Problem speed connection BT

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
I have BT super fibre in a HMO property been fine (250mps) until now the speed is almost to a halt 20mps download speed got so bad even the Sky news thing on TV is slow or stops also another problem is the Upload speeds are 2 times as fast at 40mps why is this ???
Is there any reason for this to happen?? damage cables maybe ?? or broadband box up the creak latest test gave only 28 mps yet 48 mps upload

Last edited:

Messiah

Could be a number of reasons.

How are you testing the speed? On a wired or wireless connection?

Has the router been reset? Simple off/on to begin with. (Can look at a factory reset but this could mess up any changes you may have made within the router settings like WiFi password etc).

Ideally need to narrow down where the problem is. If you know how to get into the router settings you can check the sync speeds. If they are low then there is likely an issue with the incoming service.

If you don't know how to do this then running a speed test via a device hard wired to the router (ideally just the one device with WiFi off so that other devices do not influence the result). If the speed remains low then I would contact BT to log a fault.

If the sync rate / speed test is nearer the 250mbps then it could be a WiFi issue.

There is more that can be checked but this is a start.

(Saying all this, do BT have online diagnostic tools?)

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Surely the first thing to do is ask your ISP to check your line and see if there is a problem there. If so then BT should be notified (usually by the ISP) to investigate and correct it. If not then do the checks as outlined in the previous post.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Could be a number of reasons.

How are you testing the speed? On a wired or wireless connection?

Has the router been reset? Simple off/on to begin with. (Can look at a factory reset but this could mess up any changes you may have made within the router settings like WiFi password etc).

Ideally need to narrow down where the problem is. If you know how to get into the router settings you can check the sync speeds. If they are low then there is likely an issue with the incoming service.

If you don't know how to do this then running a speed test via a device hard wired to the router (ideally just the one device with WiFi off so that other devices do not influence the result). If the speed remains low then I would contact BT to log a fault.

If the sync rate / speed test is nearer the 250mbps then it could be a WiFi issue.

There is more that can be checked but this is a start.

(Saying all this, do BT have online diagnostic tools?)
told it is the buffer as next door has 290 mps so how do i clean the buffer and where is it

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Turn the router off (Assuming it is the router buffer you are talking about) and wait 30s, then switch it back on and wait for it to connect everything.

Bill
guy who shares the house with me gets 290 mps now i dont he mentioned the buffer but is it the PC is there a buffer on the pc note his PC not affected BT fast fibre

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Turn the router off (Assuming it is the router buffer you are talking about) and wait 30s, then switch it back on and wait for it to connect everything.

Bill
it-crowd-chris-o-dowd.gif

:D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts