Sound bars best with film recorded in 5.1

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a sound bar and am very happy with it, Yamaha SR-C20A
Once it is set up for a sound bar from your tv settings have noticed that you only really benefit when a recording is done in say 5.1, like the latest James Bond film and it really sounds amazing, would you agree you need 5.1 to get the full benefit of course, just feel some people not watching in 5.1 are not getting the full benefit of sound ?

Messiah

Do you mean moving to a full 5.1 set up or just using the soundbar but ensuring you are listening to a 5.1 soundtrack?

Personally I have yet to hear a soundbar that can get close to a 'proper' 5.1 set up.

Reactions: Al ears

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
"just using the sound bar but ensuring you are listening to a 5.1 soundtrack"

It does sound very good on my 2.1 sound bar obviously not as good as a proper 5.1 system but still very good

Messiah

Most programmes are in 5.1 as a minimum these days. What is the source, as in DVB, Netflix etc?

The Yammy does virtual surround sound which is why I expect the 5.1 sounds better. Just ensure you are using 5.1 where possible.

If you are happy with it that's all that matters. 😊

stonesfan285

Nov 8, 2023
Visit site
Is there a reason you do not want a 5.1 receiver and speakers? I currently have a Roku "surround" system. It does okay for what it is, I didn't pay much for it. But having heard my friend's receiver and 3.1 system, I think I would rather go this route. With Blu-ray discs, it sounds much better.

gpi2

Mar 24, 2021
Visit site
Is there a reason you do not want a 5.1 receiver and speakers? I currently have a Roku "surround" system. It does okay for what it is, I didn't pay much for it. But having heard my friend's receiver and 3.1 system, I think I would rather go this route. With Blu-ray discs, it sounds much better.
It's my preference. I have a hifi system in the room so more speakers would be too much. I challenge you to hear the difference. This system fills my room with surround sound. I did pay a lot for the Samsung system, they are not cheap and people need to hear what they can do these days. The video I posted gives you some idea of the design and research that goes into them.

stonesfan285

Nov 8, 2023
Visit site
It's my preference. I have a hifi system in the room so more speakers would be too much. I challenge you to hear the difference. This system fills my room with surround sound. I did pay a lot for the Samsung system, they are not cheap and people need to hear what they can do these days. The video I posted gives you some idea of the design and research that goes into them.

I will admit I have not heard the Samsung one.

I tore out my Roku one because it just can't handle the volume. If I turn it up to about 25, it is good and loud but the speakers start popping. The stereo receiver I have hooked up now can handle the volume and sounds better imo than that Roku system. I'm just using the cheap small satellite speakers that it came with because the bookshelf speakers it came with are missing. This was a free, hand-me-down from my parents so I'm not complaining.

gpi2

Mar 24, 2021
Visit site
I will admit I have not heard the Samsung one.

I tore out my Roku one because it just can't handle the volume. If I turn it up to about 25, it is good and loud but the speakers start popping. The stereo receiver I have hooked up now can handle the volume and sounds better imo than that Roku system. I'm just using the cheap small satellite speakers that it came with because the bookshelf speakers it came with are missing. This was a free, hand-me-down from my parents so I'm not complaining.
The volume goes to 100 and we listen at no more than 18 to 20. It's powerful. Some hifi stores are demoing these now, they're that good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts