like.

I usually hear all kinds of music, from rock to opera, from trash metal (really) to Alan parsons and Toto.
And this is the setup from where I'm coming from:
  • Speakers: B&W 685
  • Amp: ROTEL RA-10
  • Turntable: Rega Planar 3/Elys 2 + Leema Acoustics Elements Phono stage
  • DAC: HRT Microstreamer
  • Cables: Atlas Cables Element Integra...
What setup would you recommend to someone that has £ ~5k to spend?

Thanks a lot.

B.

PS: I could stretch a little bit further from £ 5k, but please don't tell my wife.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 116933

hi there,

That's a nice lump of change and your should be able to get something very nice for that

amps- some these include dacs so will kill 2 birds with one stone

on the list audition list id have (in no particular order

Hegal
Musical fidelity
Naim
Moon
higher-end Rotel

And for a different flavour, class A , but with the right speakers will rock your world
Sugden
Unison Research

Dac's kind of pic your poison but the one I like are

Chord qutest
Denafrips
Niam dac v1
Sugden
and there's some that do streaming as well form the likes of Naim for example.

Speakers for your music taste id be looking at some dynamically active speakers ie speakers that have above average DB ratings 90 and above

Wharfdale
BW
neat
KEF
Fyne audio

For something a bit more special
tannoy heritage line of speakers, the Eatons are very nice
Klipsch heritage line
Revel
JBL

Those are what would be on my audition list, I could write what I think would go with what, but wheres the fun in that! i know you've told us what you like
music-wise but one mans clear and concise is another bright and brittle.

matthewpiano

You have a very well balanced system that punches well above its price. The 685s and Rotel amp are very capable, and it's going to take real care to ensure that any upgrade is a worthwhile improvement. One thing I would certainly advise is not to get swept away by the mythology of 'high end' hi-fi. What it comes down to in the end, is what brings you maximum enjoyment from your music.

To that end, I advise that auditioning is essential and it's well worth planning a special trip to a good dealer to explore your options and listen for yourself. You could well find something you enjoy even more than your current system, but if you find the opposite that's nothing to be embarrassed about. You're talking about a substantial spend and you need to feel it is completely worthwhile.

Given your current system I'd certainly suggest Naim and higher-end Rotel as strong candidates for amplification, but any suggestions can only work as starting points.

gasolin

Buchardt A500 and isoacoustics stands (on the stand,under the speakers or just uynder the speakers if you use them on a desk or some hifi furniture

Add some good powercable like the one supra makes and cable, mabye from atlas

You don't need to buy more

Reactions: kingbeto

kingbeto

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
Buchardt A500 and isoacoustics stands (on the stand,under the speakers or just uynder the speakers if you use them on a desk or some hifi furniture

Add some good powercable like the one supra makes and cable, mabye from atlas

You don't need to buy more

Interesting, so I connect my DAC directly to the Buchardt A500.
And I ditch the amp.
Thanks!

kingbeto

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
Would you mind name a higher-end Rotel model?

I've never heard of the brand Sugden. Would you recommend any particular model?

Thank you!!!

hi there,

That's a nice lump of change and your should be able to get something very nice for that

amps- some these include dacs so will kill 2 birds with one stone

on the list audition list id have (in no particular order

Hegal
Musical fidelity
Naim
Moon
higher-end Rotel

And for a different flavour, class A , but with the right speakers will rock your world
Sugden
Unison Research

Dac's kind of pic your poison but the one I like are

Chord qutest
Denafrips
Niam dac v1
Sugden
and there's some that do streaming as well form the likes of Naim for example.

Speakers for your music taste id be looking at some dynamically active speakers ie speakers that have above average DB ratings 90 and above

Wharfdale
BW
neat
KEF
Fyne audio

For something a bit more special
tannoy heritage line of speakers, the Eatons are very nice
Klipsch heritage line
Revel
JBL

Those are what would be on my audition list, I could write what I think would go with what, but wheres the fun in that! i know you've told us what you like
music-wise but one mans clear and concise is another bright and brittle.

D

Deleted member 116933

Would you mind name a higher-end Rotel model?

I've never heard of the brand Sugden. Would you recommend any particular model?

Thank you!!!

Amps in the sugden range that would be in your budget would be the a21sig and a21se. Similar model numbers but that’s where the similarities end the as21se is a completely different beast. But seeing as you have an anologue front end, they might be just the the ticket. Be warned they get hotter than Hell’s Kitchen so need plenty of breathing room. Very much a top shelf affair

rainsoothe

My room is 16.5 ft (~5mt) wide and 23 ft (~7mt) long
My speakers and be more less 1.5 ft (~50 cm)from walls.

Thank you!
Nice. Well, were it my money, I'd go for a Naim Nait XS3 + Acoustic Energy AE509 speakers (or Revel Performa 3 M106 if you want standmounts), Witchhat N2 speaker cable with Naim plugs at one end (minimum 3.5m lengths even if you don't need that much) and Lindemann Limetree Network Player if you don't need your streamer to have DAC functionality (to connect a TV or CD transport or whatever), or a Cambridge Audio CXN v2 if you need digital inputs. Use the Element Integra as interconnect, they're very good imo, or Chord Clearway if you wanna splurge cash for this upgrade as well.

I agree that planning a trip to audition is preferable, but if it's impossible, this is what I'd get - you can get the streamers off of the sh market if you go too much over budget.

And I also agree that if you like Rotel, you'll like Naim - they kinda do what Rotel do but way better (even at price-matched gear), and boogie like no other.

MartinEvoke50

Aug 30, 2020
Visit site
Hello!
I'm a super fan of WHF. I always read and watch every single review.
As a loyal follower, I bought and assembled my first setup according to all recommendations in the website. I am very happy with the results, really.
Thanks a lot for helping me to have almost 10 years of musical happiness.

Now, after some savings and staying a lot at home for work, I'm ready to upgrade.

I don't want to upgrade everything as I'm very happy with the TT and the phono stage. Maybe in the future, but I have to save more bucks.

For now I'm willing to upgrade my DAC, Amp and speakers (maybe the cables too).

I'm completely lost. Really. The offering is overwhelming and every time I read a review, there is another article saying something different. Unfortunately I can't visit phisical stores to try a particular offer as I live in a non urban area. So, I decided to rely on this incredible community!!! Please help!!

Everything depends a lot on personal tastes. So I'm including the setup I have to bring some light on what like.

I usually hear all kinds of music, from rock to opera, from trash metal (really) to Alan parsons and Toto.
And this is the setup from where I'm coming from:
  • Speakers: B&W 685
  • Amp: ROTEL RA-10
  • Turntable: Rega Planar 3/Elys 2 + Leema Acoustics Elements Phono stage
  • DAC: HRT Microstreamer
  • Cables: Atlas Cables Element Integra...
What setup would you recommend to someone that has £ ~5k to spend?

Thanks a lot.

B.

PS: I could stretch a little bit further from £ 5k, but please don't tell my wife.
Bowers & Wilkins 705S2 = £1194
Rotel RA 1592 Amplifier = £2095
Marantz CD6007 UK Edition = £399
REL T5i Subs x 2 = £ 1098 for TWO Subs ( £549 each )
TOTAL = £4741
LEFT OVER MONEY = £259 ( for speaker cables & Interconnects )

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Audition the Hegel H190 (has a DAC, digital & analogue connections and is quite powerful with good damping factor) if you like it this amp can be a launch pad for all future upgrades and various speakers. It costs £3,200 and you will have £1,800 spare which you can get cables and hunt for good used quality speakers. Of course its all to your liking, you may like a Naim amp as an opposite to the Hegel presentation.

gasolin

Bowers & Wilkins 705S2 = £1194
Rotel RA 1592 Amplifier = £2095
Marantz CD6007 UK Edition = £399
REL T5i Subs x 2 = £ 1098 for TWO Subs ( £549 each )
TOTAL = £4741
LEFT OVER MONEY = £259 ( for speaker cables & Interconnects )

Where do you find a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 705S2 for £1194 ?

Why subwoofers ?

gasolin

Personally i feel that when the front speakers can play bass you will get better sound than adding a subwoofer, since in most cases the front speaker play the full frequency they can + a subwoofer, unless your using a surround amp with high pass filter and it's very hard to integrate a subwoofer 100% perfect for stereo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts