I got in to trouble the other night

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The other night me and the wife was watching a film and there was lots of explosions in the film from canon fiire basically the last pirates of the Caribbean film and suddenly there was a knock at the door it was next door neighbor .

He said are you moving furniture around ? I said no I am watching a film now I didn’t have the film that loud but the subwoofer was kicking out some bass from all of those explosions from the pirates ships .

Anyway it put me off watching the film as it was the first time I have had a complaint from my neighbor he was ok about it but obviously with out me realising it the subwoofer is shifting some bass into next door but normally we crank it when he is at work but because we where into the film I didn’t realise he had comeback from work .

So I do not want to upset my neighbor but I am a bit worried about watching a film at a sensible level without him coming round complaining again so maybe do you think it would help if I turned the sub off when he is at home ?

because that SVS subwoofer I’ve got can really kick some bass out I tell yer it makes the sofa rattle a bit when you get a really big explosions I mean I definitely do not need 2 of them .

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes. It's called being considerate. With so much money invested in high-end AV gear I thought you were at least detatched. The main reason I have never really 'done' AV is because I'm not detached. What's the point of having kit with a million speakers that can throw out 2000 Watts if you have to keep it reined in.

Reactions: eoc69

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Yes. It's called being considerate. With so much money invested in high-end AV gear I thought you were at least detatched. The main reason I have never really 'done' AV is because I'm not detached. What's the point of having kit with a million speakers that can throw out 2000 Watts if you have to keep it reined in.
I’ve only got a 5.1 setup and I am semi -detached I am normally pretty considerate and wait till he has gone out or at work but me and the wife do not get much chance to watch a film together because of our little one and she’s on school holidays but on that day when next door came round my little one was at her grandparents so we took advantage and watched a film together but got caught by the next door as we didn’t realise he had come home .

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Your question was 'should I turn the sub off when he's at home' [and I'm playing my hifi loud enough for him to hear]. That question was the bit I answered. Which is either 'yes' or 'turn it down'.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Your question was 'should I turn the sub off when he's at home' [and I'm playing my hifi loud enough for him to hear]. That question was the bit I answered.
the sub only gets used for films I did try it with music but didn’t like it anyway I see what your saying yes it would be sensible to turn that off when he is at home but I didn’t realise how much the bass traveled next door when I had the sub on I mean I didn’t have the film that loud it was the sub doing it’s job to well .

but my old neighbor who used to live next door a really old chap he was half deaf so he never bothered him and only knew that because I used to help him out and cut his grass and shopping for him but my new next door neighbor doesn’t make any noise and he is always quiet too quiet .

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I realised how loud my hifi must sometimes sound to my neighbours when I was sat in silence once and I heard the guy next door sneezing. Since then I've been very wary of overdoing it, even if I think they're out. In fact one of the reasons I got rid of my old Mission floorstanding speakers is because they were pretty boring at levels I was happy to play them at with my newfound realisation. They only really came alive at higher volumes. My curent speakers are fine at lower volumes.

MajorFubar said:
Why buy a supercar when you’re only allowed to do 70?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I didn’t have the film that loud it was the sub doing it’s job to well

Just picking up on this you possibly have the sub too loud, especially if you can't get it to sound right with music. With music especially, you should barely notice it's on considering your large stereo speakers must surely already have most of the frequency range covered.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I realised how loud my hifi must sometimes sound to my neighbours when I was sat in silence once and I heard the guy next door sneezing. Since then I've been very wary of overdoing it, even if I think they're out. In fact one of the reasons I got rid of my old Mission floorstanding speakers is because they were pretty boring at levels I was happy to play them at with my newfound realisation. They only really came alive at higher volumes. My curent speakers are fine at lower volumes.
yes my speakers are very good at low volume and to be honest I do listen around the 7-8 mark when he is at home with no problem but if he is at work then the volume can go up to 9-10 maybe 11 o’clock on the volume which my amplifier breaks no sweet doing but I do worry about upsetting next door .

just wish I could win the lottery and buy a house in the middle of nowhere *smile*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
davidf said:
MajorFubar said:

Because you have a small ****, basically. More seriously, perhaps also because you like the way it performs at legal speeds. But that's besides the point.

