I gave in...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

Having posted pictures of my Hi-Fi set-up a little while ago, many commented on the fact that the rubbish CRT TV was spoiling the ensemble. Well, I gave in to forum opinion and bought a new LCD TV, which you can see in the piccie below.

It is the Sony KDL-40W4000, which is very much last year's model, but it is an excellent set and I picked it up, new, for £680 and for that price I am made up with it. The picture quality in HD is superb. SD from Sky is so-so. DVD upscaled through the blu-ray player is impressive, too. If I had to pick one hole in it, it would be the 50Hz performance, which although smooth for a 50Hz set, doesn't perform as well as some 100Hz sets with better picture processing engines.

So, thanks for the abuse of my old CRT. I have upgraded as a result and I am very pleased with it!

3659035911_41d49d5e74_o.jpg

A

Anonymous

Hi PhilAllen, yeah you have a great tv there [ i have the 32W4000] especially for that price. I agree, they do look superb in HD, in fact it performs just as well with Sky +, but you would need a video only scart lead, and a optical digital cable for the sound, but you have no amp! Is that next on the list?? I'm sure if we can persuade you to purchase a new tv, then an amp should be easy peasy!!!

A

Anonymous

Mind you, i just remembered, isn't there an optical input on the back?

A

Anonymous

looks great.

are you also putting the tv through the amp?

A

Anonymous

Nope, no current desire for an AV amp, although my Dad has just retired his 10-year old Yamaha AV amp so I could potentially take that off his hands if I did want to go down that route! I am getting married in 2 months as well, so I am going to have to put a lid on all this AV expenditure!

I started by running the TV audio through the amp, but I have to say that I am pretty impressed with the sound on the Sony TV, so I disconnected it. I run the Sky box through the amp, though, so I can listen to digital radio.

And the curtains are staying!

Thanks for the kind words all, I really appreciate the feedback from people 'in the know'.

A

Anonymous

Where did you get that really nice tv stand from? nice tv. Interesting to see how it has come on since the old radiator and crt tv.
emotion-21.gif

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
ive recently done my best to get rid of my old ugly black boxes but if they had looked like

yoursetup they could have stayed. love the dinky silver kit in that wooden stand. seems to match the colur of

the speakers completely.

A

Anonymous

I'd move the speaker out, but there just isn't space as the left speaker can't move. The right speaker is inevitably a little bassier than the the left, but it really isn't that bad, so I feel no need to move it. If I did, the speakers would be far to close together for the listening position and I would lose the imaging.

The colour matching of the stand and the speakers is more fluke than anything. I bought the stand a couple of years ago, guessing that I would eventually get cherry-veneered speakers. Luckily, the Spendor real wood veneers are pretty true in colour, grain, etc. It could just have easily been a pair of PMC FB1i's in Walnut, and then I would have a dilemma!

A

Anonymous

Sweet, very tidy! Are your Cyrus' the standard silver? They look a lot lighter in colour.

A

Anonymous

The Amp and PSX-R's are in Original Silver, but the CD Player is in Quartz Silver. It doesn't notice unless you really look.

TRENDING THREADS