MajorFubar said:
davidf said:

Because you have a small ****, basically. More seriously, perhaps also because you like the way it performs at legal speeds. But that's besides the point.
There’ll be a number of reasons - enjoying the 0-60 acceleration, gripping the road like you’re on rails, or the 30-50 acceleration, the deceleration, and frequently meeting new people (petrol station attendants) can all be part of it. All legal :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
I didn’t have the film that loud it was the sub doing it’s job to well

Just picking up on this you possibly have the sub too loud, especially if you can't get it to sound right with music. With music especially, you should barely notice it's on considering your large stereo speakers must surely already have most of the frequency range covered.
yes my speakers do I was just trying the idea. *biggrin* Anyway the trouble is if I used the sub for music and films they would be 2 different settings because if you want the nice big explosions in a film then you set the sub up that way but with music as you have said you shouldn’t notice it and that would be a different setting .

I probably have got my sub a little bit more punch with films now I managed to get YPAL to work on my Yamaha AV as it used to say when it was measuring the room it used to end saying my speakers where out of phase which they wasn’t but since Yamaha updated my AV I measured the room again and now my speakers are all perfect and not out of phase and I moved my sub to a different spot which seems to work a lot better .

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Do you have suspended floors? If you don't then that's a huge advantage really because at least you know the sound not going to travel via the floor. Sadly I do.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
davidf said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
So I do not want to upset my neighbor but I am a bit worried about watching a film at a sensible level without him coming round complaining again so maybe do you think it would help if I turned the sub off when he is at home ?
Where is the sub in your room in relation to the wall that divides you from him?
I’ve got my surround back speakers behind my sofa which is the divideing wall between me and next door I have sub and the rest of the speakers firing at his wall on the other side of my living room which I cannot do anything about because it’s the longest wall in my living room which I need the space for my Dali opticon 8s .

i did look at the law about noise I thought the noise law came into play at 11pm - 7am but it can be anytime of the day and it doesn’t help when they build houses with stud work that divided your and next door I mean I’ve had it before in the past in a different house I just had a normal TV with normal volume and no home cinema back then and the next door came round and complained because the Tv was to loud it’s a joke really .

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I’ve had it before in the past in a different house I just had a normal TV with normal volume and no home cinema back then and the next door came round and complained because the Tv was to loud it’s a joke really .

"The defendent says he would also like one further similar incident taken into consideration as well Your Honour"

:-D

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
I’ve had it before in the past in a different house I just had a normal TV with normal volume and no home cinema back then and the next door came round and complained because the Tv was to loud it’s a joke really .

"The defendent says he would also like one further similar incident taken into consideration as well Your Honour"

:-D
So what about older people with a hearing problems they would have to turn the tv up to hear it . Anyway that would be my excuse *biggrin*

Blacksabbath25 said:
I’ve got my surround back speakers behind my sofa which is the divideing wall between me and next door I have sub and the rest of the speakers firing at his wall on the other side of my living room which I cannot do anything about because it’s the longest wall in my living room which I need the space for my Dali opticon 8s .

i did look at the law about noise I thought the noise law came into play at 11pm - 7am but it can be anytime of the day and it doesn’t help when they build houses with stud work that divided your and next door I mean I’ve had it before in the past in a different house I just had a normal TV with normal volume and no home cinema back then and the next door came round and complained because the Tv was to loud it’s a joke really .
Surely its a brick wall then a stud wall either side? Or at least battened out on either side?

If your sub isn’t against his wall, then I suppose there’s not too much you can do. I wonder if it’s the quantity of bass that’s getting through to him, or the vibrations via the flooring? If the latter, it may be worth trying out an Auralex Gramma platform. Having said that, it could be the upper bass from the speakers rather than the lower bass from the sub. I find that between upstairs and downstairs here - it’s more the upper punch and midrange that gets through rather than the deep notes.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
So what about older people with a hearing problems they would have to turn the tv up to hear it . Anyway that would be my excuse *biggrin*

Wireless headphones, it's what we've had to do for my 90 year old deaf dad :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
davidf said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Surely its a brick wall then a stud wall either side? Or at least battened out on either side?

If your sub isn’t against his wall, then I suppose there’s not too much you can do. I wonder if it’s the quantity of bass that’s getting through to him, or the vibrations via the flooring? If the latter, it may be worth trying out an Auralex Gramma platform. Having said that, it could be the upper bass from the speakers rather than the lower bass from the sub. I find that between upstairs and downstairs here - it’s more the upper punch and midrange that gets through rather than the deep notes.
yes I have a fake wood floor which has concrete underneath and there probably block between us and stud work with wooden baton that holds the stud work on .

i will just have to turn the sub down a bit but I have put the sub on a granite slab to try and isolate a bit but you know bass it just travels but my main L+Rs without the sub do not give that amount of bass without the sub but with then yes I definitely get the effect you need for films and it does make my sofa vibrate *biggrin* but that’s with the volume on the sub at 2 o’clock setting where normally I have it on at 12 o’clock .

Tonestar1

Blacksabbath25 said:
davidf said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

yes I have a fake wood floor which has concrete underneath and there probably block between us and stud work with wooden baton that holds the stud work on .

i will just have to turn the sub down a bit but I have put the sub on a granite slab to try and isolate a bit but you know bass it just travels but my main L+Rs without the sub do not give that amount of bass without the sub but with then yes I definitely get the effect you need for films and it does make my sofa vibrate *biggrin* but that’s with the volume on the sub at 2 o’clock setting where normally I have it on at 12 o’clock .

There has to be a bit of give and take in these situatuions. I once had a hogmanay party and the police were at the door at 1am as it was too noisy. Crazy neigbour downstairs. If you live next to people you have to realise youe neighbours may want the occasional party. If you dont like that you shouldn't buy an attached property. As long as you aren't doing it every week then i don't think once ot twice a year is too much to ask. We are only human, unfortunately some people can be real assholes.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Tonestar1 said:
If you live next to people you have to realise youe neighbours may want the occasional party. If you dont like that you shouldn't buy an attached property. As long as you aren't doing it every week then i don't think once ot twice a year is too much to ask. We are only human, unfortunately some people can be real assholes.

Yeah we can all afford detached properties can't we. And we all live in semi or terraced houses because we choose to. How about 'if you live attached to someone YOU have to respect THEIR rights?' As you quite rightly say, some people can be arseholes. Your neighbour lived next to one.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
davidf said:

+1 on the suggestion that the bass could well be going through the structure rather than through the air and thence the walls. I used to live in a flat with a concrete 'raft' (I think it's called) floor between me and downstairs, and had problems with the bass being heard down there, even though I was running a conventional stereo system, and not one with a sub. One of those Auralex Gramma Amp Isolation Platforms under each of my speakers solved the problem for about £100 or so, so it might well be trying a suitably-sized one under your sub (and perhaps a smaller one under each of the Opticons too).

Then again, it might be that most older houses were built with nothing more potent than a valve wireless in mind when it came to sound insulation, and modern ones all seem to be designed by people who think a plastic Bluetooth speaker is the height of hi-fi. ;-)

Tonestar1

MajorFubar said:
Tonestar1 said:
If you live next to people you have to realise youe neighbours may want the occasional party. If you dont like that you shouldn't buy an attached property. As long as you aren't doing it every week then i don't think once ot twice a year is too much to ask. We are only human, unfortunately some people can be real assholes.

Yeah we can all afford detached properties can't we. And we all live in semi or terraced houses because we choose to. How about 'if you live attached to someone YOU have to respect THEIR rights?' As you quite rightly say, some people can be arseholes. Your neighbour lived next to one.

The point i was trying to make, possibly unsuccessfully, is that if you purchase a flat or a semi you should expect a reasonable amount of noise from your neighbours. I consider reasonable to be the odd birthday party or celebration once or twice a year. I don't think that's excessive and is perfectly reasonable. What I don't appreciate is the capitals you ARSEHOLE, it takes one to know one. Don't you dare shout at me you muppet. I'm fine with colourful language, I will not accept agression from anyone. Wind your neck back in Major.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts